Reload this Page >

LHR train questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR train questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:50 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
When I get to Kings Cross is there signage to direct me to St Pancras train station?
Does this help?

http://www.eurostar.com/sites/defaul...nsfers_map.pdf
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:58 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
There are plenty signs - the underground station is officially Kings Cross St Pancras, so it is set up to serve both stations.

It's slightly complicated in that there are two exits from the platform - the best one for you is at the front of the train (coming from Heathrow) that will take you along a fairly long corridor, then up to the new ticket hall. You then turn left, and there is a passage along to the new section of St Pancras where the Southeastern Hispeed platforms are (it's quite a complex station, in 4 sections). There are ticket machines in this passage.

(If you end up going the other way, don't worry - it's still well signed and you'll get to the same place...)

You then reach the main shopping area. If you have time, it's well worth heading down to the main part of the station for a look around - it's a stunning building (with plenty places for food and coffee).

The Southeastern platforms are on an upper level in the new section of the building.

I don't think there are any advance purchase fares on this route - the high prices are because they're set up for a captive commuter audience, more than anything else.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by stut
Does this apply, though? Heathrow Airport station, and the track to it, is privately owned, and not part of the national rail network. Note that the NRCOC does not include HEX in the list of TOCs it applies to, nor Heathrow Connect beyond Hayes & Harlington.
Not sure if it would apply to a Heathrow to London ticket, as that'd be a HEX only one. Pretty sure it must apply to a Heathrow to (somewhere beyond London) route Any Permitted or route HEX, as those are normal National Rail tickets.

With any luck they'll fix this mess when Crossrail starts running to Heathrow
Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
With any luck they'll fix this mess when Crossrail starts running to Heathrow
I hope, but I fear not.

It should be made a condition for the heathrow expansion and any future train links to the west.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Brilliant! Thanks
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
1. You will clear immigration in LHR.
2. From T1 arrivals just follow the signs for Heathrow T1,2,3 underground station. It will be about 5 minutes' walk.
3. See my answer to 4 below.
4. Trains to Ashford International depart from St Pancras International station. So you can stay on Piccadilly Line to King's Cross St Pancras. There are trains to Ashford International every 30 mins. You can check the timetable here.
5. The cheapest single fare is £32.20. An off-peak return ticket is only £2 more and costs £34.20. You can also get a through ticket from LHR but it might be slightly cheaper to pay separately if you have an Oyster card.
Thanks for the tips to you and everyone else on here. It all worked seamlessly. You were right on about the fare prices too.

A couple of observations, some related to my OP some not.

1 To use the senator lounge and shower at DUS I had to go through passport control and re-enter to get back to the departing gate. i thought this was someone inefficient.
2. LHR was WARM. Do they not put on the a/c there?
3. The tube was also very warm. Are the cars not air conditioned?
4. The train to Ashford was fast and very comfortable with the a/c on.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:34 am

1. This, I suspect, is due to the non-Schengen/Schengen divide in the airport. I would guess that most short-haul flights are intra-Schengen these days (with countries like the UK being the outliers). So, for a smaller airport, it makes more sense to have the lounge in the Schengen zone.

2. They do, but it's pretty gentle. AC isn't needed for most of the year here, so it tends not to be as prevalent - and it's rare you get blast-chiller mode.

3. Only a handful of lines have air-conditioned carriages - the 'subsurface' lines (District, Circle, Metropolitan, H&C). The others - the deep tube lines - simply don't have the tunnel size to support it - no space, and the air down there would heat up to pretty dangerous temperatures. They are working on air cooling solutions, but again, it's a small portion of the year where it's an issue.

4. Yup, it's a very good service. You can tell the trains are Japanese - right down to the little jingles.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:13 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
1. This, I suspect, is due to the non-Schengen/Schengen divide in the airport. I would guess that most short-haul flights are intra-Schengen these days (with countries like the UK being the outliers). So, for a smaller airport, it makes more sense to have the lounge in the Schengen zone.
Correct. The only Lufthansa lounges in DUS are in the Schengen zone although there are a few longhaul flights departing from DUS. At least the lounges are close to passport control.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by rcspeirs
"I can suggest Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect from Terminal 1 to Paddington. From there take the Bakerloo line to Charing Cross. "
Can I suggest taking large denomination notes from your wallet and setting fire to them. Sorry, but that's a very poor option. It would cost loads for an illusory time saving. Take the Piccadilly line to KingsX/St Pancras - direct train, about an hour, as low as £3 on Oyster or £5.40 cash. Then the Hi Speed service to Ashford.
+1 it's a silly mindset that some seem to have that the HEX is the only answer to these questions.
Cheers
Howie
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
You can buy tickets online for a journey starting from Heathrow, but there's no where at Heathrow to collect them. They will, at a push, sell you tickets to go to some of the local stations between Reading and London via the Heathrow Connect, but that's it.
I will be across in a couple of weeks and have bought an advance Heathrow Connect single ticket online, stupidly clicking the Heathrow-Paddington button when I will in fact only be riding Paddington-Heathrow. Assuming I can retrieve it from the kiosk, will the conductor care? Or do I need to go to a booking window and see about having it changed?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
I will be across in a couple of weeks and have bought an advance Heathrow Connect single ticket online, stupidly clicking the Heathrow-Paddington button when I will in fact only be riding Paddington-Heathrow. Assuming I can retrieve it from the kiosk, will the conductor care? Or do I need to go to a booking window and see about having it changed?
It won't be a problem, because Heathrow Express tickets are valid in either direction - see their FAQ on this...

Can I use my ticket in either direction?

Yes, you can. Don’t worry if you’ve bought a ticket for the ‘wrong’ direction by mistake, it will still be valid.
Worth noting this only applies to the Heathrow Express - don't try it on the Gatwick Express, Stansted Express or anywhere else!
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:38 am

Does that apply to Heathrow Connect as well as Express, though? I've a suspicion it might not, or else you could get yourself a very cheap season ticket between Hayes and Ealing!
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Mizter T
Worth noting this only applies to the Heathrow Express...
Understood, but this is for the stopping train, Heathrow Connect, which I have begun to favor -- half the HeX tariff for only a few more minutes on route, plus a chance to admire West Ealing station up close.

Stut, that's exactly my concern.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Query Answered

Does that apply to Heathrow Connect as well as Express, though? I've a suspicion it might not, or else you could get yourself a very cheap season ticket between Hayes and Ealing!
Had this response from the Heathrow Connect answer-bot:

"You can use your ticket for any journey, regardless of the name on the ticket, date booked or direction of travel, provided that it is within 3 months of purchasing your ticket."

Which begs the question of why they insist that you specify a direction of travel when buying in the first place.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by BearX220
Understood, but this is for the stopping train, Heathrow Connect, which I have begun to favor -- half the HeX tariff for only a few more minutes on route, plus a chance to admire West Ealing station up close.

Stut, that's exactly my concern.
Ditto for the GEX to LGW and replace West Ealing with East Croydon !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.