Wiki Posts
Search

Rules For Duty Free for Heathrow Flight Connections

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2014, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/GFL, Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Rules For Duty Free for Heathrow Flight Connections

I intend to buy some booze in US before flying back to LHR; I will then use Flight Connections to end up flying to DUB. Can I bring sealed bags through or will I have to put it in my luggage and check it in?
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
It looks as if it's in a sealed tamper-proof bag, purchased from another airport or onboard a plane you can:

New liquids rules effective 31 January 2014
What are the changes to the liquids rules?

Duty free liquids, aerosols and gels purchased from any airport or airline may now be carried as hand baggage. However, these must be sealed at the time of purchase with the receipt inside a security tamper-evident bag. Following the initial x-ray scan, security officers may also need to carry out additional checks.

Exceptions to the 100ml restrictions for liquid medicines and special dietary products, such as baby food, remain in place. However, following x-ray screening, security officers may also need to carry out additional checks on these items.

Passengers should continue to present liquids in containers of 100ml or less in a single, transparent, resealable 1 litre plastic bag.

For further information visit our Hand baggage page.
Will I be able to take my items through after any additional checks?

Yes, however where officers are unable to resolve a screening activation, exceptionally and solely for security reasons, liquids may be refused.
I purchased liquid items outside of the airport. Can I now take these through?

The 100ml restrictions for liquids remain in place with exceptions for liquid medicines and special dietary products, such as baby food.

Liquids, aerosols and gels in containers over 100ml are not allowed in hand baggage unless you are carrying duty free sealed in a tamper-evident security bag, liquid medicines or special dietary products, such as baby food. Liquids not allowed in hand baggage should be placed in your hold luggage.

For further information visit our Hand baggage page.
Will it take longer to go through security?

If you are carrying liquids, these may be subject to additional checks. We always recommend that you arrive at the airport as early as possible and ensure you leave sufficient time to proceed through security.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath.../faqs#newrules

Last edited by plon; Jun 24, 2014 at 12:50 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Silk Cut
I intend to buy some booze in US before flying back to LHR; I will then use Flight Connections to end up flying to DUB. Can I bring sealed bags through or will I have to put it in my luggage and check it in?
If it is bought from a normal shop i.e. outside of the airport then it will have to go in your checked bag as you won't get past the 100ml rule.

If bought at the airport duty free store and so is in the tamper proof bag with receipt in it (and dated the day you left the US) then you will be ok to take it through connections when you land the next day.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/GFL, Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Thanks to both for the good news. I was unsure because I had in my head that only DF items bought in the EU were allowed via Flight Connections.
A few years ago, I bought an expensive bottle of Shochu on ANA coming back from Tokyo. The guy in Flight Connections asked me where I had flown from; when I said Tokyo, he asked if that was in the EU. Presumably, geography wasn't one of his strong points, for which I am eternally grateful.
Just for the record, I told him it was and the Shochu survived.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
If you buy it on the plane, make sure they put it in a tamper-proof bag. Last year, I bought some vodka on the plane and security seized it because the bag wasn't tamper proof.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Yes, as long as it is in a sealed tamper-evident bag with a receipt for the same or previous day included and clearly visible in the bag, you will be able to bring it through security. US airports are deemed to meet the security requirements for liquids.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.