Reload this Page >

New travel option for tourists in Dublin

Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD,Skyteam,QF

http://www.thejournal.ie/tourist-tra...25741-Jun2014/

The details are probably not fully expanded in this article, but at €19.50 for a 72 hours stay, including airport bus to/from the city, it should be of interest to those with short-stay local transport requirements in Dublin.
A LEAP card is the electronic ticket for public transport (cash with no change given is the alternative ).
On DART (local, mostly coastal train) and LUAS (2-line tram system) you need to 'touch on' before boarding and 'touch off' on leaving. For buses, there is a pad beside the driver to touch on, but no need to touch off.

The article doesn't mention if you have to pay the usual €5 refundable deposit for the LEAP card, and seems to imply that this card is not available at ports like Dun Laoghaire or North Wall. I think I spot a few wrinkles that need ironing out here.

Last edited by measures; Jun 23, 2014 at 7:43 am Reason: correction
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
This sounds like it might work for us, I see it runs 10 pounds for the airport bus - return. We plan to take the train to Howth does anyone know if this pass would allow passage there; seems like we would get our money back just for these 2 instances alone?
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:35 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The details aren't that well explained, but...

The official page on the card itself is here:

https://www.leapcard.ie/en/PageSetti...53h27CkUIxE%3d

(memorable URL, eh?)

It mentions that the card is valid on DART and Commuter Rail within the 'Short Hop Zone', which is shown on this page:

http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/dart

and does include Howth.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD,Skyteam,QF
Originally Posted by kmandrew
This sounds like it might work for us, I see it runs 10 pounds for the airport bus - return. We plan to take the train to Howth does anyone know if this pass would allow passage there; seems like we would get our money back just for these 2 instances alone?
well, no, if that is definitely the only travel you would do.
But, consider that once you have the LEAP card, you can hop on and off the city buses to do your own city tour, instead of paying for the red bus tours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.