Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Best Pubs near ExCel

Best Pubs near ExCel

Old May 9, 2014, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EX PLT, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Best Pubs near ExCel

I am traveling to London for a trade show at the ExCel exhibition hall with a group of co-workers.

We are staying at the Novatel next door to the exhibition hall.

Does anyone have recommendations for the best pubs and restaurants in the area?

Is there an area with many clubs nearby?

Man does not live by bread alone, he must have beer!
Old May 9, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
A good place to start is the excellent What Pub site.

Search on the postcode for ExCel (E16 1XL) and you can find the closest and the most popular pubs in the area - all with good beer.
Old May 10, 2014, 12:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jsintexas
I am traveling to London for a trade show at the ExCel exhibition hall with a group of co-workers.

We are staying at the Novatel next door to the exhibition hall.

Does anyone have recommendations for the best pubs and restaurants in the area?

Is there an area with many clubs nearby?

Man does not live by bread alone, he must have beer!
TBH you're staying in an area of reclaimed docklands with industrial minimalism as the main design feature, no real community and questionable neighbourhoods within walking distance ( which is why they were able to build the Excel where they did. )

However, there are great transport links from the Excel which take you West (always go West) notably the Docklands Light Railway (Custom House station ) which will get you to the historic City of London within 20 minutes.

It's hard to suggest anything in particular as the variety is huge but somewhere historic and reasonably close to you is the 500-year-old The Grapes,in Limehouse.
Take the DLR to Westferry and it's a five minute walk.
www.thegrapes.co.uk
However,there isn't a huge amount else in the vicinity.

Alternatively take a taxi to somewhere like Shoreditch which is 20 minutes away,achingly hip and rammed with good bars,clubs and restaurants.

www.timeout.com/london/bars-pubs
www.standard.co.uk/goingout/bars

Last edited by Showbizguru; May 10, 2014 at 12:39 am
Old May 10, 2014, 2:31 pm

I really wouldn't bother looking for anything by Excel. Jump on the DLR and head for Greenwich. (Note, the North Greenwich station on the Jubilee line is not actually Greenwich - you want the Cutty Sark station on the DLR). Walk along the river front past the naval college to the Cutty Sark pub, right on the river. You'll pass the Trafalgar Tavern, (also on the water) but that's getting mixed reviews, and I suggest you skip it.
Old May 10, 2014, 3:25 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Pubs near ExCel is a big ask.

The Gun has come on in leaps and bounds since it was a racist hovel 20 years ago.

Greenwich was a top suggestion from E16
Old May 11, 2014, 5:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
The w xyz bar at the Aloft hotel is right next to the Excel and is usually pretty buzzy and lively.
Old May 12, 2014, 2:04 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
The Fox at Connaught (out at the east side of the centre) is alright, though generally better if someone else is picking up the bar tab. They normally have some ales on, and mediocre food.

If it's a nice day, take the dangleway over the river from near the west entrance to Excel, then it's a short stroll to the Pilot Inn, a rather jolly little Fuller's pub on the Greenwich Peninsula. Note that the cable car stops running at 2100, so you may need to get the Jubilee Line + DLR back again.

Alternatively, you could try some places on the official DLR Ale Trail.
Old May 15, 2014, 11:22 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
If you don't want to head all the way in to the city I would probably go for The Narrow near Limehouse DLR. Its a nice riverside pub with a good food menu.

If you do head in to the City, there are plenty of pubs near bank station and on the back streets. I won't make a recommendation as the Fleet street area is normally where I visit city pubs.

If you like roof top bars there is Coq D'Argent on Poultry just outside bank station.

Don't go to Abacas on Cornhill.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by visualAd
If you don't want to head all the way in to the city I would probably go for The Narrow near Limehouse DLR. Its a nice riverside pub with a good food menu.

If you do head in to the City, there are plenty of pubs near bank station and on the back streets. I won't make a recommendation as the Fleet street area is normally where I visit city pubs.

If you like roof top bars there is Coq D'Argent on Poultry just outside bank station.

Don't go to Abacas on Cornhill.
Ahh yes Abacus, brings back some memories.

Not much around Excel, second the recommendation for Greenwich, much better pubs. Few bars in Canary Wharf, but very busy and not much character.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.