Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

A day in London for England match day

A day in London for England match day

Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Ok guys you got me. I will dress in neutral clothes in London. Will save my US kit for gameday in Dublin. Although I do expect to see plenty of fellow Americans in Dublin for the USA vs Ireland game. This is going to be a great trip!
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Avoid white sneakers with slightly tapered leg jeans as that will mark you out just as easily.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
With the recent changes to ticketing, if you have a contactless payment card, you can avoid having to get an Oyster Card. You just tap in and tap out with your credit or debit card - the same fares and price caps will apply.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Done some more research and Jurys Inn is inside the free fare zone at LHR. That makes things nice. So looks like on arrival at T5 I just hop on bus 423 and get off by Hatton Cross tube station, then when leaving just pick up the bus at Hatton Cross and ride to T5. Looks like it is easiest for me to buy a paper one day travelcard for the tube since Saturday would be the only day I need to ride it. Should I buy the travelcard at LHR somewhere? Or could I buy it at Hatton Cross. Keep in mind I have a chip and signature card, no pin so unattended kiosks won't work with my card I will need to buy from a station attendant.

How does the free fare zone at LHR work? I just step on the bus and tell the operator where I am getting off?

Although if I have a paper travelcard, how do I get through the turnstiles with a paper card when everyone else is just tapping an Oyster card? Or is there a place to swipe the card like the subways of NYC?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83

Although if I have a paper travelcard, how do I get through the turnstiles with a paper card when everyone else is just tapping an Oyster card? Or is there a place to swipe the card like the subways of NYC?
All the ticket gates have both a traditional 'slot' for paper tickets (magnetic stripe down) as well as the touch pad for oyster cards.

When you get on the bus, just tell the driver you're getting off at Hatton Cross, and Hatton Cross tube should have a ticket window open http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/stop/940G...eId=piccadilly

If it's not open then there should be a machine that will take UK bank notes. Whilst it's probably do-able with cards, it'll be a lot easier if you have some Ł's on you during your stay.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83

Looking at the ticket gate the ticket readers are to the right hand side. With the ticket (stripe side down)you put it in the slot at the front of the gate and then it gets thrown out at the top (near the yellow oyster reader) pull it out and the gate will open and then walk through.

We don't swipe in the same way as they do in NYC.

handy video
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
With the ticket (stripe side down)you put it in the slot at the front of the gate and then it gets thrown out at the top (near the yellow oyster reader) pull it out and the gate will open and then walk through.
If OP has perhaps been on the Metrorail in Washington DC... the London paper-card turnstiles work just the same way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.