Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Registering and Re-Activating Oyster Card

Old Apr 26, 2014, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood

I've got two Oyster Cards for travel around London; they haven't been used for over five years and I believe them to be inactive.

I've read conflicting information online about how to get them reactivated. Some sites say that I will need to queue up in what could be rather long lines to get them reactivated at a ticket window. Other sites say that it can be done at a machine. Anyone have experience with this recently?

I've tried to register my card online to see if I could reactivate it that way and also add some funds. It appears that I need a UK address and phone number. Anyone ever register their card with a US address? If so, how was that done? I've tried to use a UK phone number but can't seem to get it to take.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
After two years of consecutive non-use, Oyster cards may stop working. You can, in principle, get any money on them refunded at a London Underground ticket office or TFL Travel Centre. I say "in principle" bedcause the policy is that you must produce proof of identification and permanent address, and that any refunds of over Ł10 will only be made by cheque in pounds sterling to that address. (This is sometimes relaxed but it seems to be at the discretion of the clerk.)

On the other hand, the card may work fine. It's not really clear what the criteria are.

You can only fully register an Oyster card in person at a station. Online, you can protect the card against theft but that does not count as registration.

My mother tried to register her Oyster card at Waterloo with her Irish address a few months back and was told it had to be a UK address. The clerk was being quite obstructive so I don't know whether this is an actual rule or something he made up.

You cannot top up an Oyster card online unless you will be using your Oyster card to make a non-bus journey in the eight-day period starting the day after you top up and can say where that journey will start or end.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Originally Posted by stifle
After two years of consecutive non-use, Oyster cards may stop working. You can, in principle, get any money on them refunded at a London Underground ticket office or TFL Travel Centre. I say "in principle" bedcause the policy is that you must produce proof of identification and permanent address, and that any refunds of over Ł10 will only be made by cheque in pounds sterling to that address. (This is sometimes relaxed but it seems to be at the discretion of the clerk.)

On the other hand, the card may work fine. It's not really clear what the criteria are.

You can only fully register an Oyster card in person at a station. Online, you can protect the card against theft but that does not count as registration.

My mother tried to register her Oyster card at Waterloo with her Irish address a few months back and was told it had to be a UK address. The clerk was being quite obstructive so I don't know whether this is an actual rule or something he made up.

You cannot top up an Oyster card online unless you will be using your Oyster card to make a non-bus journey in the eight-day period starting the day after you top up and can say where that journey will start or end.
Since I am in London several times a year, what I do immediately after getting off airplane.....go to ATM machine and then to the tube ticket booth to top of Oyster card. You can do it at any tube station!
Old Apr 27, 2014, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
You don't even need to go to the ATM as all machines and ticket booths that do Oyster top ups also accept cards
Old Apr 27, 2014, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Sent an email to the Oyster help desk and received this response:
"Oyster cards do not expire or get inactive just because you have not used them for a long time.

They might stop working for a series of other reasons, for example when they're damaged (bent, scratched, weare and teare etc).

Unless you've stopped them yourself by reporting them as lost or stolen, your Oyster cards will be good to use.

Our website is currently setup to only accept United Kingdom (UK) registered addresses and payment cards. This was introduced as a means of combating fraud. Although this may change in the future, you won’t be able to make use of the online account feature at the moment. You can top-up at any staffed London Underground station, Oyster Ticket Stops or Travel Information Centre, when you’re next in London."
Old Apr 27, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Originally Posted by stifle
You don't even need to go to the ATM as all machines and ticket booths that do Oyster top ups also accept cards
Agree, I just get extra GBP's if needed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.