Wiki Posts
Search

T1/T2 airside connection at Heathrow?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
T1/T2 airside connection at Heathrow?

Is there a direct airside link (bridge/tunnel or whatever) between Heathrow Terminal 1 and Terminal 2? Fancy trying the new T2 lounges before a SWISS flight at T1 in September.

Thanks.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:58 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Schwann, let me move this to the U.K./Ireland forum for more discussion. That forum's moderators may wish to join it with any existing thread related to the topic of Heathrow connections. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:01 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
There are shared gates so it should be possible. Probably a very long walk.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:58 pm

Normally you won't be allowed into a terminal unless you have a boarding pass for a flight from that terminal.

Certainly the routing suggests security checks which will check boarding cards
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:13 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Schwann
Is there a direct airside link (bridge/tunnel or whatever) between Heathrow Terminal 1 and Terminal 2? Fancy trying the new T2 lounges before a SWISS flight at T1 in September.

Thanks.
Yes, there is a direct link between T1 and T2 but with security in-between as far as I know. However, the only *A lounges open in September will be in T2B which is about 15 mins from the main part of the terminal (T1A) and there will be no walkways back to T1A as you will have to use the departure tunnel to get back.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Yes, there is a direct link between T1 and T2 but with security in-between as far as I know. However, the only *A lounges open in September will be in T2B which is about 15 mins from the main part of the terminal (T1A) and there will be no walkways back to T1A as you will have to use the departure tunnel to get back.
I'm not sure that that is correct. T2B is shared with T1 and T2. There are lounges in T2B, and, I think, there are still T1 flights departing T2B. There is a long walkway from T1 to T2B (the old one which took you to that section of T1 before T2 opened). Whilst there are travelators going to T2B from T1, you don't have to use them - so you could simply walk back on the same route, but allow 10 minutes each way.

Now, at some point in the not too distant future, when more airlines have moved, they will no longer need to use T2B for T1 operations and they will close and demolish that walkway, as it interferes with a couple of T2B gates. When that will be is anyone's guess.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:53 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
So is T2B what used to be known as Europier?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stut
So is T2B what used to be known as Europier?
The connector from T1 to T2B is the connector that took you to Europier, which went off mostly to the right as you approached it. They then built the first half of T2B, which was accessed from the left hand side of Europier. Once this was done, they demolished the right hand side of Europier, to complete T2B and its connectors to T2.

Essentially all the widebodies from T1 (UA, US, ANZ, TAM etc.) went from that section, and some narrowbodies (Swiss quite often, BMI sometimes) went from the two remaining Europier gates. As airlines move from T1, they will no longer need these gates and my guess is that, once the last airline flying widebodies leaves, they'll consolidate all on the remaining T1 gates. Because the access to T2B from T1 is by the long passageway plus the remaining bits of Europier, this blocks several gates of T2B and also blocks the taxiway running between T2B and T2/T1. This is why the intention is to demolish it.

Timing is, of course, another matter.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:33 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I'm not sure that that is correct. T2B is shared with T1 and T2. There are lounges in T2B, and, I think, there are still T1 flights departing T2B. There is a long walkway from T1 to T2B (the old one which took you to that section of T1 before T2 opened). Whilst there are travelators going to T2B from T1, you don't have to use them - so you could simply walk back on the same route, but allow 10 minutes each way.

Now, at some point in the not too distant future, when more airlines have moved, they will no longer need to use T2B for T1 operations and they will close and demolish that walkway, as it interferes with a couple of T2B gates. When that will be is anyone's guess.
Based on this map I wondered if there was a direct link between T1 and T2B but someone confirmed that the link was at the terminal end.

There is also a detailed report by an FTer who went to the United lounge in T2B before catching a flight from T1 but it is not clear how T1 and T2B are connected for passengers. I have only been to T2A/T2B during a trial and would be interested to know whether T1 and T2 are linked other than at the main terminal end.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whilst they are physically linked at the main terminal, I don't think you can pass airside departures between them at the main terminal. The only way airside departures is through their shared usage of T2B. This will stop when T1 stops using T2B for departures.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Whilst they are physically linked at the main terminal, I don't think you can pass airside departures between them at the main terminal. The only way airside departures is through their shared usage of T2B. This will stop when T1 stops using T2B for departures.
Oh yes you can!

T1 and T2A are linked airside and also clearly signed. It was also the same back when the old T2 was around. You have always been free to roam between T1 and T2 without passing through any additional security checks.

You should pass through security at the terminal your flight departs from, but once airside you can go between them. The official route between T1 and T2B is now via T2A and the underground tunnels.

There's a good chance that your LX flight will be departing from T2B (which is shared with T1) as I've seen a number of LX aircraft parked there.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
The image in the map above shows the old temporary link between the T1 Europier and T2B, used before T2A opened. This temporary link is no longer for passenger use.

There is a new link between T1 and T2A, which serves as the point of entry into T2A for all T1 passengers departing from a T2B gate.

The signage in T1 has been updated to show 'B' gates - these are all in T2B, and involve walking through the new link (where there is no security) to T2A, and following the standard T2A-T2B underground walkway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.