Vertigo 42 beware

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vertigo 42 beware

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Exclamation Vertigo 42 beware

Went with a friend to eat at Vertigo 42, unfortunately I did not give consent to the security search before you enter so we went somewhere else instead.

There was no advance warning of the security search so be warned.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
And 'Vertigo 42' is where?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Jenbel
And 'Vertigo 42' is where?
'Tapas' and champagne spot in EC2
http://www.vertigo42.co.uk/#londons-...-champagne-bar

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Apr 6, 2014 at 3:26 pm Reason: corrected location as not being "new"
Old Apr 6, 2014, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
What were you hiding then ?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Good for you.....I would have refused as well. Not that I would ever frequent such a place anyway.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
It's not new, it's been open for at least 15 years.

You obviously made your choice and that's fine, but given that the building was the target for a major terrorist bombing in the past which nearly resulted in the demolition of the building, I would have expected that they would have regular security measures. Most of the reviews mention it: e.g. http://www.timeout.com/london/bars-pubs/vertigo-42
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Many of the city buildings operate such security regimes.

Its not airport style as there is no ban on liquids and have never had an issue with the contents of my bags, both at Tower 42 and at 20 St Mary Axe. Obviously, you may not be able to take your battle axe and crossbow, but unlike airport security I am sure you can get your weapons back when you leave.

I have only once ever witnessed someone having alcohol confiscated but expect this is more for commercial reasons than security reasons.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:23 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by visualAd

...I have only once ever witnessed someone having alcohol confiscated but expect this is more for commercial reasons than security reasons.
Ah, so even rent-a-cops at commercial sites are guilty of "mission creep!"
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:40 am

Vertigo is in what some of us still refer to as the NatWest tower. Sadly, to some people, it's a target building. Hence the security check. Other high profile buildings (such as the 'Gherkin') also have similar checks, though the restaurants/bars in there are invitation only.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by GodAtum
Went with a friend to eat at Vertigo 42, unfortunately I did not give consent to the security search before you enter so we went somewhere else instead.

There was no advance warning of the security search so be warned.
Just curious, what was your hangup on this ? Because there was a security check, or because there was no advance warning ?

Do you similarly walk away from major sporting and entertainment venues when confronted with a security check upon arrival ?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Just curious, what was your hangup on this ? Because there was a security check, or because there was no advance warning ?

Do you similarly walk away from major sporting and entertainment venues when confronted with a security check upon arrival ?
+1

I really don't understand what the problem was. Does the OP also object to his being filmed everywhere in the City and if he drove there, his numberplates being checked?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I was slightly surprised, I have to say, to not be searched when I was in The Shard a couple of weeks ago.

But, yes, I get the impression the OP has no idea how The City works. Every vehicle that enters is automatically security checked. You are tracked by CCTV at all times. In general, a security check in what is an office building on 95% of the floors is also not a big deal given that most people are not carrying anything or only a handbag or briefcase - it isn't like an airport where everyone has three pieces of handbaggage!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: MUCCI
Lets be fair to the OP, they did say it was without advance warning. And I agree that people making reservations should be advised in advance.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: BD,Skyteam,QF
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer

I can understand the OP's concern. What sort of country is it, where everyone is on CCTV and searched like that? Maybe I'm getting old, but I'm less and less inclined to visit UK, what with this sort of thing, and armed patrols in the airport lounge (esp Gatwick), which I find very scary.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by measures
Maybe I'm getting old, but I'm less and less inclined to visit UK, what with this sort of thing, and armed patrols in the airport lounge (esp Gatwick), which I find very scary.
Not quite sure what the issue is?
The armed police officers you see at LGW and LHR, as well as FRA and other major airports, are much better trained and equipped than the average armed police officer at US airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.