Wiki Posts
Search

Ireland tourist Visa

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Ireland tourist Visa

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone here has applied for a tourist visa to visit Ireland. How long did it take and how exhaustive was the process. My and my wife have an upcoming trip with about 3.5 weeks to go. We sent our Visa application and supporting documents today to San Francisco consulate. Was wondering if this is enough time or change the flights.

The flights were award tickets and we have some flexibility but booked these dates based on availability.

Thanks.
Sud
Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by su9062
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone here has applied for a tourist visa to visit Ireland. How long did it take and how exhaustive was the process. My and my wife have an upcoming trip with about 3.5 weeks to go. We sent our Visa application and supporting documents today to San Francisco consulate. Was wondering if this is enough time or change the flights.

The flights were award tickets and we have some flexibility but booked these dates based on availability.

Thanks.
Sud
What country are your passports from?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:16 am
Original Poster

My passport is from India. On a work Visa here.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:48 am
Original Poster

I saw the pdf they have for approvals and denials. About 90% of the applications are denied. I never knew it is this hard.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:55 am
Suspended

I saw the pdf they have for approvals and denials. About 90% of the applications are denied. I never knew it is this hard.
The whole of Europe has a serious problem with illegal immigration and refugees and Ireland is an easy back route into the UK, the most popular destination, because ID is not required on ferries.

This may have something to do with it and although I sympathise with your situation I'm wondering whether you found it any easy to acquire a work visa for the US ?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
My passport is from India. On a work Visa here.
I don't think you've allowed enough time.

I'm Irish and renewing my Irish passport, a straightforward endeavour, through the Irish embassy in London, the nearest one to home, took six weeks from handing the application over to receiving the new passport in the mail. Your request is more complex, from a more distant location, and allows less time.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Showbizguru
The whole of Europe has a serious problem with illegal immigration and refugees and Ireland is an easy back route into the UK, the most popular destination, because ID is not required on ferries.

This may have something to do with it and although I sympathise with your situation I'm wondering whether you found it any easy to acquire a work visa for the US ?
I was a full scholarship grad student at a public University here. So work visa wasn't as hard. It was just finding a good job. I think the easiest way for work visas is to have graduate degree in science and tech in a US school. A lot of my friends thought it was a waste of time, but oh well, I was 21 at the time .
Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stifle
I don't think you've allowed enough time.

I'm Irish and renewing my Irish passport, a straightforward endeavour, through the Irish embassy in London, the nearest one to home, took six weeks from handing the application over to receiving the new passport in the mail. Your request is more complex, from a more distant location, and allows less time.
I think so too. I got carried away when i found space on AA awards. lol. The San Francisco Ireland consulate website says it generally takes 2 to 3 weeks to process tourist visas. And the tickets are AA awards, so it's not a total loss if they take like 5 weeks if i can change the flights.

The hardest part to me is that they do not have a tracking methodology, the only way to get any info is to call a 1800 number which costs $3 a min. I am surprised why they would charge that much.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:22 am

I haave some experience with this. I think most of the denials are students who don't show evidence of funding. What they're looking for is proof that you're not planning to stay. If you're staying with family or friends in Ireland and have no job to return to they might not like that but if you have a job back home and the financial records they ask for then you shouldn't have a problem getting a visa.

3.5 weeks is indeed a bit short though. I would give you a 80% chance of getting it in time but expect it to be *just* in time. Visas for Indian nationals in particular seem to take a while. I only have one data point matching your constraints but it took almost 4 weeks to get that visa. Most other consulates seemed to take about 2 weeks but India and the US were the slowest.

You could try sending in a letter specifically highlighting the timeline and asking for their help getting it in time for your flight. Letters to the consulate do get read by humans who do have some flexibility.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zkzkz
I haave some experience with this. I think most of the denials are students who don't show evidence of funding. What they're looking for is proof that you're not planning to stay. If you're staying with family or friends in Ireland and have no job to return to they might not like that but if you have a job back home and the financial records they ask for then you shouldn't have a problem getting a visa.

3.5 weeks is indeed a bit short though. I would give you a 80% chance of getting it in time but expect it to be *just* in time. Visas for Indian nationals in particular seem to take a while. I only have one data point matching your constraints but it took almost 4 weeks to get that visa. Most other consulates seemed to take about 2 weeks but India and the US were the slowest.

You could try sending in a letter specifically highlighting the timeline and asking for their help getting it in time for your flight. Letters to the consulate do get read by humans who do have some flexibility.
Thank you zkzkz. 80% chance is great. I will try sending a letter.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:27 am

Just as a note, Indian citizens who hold multiple entry UK visitor visas are granted visa-free access to Ireland (provided that visa has been used to visit the UK in the past).

It is easier to acquire a UK visa and then travel to Ireland via the UK to get around Ireland's own odious visa requirements. If you already have a UK visa that has been used and is still valid, you can travel directly to Ireland as well.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Showbizguru

By what measure is the UK the most popular destination for illegal immigrants and refugees? IME, it seems I'm far more likely to run into undocumented immigrants, refugees and asylum-seekers/recipients settled elsewhere in Europe than in the UK.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Just as a note, Indian citizens who hold multiple entry UK visitor visas are granted visa-free access to Ireland (provided that visa has been used to visit the UK in the past).

It is easier to acquire a UK visa and then travel to Ireland via the UK to get around Ireland's own odious visa requirements. If you already have a UK visa that has been used and is still valid, you can travel directly to Ireland as well.
Thank you, i read that a few days ago.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

I got good news today. We got our tourist visas approved last friday and the Fedex package was here today with our passports. This is by far the fastest visa anything I ever had to deal with. Our package was delivered in SF on tuesday, and they turned it to Fedex on Friday. That is 3 + days from delivery to pickup.

I like to think the way we arranged everything in the packet might have made some difference. But anyhow, SF Ireland consulate got a big plus from us.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:25 am

Visa Ireland 7 month noq

Dears Fellows
I hope every body keeping well, I was wondering if anyone here has applied for a tourist visa to visit Ireland. How long did it take. We sent our Visa application and supporting documents last July 2015 to Islamabad through Gerry post and get confirmation from Dublin Visa centre received in 10th of August 2015 and still waiting for them response.
please some one give me a positive response why i am delayed by them or they last my documents.
waiting for positive advice and response.
Shageem Ali

Last edited by shageem; Feb 26, 2016 at 3:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.