Venues for Dinner for 60 people in London

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2014, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion

I love being a partner in a large international law firm. You get to travel and meet interesting people from around the world at our annual meetings in different world cities.

The rough, however, gets thrown in with the smooth and at our annual meeting in London in early October muggins here gets to select the venue for the annual dinner of the partners in my intake (about 60 inclusive of spouses and the odd child). I'd like to do something more interesting than just a private room in some standard restaurant that these people (who on the whole are not on the breadline ). I am finding myself uninspired. To give you an idea, in the past we have been to Rules (for the history not the food necessarily and we have grown a bit since then). I thought maybe the Mayflower on the Thames at Rotherhithe but it was a bit underwhelming when my husband and I cased the joint yesterday. . So I hope you nice people don't mind if I pick your brains. Requirements:-

- private space
- budget Ł100-150 pp
- within about 5 miles of the Hilton Park Lane where most of them are staying (Heaven help them)
- quality of food not the wow factor but must be decent and preferably British
- ideally something memorable and UK-relevant such as Tower Bridge (which is too big for us)

60 seems to be an awkward number.

As I say, I find myself completely uninspired. Any suggestions?

With my grateful thanks

Harry
Old Jun 15, 2014, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was a few years ago but we had a slightly larger gathering at the Tower of London. a private view of the Crown Jewels, dinner in a room in the Tower itself followed by the Ceremony of the Keys. It was a very multi-cultural crowd and they absolutely loved it.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
It was a few years ago but we had a slightly larger gathering at the Tower of London. a private view of the Crown Jewels, dinner in a room in the Tower itself followed by the Ceremony of the Keys. It was a very multi-cultural crowd and they absolutely loved it.
Thanks a lot. I will look into that.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I believe you can rent the Chelsea Physic Garden. You certainly can for weddings. But the point is that the restaurant there is excellent - very quirky and British and the Chelsea Physic Garden itself is a delight.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I believe you can rent the Chelsea Physic Garden. You certainly can for weddings. But the point is that the restaurant there is excellent - very quirky and British and the Chelsea Physic Garden itself is a delight.
The garden can indeed be rented. It might not look in top form in October, however. Also, the restaurant / cafe space is not the most glamorous, and they require that clients have a marquee brought in for every event.

You might try the Keepers House at the Royal Academy of Arts. They have two adjoining rooms that take 40 people each for dinner, and avail themselves of the excellent restaurant facilities downstairs.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 4:35 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Old Royal Naval College Greenwich? The Painted Hall sounds a bit big for you but they have other spaces too. The skittle alley sounds rather fun!

http://www.ornc.org/venuehire/venues
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:13 am

I think one of the key criteria is being close-ish to the Hilton; moving all those people across London in the chill of October before dinner could be a nightmare. So my usual suggestions of Vinopolis and Tower Bridge are out.

The Wellington Arch at the centre of Hyde Park Corner would have been perfect given its location close to the Hilton and quirkiness (plus a nice view of Buckingham Palace Gardens from the roof):

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/b...llington-arch/

Sadly, as you've no doubt found, it takes only 36 for Dinner and 80 for drinks.

As an alternative, I' recommend the Royal Thames Yacht Club (the building to the East of the Mandarin Oriental):

www.royalthames.com/Functions.aspx

Walkable, decent view of Hyde Park and not somewhere most will normally visit.

As an alternative Peyton & Byrne should be able to satisfy your requirements at one of their government/gallery venues:

www.peytonandbyrne.co.uk/venues/index.html

I've been to Lancaster House and it was excellent;

I've been to an event at the Royal Academy they did, and Burlington Gardens is also worth a look.

Would be terrific to get the Durbar Court, heart of the Foreign & Commonwealth office, but I'm unsure whether you'd be swamped in that space:

FCO Fine Rooms are similarly impressive and more intimate:

If you're feeling brave, you could try the Playboy Club which has the advantage of being almost next door to the Hilton; I understand the fish is excellent, the beef less so

http://playboyclublondon.com/private-hire/

Finally, in the centre of Hyde Park, there is the new-ish Zaha Hadid-designed extension to The Magazine - a pleasant walk through the Park from the Hilton, and you could no doubt have drinks beforehand in the adjacent art gallery:

www.serpentinegalleries.org/restaurant

Last edited by oscietra; Jun 16, 2014 at 11:08 am
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by oscietra
As an alternative, I'd recommend the Royal Thames Yacht Club (the building to the East of the Mandarin Oriental)…
Ah, I'd always wondered why that building had model boats in the windows.

Originally Posted by oscietra
Would be terrific to get the Durbar Court, heart of the Foreign & Commonwealth office…
Went to something there a few years ago and it was indeed lovely.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
How about the Paul and Jill Ruddock Gallery at the Victoria & Albert. It's about the same distance from the Hilton on Park Lane as the Magazine and is a beautiful venue.
http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/galleri...aissance-city/
http://www.vam.ac.uk/__data/assets/p...chure-2015.pdf

The venue cost plus catering will probably be outside your range, though if your proposed budget is venue rental and food.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Jun 16, 2014 at 2:36 pm
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Wife and I attended a dinner function at the Royal College of Surgeons about 12 years ago. No idea how its location/cost would work out for you, but as scientists, we found its museum, which was open, very neat.

http://www.rcseng.ac.uk/venuehire
Old Jun 29, 2014, 3:48 am
Original Poster

The winner was...

The Royal Exchange, which has some history to make it interesting and a reasonable food offering. And I can organise a walk around the City with an experienced guide (me).

Thanks for all the suggestions...
Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:25 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Lastly the Guildhall, right in the heart of the City of London.
You might try the Old Bailey - they do somethings for sure if you want a 'legal' theme.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I'd look at the London Transit museum in Covent Garden - I visited it last week and it was lovely space and works well for events as there are interesting and interactive displays -not sure of their minimums but with the right event seating/food/bar service/set up 60 should fit nicely.

Haymarket Hotel has unique pool space for indoor rental -not quite UK history but definitely cool factor.

Jamie Oliver's Barbecoa at One New Change in the City has awesome views of St. Paul's which is gorgeous at night.

There are a few rooftops but in October not sure best option

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.