Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

90 Minute connection at LHR -- what happens if I miss my flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

90 Minute connection at LHR -- what happens if I miss my flight?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by TWA884
I have looked at some travel insurance brochures and read the fine print. There are so many exclusions, that for most practical purposes there is no protection for most situations. I wouldn't be surprised if this instance is excluded.
In my experience of policies, I would draw a distinction between cover for missed connections between separately booked services (which if you are on separate tickets would require you to allow generally at least 3 hours + between flights), and compensation for the consequences of delay on a much tighter missed connection with a through ticket, where the compensation would be for the delay and consequences rather than for any new ticket, etc.

The premiums generally run over 10% of the amount covered. That makes no economic sense.
Depends how many trips and flights you are using the policy against. (Assuming we are talking annual policies, rather than single trip cover).

I don't know about where you are based, however, in the United States travel insurance is commonly considered to be an unwise investment.
I'm based in various places in Europe.
And here it is a very wise investment if you are travelling beyond countries where you are based yourself. Most people do no posess any private medical insurance, as they don't need it. So there is no question of having existing health care that will cover you when outside europe, quite appart from the travel disruption benefits.
Even just for travel to other European countries it is wise to have travel insurance, while I would obviously get free primary/emergency medical care and additionally with an EHIC (inter european standardised format of state helath card) also be covered for full treatment of any new conditions, EHIC cards do not provide for repatriation etc, or other insurance style benefits while you are unfit to travel.
I'd be very relaxed in any country where I had EHIC cover that I also felt 'at home' in - as I'd be under no urgency to go home.

Anyway, OP will be looked after by the airlines if they misconnect - as they are on a single ticket.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:00 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by David-A
In my experience of policies, I would draw a distinction between cover for missed connections between separately booked services (which if you are on separate tickets would require you to allow generally at least 3 hours + between flights), and compensation for the consequences of delay on a much tighter missed connection with a through ticket, where the compensation would be for the delay and consequences rather than for any new ticket, etc.
Let me just link an article in Consumer Reports, The US' most respected consumer publication. Again, this is from an American, not European, perspective:
Do you need travel insurance?

Overlapping coverage

Almost $2 billion in travel insurance is sold each year for several what ifs: You need to cancel a trip because of illness, the death of a relative, or bad weather; your belongings are lost or stolen; your traveling companion dies; or you need emergency medical care. Premiums depend on the age of the travelers, the type of coverage, and the trip’s cost. For a standard policy you’ll pay about 5 to 7 percent of the cost of the trip, according to the Insurance Information Institute. Tour operators, cruise-line reps, and travel agents sell two-thirds of the travel policies, and they collect commission on them.

But coverage may be unnecessary if you already have protection through homeowners, auto, life, or health insurance. Credit-card benefits and consumer-protection laws also may help. Bob Hunter, director of insurance at the Consumer Federation of America, says travel insurance is often not worth the price. “Don’t buy insurance that covers small, manageable losses or only a slice of risk,” he says.

For example, losing some of your belongings won’t break you financially, so keep a close eye on your valuables and be ready to accept losing less-valuable stuff. Still losing sleep? Narrow in on what you’re worried about, and see if your insurance or credit cards cover you. Then be flexible. “If you’re worried about dying in a plane crash,” Hunter says, “you should get term life insurance rather than flight insurance, because you might die in a car crash.”

If you’ll be traveling overseas, your health insurance might not provide coverage should you need to see a doctor or be evacuated to a hospital, the insurance institute says. Medicare generally doesn’t cover health-care expenses outside the U.S., although some Medigap policies do. So you might want to consider a medical travel-insurance policy.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

Even just for travel to other European countries it is wise to have travel insurance, while I would obviously get free primary/emergency medical care and additionally with an EHIC (inter european standardised format of state helath card) also be covered for full treatment of any new conditions, EHIC cards do not provide for repatriation etc, or other insurance style benefits while you are unfit to travel.
That is not quite correct. An EHIC will provide cover as though you were a national of the country you are visiting. So if you are in a country that requires a payment to visit a Family Doctor, Hospital (even in an emergency), prescriptions, X-rays or pay for 'hotel' services in a hospital (food, room etc) then you still have to pay those charges. It does not give 100% free cover.

Those costs may be covered by insurance but you may have to pay them first and claim afterwards.

And some insurers will require you to have an EHIC and won't cover you for items that would be included as part of the EHIC. So if you claimed say Ł1,000 but have no EHIC Card and that would have covered Ł500 the insurer will generally only pay you the Ł500
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

I'm based in various places in Europe.
And here it is a very wise investment if you are travelling beyond countries where you are based yourself. Most people do no posess any private medical insurance, as they don't need it.
And for those of us fortunate to have private medical insurance, the extent to which it stretches to overseas cover is at best vague and perhaps not wise to test.

Mine advises me that cover would extend to stabilising my condition and shipping me home. But the repatriation would only kick in if suitable treatment were not available locally (and I'd be left paying for that treatment if it were available). So heart attacks in the US would be devastating for my finances, while mishaps in Cambodia could cost the insurers a packet.

Sounds like an underwriters' battleground. And, not surprisingly , the insurer offers an add-on annual travel policy ....
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:12 am

I think the main reason for buying travel insurance is for medical cover, including repatriation as the potential costs of this are too high to self-insure. worldnomads.com sells pretty cheap travel insurance and it certainly has never cost me as much as 5% of the cost of the trip. More like 1%.

Regarding paying for a new ticket because you missed your connection, I don't think most travel insurance will cover this. Best to call the airline and get them to specially book you a single ticket with your whole itinerary, if such itineraries are not available "off the shelf" at online travel sites.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:38 am

Let me just link an article in Consumer Reports, The US' most respected consumer publication. Again, this is from an American, not European, perspective:

I fear that if you think that quote is relevant to what I posted, then you have not understood the point of mine that you quoted.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by bridgeair
Regarding paying for a new ticket because you missed your connection,
It is not a connection if it is separate ticket.

I don't think most travel insurance will cover this.
How do you define 'most'?

As I said, it depends upon the policy, and the time window you have allowed yourself to make your unofficial connection, or transition from one ticket to another.

Most policies I've read specifically discuss this topic.

Best to call the airline and get them to specially book you a single ticket with your whole itinerary, if such itineraries are not available "off the shelf" at online travel sites.
That is not necessarily the 'best' option at all.

Sometimes the cost of doing that will dwarf the costs of just booking a replacement ticket, or a backup ticket to begin with, etc. Or the costs of insurcance that will cover it.

Oh and sometimes that is simply NOT possible, i.e. you can not be through ticketed, no matter what.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:10 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Wirelessly posted (LG G2: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; VS980 4G Build/KOT49I.VS98024A) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/36.0.1985.135 Mobile Safari/537.36)

I fear that if you think that quote is relevant to what I posted, then you have not understood the point of mine that you quoted.
I'm afraid that you don't understand the travel insurance products offered in North America and the needs of the North American based traveler.

Besides, none of this is relevant to the OP's question, so I'll move on.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:49 pm

Wirelessly posted (LG G2: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; VS980 4G Build/KOT49I.VS98024A) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/36.0.1985.135 Mobile Safari/537.36)

I'm afraid that you don't understand the travel insurance products offered in North America and the needs of the North American based traveler.
With respect, I believe I do. Your post simply makes no sense.

Please explain how you think what you have quoted there (which is talking about whether people need cover), is relevant to the bit of my post that you also quoted (which is talking about distinctions between misconnection due to delay when through ticketed and when not through ticketed)?

How are they possibly related? They are utterly different topics!

Re read my post if neceassry.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I do have travel insurance because I don't like travelling without it, I'm UK based and don't have UK health insurance anymore. I've claimed on it too as I broke my wrist skiing in Canada and had medical bills that they covered of just under $500. They paid up with the minimum of fuss and I was reimbursed the full amount which was almost as much as the plane ticket there. Someone else in the party had a similar injury without travel insurance but with UK based corporate health insurance and they were stuck with the full amount for their treatment which cost more than mine. Had either of us needed evacuation from the mountain you can at least double those costs. Touch wood I've never needed the delay/cancellation part of the policy but I have it for the peace of mind it provides if not travelling on one PNR etc. which for some of my trips isn't possible.

In the UK you can get cover for a year for under Ł50 and covers multiple trips in those 12months. If US travel insurance is generally 6-7% of the cost of a trip then for a $600 trip it's $36-$42, up to you to decide if that's worth it. Personally I'd look at a multi-trip/annual policy if making more than one trip abroad or my legislators if prices are too high across the board, 6% seems steep to me. My insurance does come with my bank account and is free but the same annual policy is only about Ł48 to buy for someone else.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Aug 27, 2014 at 6:43 am
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed. That is the usual dialogue of the deaf between Europeans and North Americans, where Europeans do not realise that European-style, relatively cheap comprehensive travel insurance pretty much does not exist in North American markets and that the big medical/repatriation risks, which is the reason why travel insurance is both pretty essential and so widespread (and therefore relative cheap) in Europe are usually not required by North Americans due to their being already covered for this.
It is very good advice for a UK resident to tell another UK resident that they need travel insurance. The same is not true of a UK resident speaking to a North American resident.

Last edited by NickB; Aug 27, 2014 at 6:35 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
That is not quite correct. An EHIC will provide cover as though you were a national of the country you are visiting. So if you are in a country that requires a payment to visit a Family Doctor, Hospital (even in an emergency), prescriptions, X-rays or pay for 'hotel' services in a hospital (food, room etc) then you still have to pay those charges. It does not give 100% free cover.
Where did I say I provided free cover?

What in my post is incorrect? What you say is also true that does not make what I said incorrect?

ANSWER TO THIS EXPECTED !!!!!

Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by NickB
Indeed. That is the usual dialogue of the deaf between Europeans and North Americans, where Europeans do not realise that European-style, relatively cheap comprehensive travel insurance pretty much does not exist in North American markets and that the big medical/repatriation risks, which is the reason why travel insurance is both pretty essential and so widespread (and therefore relative cheap) in Europe are usually not required by North Americans due to their being already covered for this.
It is very good advice for a UK resident to tell another UK resident that they need travel insurance. The same is not true of a UK resident speaking to a North American resident.
I'm sorry NickB, but this is NOTHING OF THE SORT.

You replied to the post of TWA884, saying 'indeed'.

We lets look at TWA884 post shall we, they quoted me saying this:
And after quoting me saying that TWA884 said:

and quoted this:

Overlapping coverage
Almost $2 billion in travel insurance is sold each year for several what ifs: You need to cancel a trip because of illness, the death of a relative, or bad weather; your belongings are lost or stolen; your traveling companion dies; or you need emergency medical care. Premiums depend on the age of the travelers, the type of coverage, and the trip’s cost. For a standard policy you’ll pay about 5 to 7 percent of the cost of the trip, according to the Insurance Information Institute. Tour operators, cruise-line reps, and travel agents sell two-thirds of the travel policies, and they collect commission on them.

But coverage may be unnecessary if you already have protection through homeowners, auto, life, or health insurance. Credit-card benefits and consumer-protection laws also may help. Bob Hunter, director of insurance at the Consumer Federation of America, says travel insurance is often not worth the price. “Don’t buy insurance that covers small, manageable losses or only a slice of risk,” he says.

For example, losing some of your belongings won’t break you financially, so keep a close eye on your valuables and be ready to accept losing less-valuable stuff. Still losing sleep? Narrow in on what you’re worried about, and see if your insurance or credit cards cover you. Then be flexible. “If you’re worried about dying in a plane crash,” Hunter says, “you should get term life insurance rather than flight insurance, because you might die in a car crash.”

If you’ll be traveling overseas, your health insurance might not provide coverage should you need to see a doctor or be evacuated to a hospital, the insurance institute says. Medicare generally doesn’t cover health-care expenses outside the U.S., although some Medigap policies do. So you might want to consider a medical travel-insurance policy.

----

So that is me talking about the differences (within any cover) between missing a through ticketed connection, and missing a connection that is at a ticket/booking change over point.

But TWA884 is talking about whether people need coverage and overlapping coverage from different sources. Which is totally different topic.

TWA884 has not yet explained how they consider this relevant, other than an unsubstantiated inference - which I have challenged - that this means I don't understand US insurance.

Now, NickB, you post your agreement with this defamatory suggestion and further insinuates that I am deaf and incapable of understanding.

I find your post to be personally insulting and utterly unsubstantiated by what I have posted.

Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:41 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Enough. Thread's taking a time out.

stut
UK & Ireland

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.