Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deportation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2014, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Deportation

Hello, I was living in England and I did a crime(car burglary). I was sent to prison for 4 months. After 2 weeks officers ask me ''do i want back to my country? and said yes'', I sign deportation papers(with my own will, I can do not sign). So when my sentence over. I been removed from uk and sent back to my country. Im Lithuanian(Europe union). I want to know for how much time I get ban. When I can back to uk. Thank you for answers.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:37 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Hi mcgyver9,

Welcome to Flyertalk.

I suspect the answer is going to be tricky - the EU has freedom of movement, and the restrictions on this are fairly general.

The following document on the UK interpretation of these guidelines may be of use - but I have no idea if this has been superseded.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...20FOI27127.pdf
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The chances that you will be admitted to the UK are zero or worse. "Public security" is a broad-based exception to your Right of Movement and a conviction for a crime which actually involved a prison term fits right into the exception. You also need to realize that your conviction in the UK will affect your ability to travel elsewhere as well, although you will need to look at exactly how "public security" or its equivalent is handled.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:40 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
To others, please refrain from making personal comments towards the OP, regardless of your feelings about their past actions. I have already deleted some posts, but will lock the thread if this continues.

If in doubt, please refer to the Flyertalk TOS:

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules....sivedisruptive

stut
UK & Ireland
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The chances that you will be admitted to the UK are zero or worse. "Public security" is a broad-based exception to your Right of Movement and a conviction for a crime which actually involved a prison term fits right into the exception. You also need to realize that your conviction in the UK will affect your ability to travel elsewhere as well, although you will need to look at exactly how "public security" or its equivalent is handled.
To the contrary, the chances that you will be denied entry to the UK are very slim (with the caveat below). There are still perfectly legal routes into the UK as an EU national (eg. travel to Dublin and take the ferry to Wales) which have zero routine checks. Until you have been served with/notified of an actual exclusion decision/exclusion order, your Right of Movement remains in place, regardless of previous criminality.

Now, if the OP was removed under the FRS (Facilitated Removal Scheme), then they would have received notification of the exclusion decision at the time of being granted their release under that scheme. If so, the exclusion would usually be for the period of 24 months from the date of exit (unless otherwise varied and notified at that time).
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I did not suggest that OP cannot sneak back across a border due to a porous system. But, also don't think that we need to use FT to tell him how to do it.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 4:42 pm

The UK is not the USA. We don't have the concept of a "felon". Criminal convictions (except for the most serious ones) are deemed "spent" after a certain number of years. For a four-months prison sentence that period is seven years.

As regards deportation - current policy with regards to EU citizens is

The Sec of State’s policy is that no EU citizen should be deported unless the prison term is 2+ years, R v Kluxen 2010 EWCA Crim 1081.
Source: http://ukcriminallawblog.com/2013/02...ign-criminals/

And this doesn't mean that anyone with a prison sentence of more than two years is automatically deported, it means that no one is ever deported unless their prison sentence is two years or more. And from what the OP is saying he left voluntarily.

mcgyver9, I would check with the British Consulate to see if you have to stay out of the country for seven years or if you can come back sooner. My guess is that it's the latter.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
If a person does not have to agree to be deported, why would they do so willingly?

Looks like the OP served their sentence already. So it's not like there's a reduction in punishment. Does this just avoid another hearing about involuntarily deportation?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
If a person does not have to agree to be deported, why would they do so willingly?
Free trip home to see the family?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:56 am
Original Poster

I found there: http://righttoremain.org.uk/toolkit/re-entry.html

If you left the UK voluntarily and at no public cost, the length of the re-entry ban is one year
If you left the UK voluntarily within six months of exhausting all your appeal rights or being told you would be removed from the UK but at public cost, the ban is for two years
If you left the UK voluntarily more than six months after exhausting your appeal rights or being told you would be removed from the UK and at public cost, the ban is for five years
If you were forcibly removed/deported from the UK, the ban is for ten years
If the Home Office has decided you used deception (and this has not been successfully challenged in court) in your application – whether or not your application was successful – the ban is for ten years
Wich one is for me>?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:42 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Depending on where the conviction occurred the prison sentence could have been a deterrent. For example, in Central London, courts regularly give pickpockets an immediate custodial sentence of 8-10 weeks for a first time offender pleading guilty.

There are also some forms of order where the convicted person agrees to leave the UK and not to return, although it is unusual for these to be combined with a prison term.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:56 am

Thinking about it a bit more... maybe there is more to the story than the OP is willing to admit? Maybe this wasn't a first offence?

I understand that by and large it is still quite rare for someone to be given a custodial sentence for a first offence of this kind...
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Speak to the UK government. Anything else here is purely speculation as no-one knows the true details of your crime here, nor the papers you signed.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 1:12 pm

mcgyver9. the site you link to appears to refer to people who were deported for immigration violations (overstaying their visa, entering the country illegally etc). I don't think it applies to someone in your situation.

You need to talk to an immigration lawyer, or the British Embassy/Consulte. As the previous poster said, we just don't know enough.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
basically as a Lithuanian national you have free movement to travel to the UK but with your conviction they could deny you entry on the basis of you being convicted of a serious crime - truthfully you would need to have supporting evidence that you are travelling temporarily and have intentions to go back to your home country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.