Search

Domestic flights - Photo ID check on arrival

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2014, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Keystone
Wrong.
Clearly not, as I said the Terrorism act is the exception, and didn't apply in this case. If and when it does apply any ID you have on you does not change the fact they can detain you for 6 hours.

Basically the Police can ask you for any form of ID or any information of any kind that you carrying, including that on any PC, Tablet, Phone, Kindle etc.
And it's all been upheld by the UK Supreme Court.
It's currently up for appeal at the ECHR, and hopefully like section 44 will be thrown out, and the fine officers of the constabulary will not be able to detain people for simply daring to fly to Saudi Arabia while owning two passports. 99.97% of people stopped under this act are not even suspected of breaking a law.
Old May 20, 2014, 1:50 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Tim1975
I.... A police officer who tells a bear faced lie ("this is required under the Aviation Security Act" is even worse)...
I think it a bit much to call the nice police officer "bear faced" without close inspection of his teeth and whiskers

... even if he has just told you a bare faced lie!
Old May 20, 2014, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by stut
I believe there is such a thing as a healthy disrespect for authority in all its forms - not a petulant, reactive one, but a general cautiousness. When having ID requested or required, I'd certainly expect to be informed of the circumstances and authority by which the officer is acting - and if they don't know this, I'd not be confident in their knowing the bounds of their authority - the lack of which is something I've experienced with tedious frequency as an amateur photographer in London (although the creeping powers of non-police officials is equally disturbing).
This says it all, really. There is an unhealthy tradition of overreach by those in authority and, in my view, it should be resisted even where it's not obvious that it does any real harm. Of course I really don't care if I have to identify myself when I'm travelling domestically but I do care if I'm being asked either without proper authority or where the intent of the authority is being usurped. Much as I really don't care if some spy is listening to my phone call trying to agree dinner plans with my daughter - they'll die of boredom before it actually affects me - but I do care that authority is being usurped in doing so.

However, this thread really belongs in OMNI, except that Forum seems entirely devoted to things American.
Old May 20, 2014, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
. . . . . but I do care that authority is being usurped in doing so.
So do most on here I would guess, it's the attitude and methods of the OP that have ruffled things. One quick question and answer then move along would have sufficed.

The way to address it is to go official after the event, not to puff out your chest, stamp your feet and make a cock of yourself, all the while holding up a queue of weary passengers trying to get home.

Going official also makes sure it is documented and recorded which can only be a benefit for the future.
Old May 20, 2014, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
Going official also makes sure it is documented and recorded which can only be a benefit for the future.
Going official also makes sure it is documented and buried
Old May 20, 2014, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by alanR
Going official also makes sure it is documented and buried
Not in this day and age.

Plebgate?

Yes, I know it was an MP and not Joe Public, but it doesn't take much for something like this to get a bit of profile.
Old May 23, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
As the Need ID to disembark Edinburgh thread is now closed, I'll post my comments in this thread. (Edit: that thread was in BAEC forum, where in fact this thread also started.)

I very much doubt that the police were looking for someone. If they were, they could have entered the plane on arrival and been pointed to the person they were after from the manifest.

In reality I suspect that this is the powers that be showing their muscle (probably for the satisfaction of a Home Secretary who thinks the public appreciate this kind of macho behaviour).

I say this as these checks on purely domestic and intra CTA flights have become increasingly common in recent months. I had the same thing on a JER-LGW flight, this thread begins with a MAN flight and the Edinburgh thread reports two such instances at EDI. That's three UK airports already. This is probably the tip of a much larger iceberg.

What next? Road blocks on the M6 because the police think that may catch a criminal if they stop everyone for a few hours. At a time when the police's abuse of their stop and search powers is again in the spot light, it seems pretty stupid to be indulging in these sort of fishing trips.

Of course I could be wrong and the police didn't know who they were looking for, so couldn't have consulted the manifest and made arrangements to detain the person before the plane even landed

Last edited by FrancisA; May 23, 2014 at 1:15 pm
Old Jun 21, 2014, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by chris1979
so my issue with WH Smith (though as said, I now have good banter with the lady) is a) that the way they ask you for it suggests it isn't optional but something I am required to do and b) I don't see any benefit of it to myself as the customer, nor actually how WH Smith benefits from knowing where I fly (I doubt their systems are as intelligent as saying that pax flying to EDI buy more water hence more flights to EDI means needing to stock more water etc).
The relevance of this is so WHSmith can determine whether or not it needs to account for VAT on the beverage, which it does if you're flying within the EU and doesn't if you aren't. As for the "optional" bit, you're free to refuse to provide your boarding pass and WHSmith is free to refuse to sell you anything.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 3:06 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by WeLoveSpace
I used to go out with a Brazilian national and learnt a lot about potential routes to try to evade UK Border control from their mates.

One could be transiting airside at Heathrow to a domestic flight and arriving into the UK on a domestic sector (is there passport control when transiting at T5?)

The preferred route used to be to arrive at AMS then transit to Dublin arriving as a Schengen arrival in Dublin. Then travelling to London via the land border into NI or on a CTA flight to London. Passenger may have clearance for AMS transit or to enter Netherlands but not to enter the UK.

Not sure if these still work... but they used to be well known.

There may have been a transit passenger on the LHR-MAN flight of interest.
But Dublin's not in the Schengen Zone; if you arrive from AMS, you still need a visa to enter Ireland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.