May 1st: Very Heavy Fines For Texting & Driving in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
May 1st: Very Heavy Fines For Texting & Driving in Ireland

Watch out if you're traveling to the Republic of Ireland from the 1st of May:
new regulations go into effect that mandate a court appearance and a fine of up to 1000 Euros if you are caught texting (or accessing your phone) while driving. This also applies to hands-free use of phone.
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime...fine-1.1759612
Old Apr 12, 2014, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Good.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 1:51 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Would not be an issue for me. When I drive there I am so focused on the road since you are driving on the left side. I hate the roundabouts.
I was driving in Miami a few months back on I-95 at the Golden Glades interchange came very close of getting side swiped by someone who was clearly doing something with his I pad. He had it right on the steering wheel.
Just keep in mind the Fed Ex truck crash in CA, maybe the driver fell asleep but I sure hope he was not texting.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 2:15 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Good.
Yes, I agree. Now if only they'd start enforcing the laws on this side of the Irish sea.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Plus an existing law that fines you for talking on a mobile: [b]Three penalty points are currently added to a driving licence, as well as an on-the-spot fine of as much as €90 for someone caught using a phone. Good laws. ^

Our state passed a "no texting" law but the police find it too hard to enforce. The driver can just say he was accessing info (maps, email, etc) on his phone, not texting. Weak law. But when you live in a very conservative state you aren't surprised. Baby steps...
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: BD,Skyteam,QF
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
new regulations go into effect that mandate a court appearance and a fine of up to 1000 Euros if you are caught texting (or accessing your phone) while driving. This also applies to hands-free use of phone.
Just to clarify..... 'this also applies to hands-free use of phone' means texting while the phone is in a hands-free cradle. The 'new' law is intended to clarify that while hands-free cradles are allowed, it has always been illegal to text while driving, even if the phone is cradled. It makes sense really.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
^ Fully supportive. Hopefully most people on this board have no need to pay attention to your "watch out" as they wouldn't dream of doing this in the first place.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:17 pm

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
If your phone is cradled and you are using the sat nav function you can still get done by the police. Be warned.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:17 am

Programs: BD,Skyteam,QF
Originally Posted by trustno1
If your phone is cradled and you are using the sat nav function you can still get done by the police. Be warned.
Yes, that's true. But even non-phone satnav systems have a warning when you switch them on, telling you not to operate them (i.e. do the setup) while driving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.