Wiki Posts
Search

LHR train questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:31 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
So given that my tickets have never been marked when they are checked (not that I take the HEx or HCon very often, only when I'm near Paddington and I will otherwise miss my flight), what's to stop you from riding it back and forth all day on just one ticket?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:41 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Boredom?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by :D!
So given that my tickets have never been marked when they are checked (not that I take the HEx or HCon very often, only when I'm near Paddington and I will otherwise miss my flight), what's to stop you from riding it back and forth all day on just one ticket?
I have only once ever not had my HEX ticket marked/scanned, which was when the train was full to bursting owing to some disruption or another.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stifle
I have only once ever not had my HEX ticket marked/scanned, which was when the train was full to bursting owing to some disruption or another.
Same here, they are very dilligent about ticket checking. HCon a little less so but they still get through the train most times.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by stifle
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Same here, they are very dilligent about ticket checking. HCon a little less so but they still get through the train most times.
Took Heathrow Connect from Paddington today with my "backwards" ticket and needn't have worried -- there was zero ticket checking in evidence on board, despite regular pre-recorded scoldings about surcharges levied between Hayes & Harlington and LHR if you haven't got the proper ticket. I could have bought a ticket to Ealing Broadway and travelled all the way to T5.

The only thing I don't really like about Heathrow Connect is that you have to collect prepaid tix from the dedicated HeX kiosks at platforms 6-7, then march over to platform 12 for the train. The regular First Great Western ticket kiosks won't help -- they don't like the 9-character Heathrow Connect booking codes.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:08 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You can, however, book HEX and HCon tickets from FGW or any train operator, and pick them up at the FGW kiosks (or indeed any station's kiosks). Just search for Paddington to Heathrow, and select the correct level of ticket. This also allows you to apply national railcard discounts.

I always prebook my HEX tickets through the East Coast site, so I can collect the rewards points.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by stut
You can, however, book HEX and HCon tickets from FGW or any train operator, and pick them up at the FGW kiosks (or indeed any station's kiosks). Just search for Paddington to Heathrow, and select the correct level of ticket.
Stut, thank you, that's very good to know -- like a naif I just went through the branded Heathrow Connect online storefront. Another wee disconnect is that there is no HCon branding at Paddington that I could see -- when you do as I did you have to approach the Heathrow Express-branded area although you are not using that service.

But I mind neither that nor the involuntary tour of Hanwell, Hayes, etc. in exchange for the 10 quid savings.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by stut
You can, however, book HEX and HCon tickets from FGW or any train operator, and pick them up at the FGW kiosks (or indeed any station's kiosks). Just search for Paddington to Heathrow, and select the correct level of ticket. This also allows you to apply national railcard discounts.

I always prebook my HEX tickets through the East Coast site, so I can collect the rewards points.
Do note that if you're travelling alone then single HEX tickets do not accrue points on East Coast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.