London and the beach?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London and the beach?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: Intercontinental Gold Ambassador | British Airways Silver EC
If you are not completely set on a beach resort then I would definitely recommend a nice country house spa hotel. There are a lot of them around London and they won't feel as chaotic as a seaside town in England on a bank holiday weekend (which can be pretty hellish to be honest). Alexander House in Sussex has a gorgeous spa. There are tennis courts, manicured gardens, reading rooms etc. Or for the best of both worlds, check out Chewton Glen Spa Hotel in Hampshire. It's quiet with an amazing spa and is a 10 minute walk from a lovely shingle beach.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Lots of homework for me; thanks much
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Raffles
There are crazier ideas than flying from Gatwick to Jersey, on Avios, where you can be transported back 50 years and benefit from some super (and super empty) beaches.
Actually, this is a good idea. Throw in some fine food and friendly people, and it's ideal for a short break. If you want to drive to a sandy beach from London, try West Wittering. Depending on where you are starting from, it's about 80mins or so.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Indeed the BA taxes are brutal. Found low level Bus awards on BA, but taxes over $1200 per ticket. Out in Coach and returning in the upper deck of the 747 only saved a few bucks. Thus, it's a US A330 to MAN, returning AA 777 to ORD. Maybe they'll offer a paid upgrade at check in... we'll see.

Chose Conwy area for the "beach" portion -- the St George hotel in LLandudno. Looks nice. Fairly reasonable deal on a room and half board 's package. So a few chill days of castles and beach in Wales, and then city life in London. Gonna post for advice on the tube separately.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
You'll save a bit by making your business class leg be the one not departing the UK, therefore attracting a lower sin tax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.