Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Which Queue to Join at Airport Arrival in the U.K.?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Queue to Join at Airport Arrival in the U.K.?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:33 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Crazydre
Not true, I am a Swedish national and have been asked about Point of origin as well as Duration and Motive of my stay (yes, in the EU line). In fact, on one occasion, in Addition to my ID Card the (female) officer wanted to see another ID doc - I then showed my UBS bank card. She asked why I had a Swiss bank account. I explained that I live and study in Switzerland. She asked what I study and after replying "computer science" I was let through.

Been to the UK 10 times (entering at Gatwick each time), and was asked about Point of origin 5 times, and 3 times I was asked about Duration and Motive of my stay.
An immigration officer can ask you anything, just the same as I could. That doesn't actually mean you have to answer!

Now, upsetting an immigration officer might just slow your entry into the country a little more than just ignoring me in the street, so it's not necessarily the best plan, but eventually they would have to let you through.

I have only refused to answer a question once when re-entering the UK (as a British Citizen, so therefore I was on much stronger ground), which was the officer asking me where I'd arrived from. It was just after UK Border Force had removed the Iris machines, so my previous couple of times through had been somewhat longer than I thought necessary and I wasn't in the best of moods anyway. I told her three times I did not have to tell her and wasn't going to help given they had not helped me. She gave up and let me through.

Note that legally you do have to answer a UK Customs Officer's question - that's an entirely separate matter.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Hello, I've heard that the non-EU lanes at British Immigration are often shorter than the EU lines.

Is it allowed for me as an EU national to use the non-EU line?
Do you have a biometric passport? If so, the fastest choice is to use the E-gates. No lines and no questions. In my experience anyways.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
An immigration officer can ask you anything, just the same as I could. That doesn't actually mean you have to answer!

Now, upsetting an immigration officer might just slow your entry into the country a little more than just ignoring me in the street, so it's not necessarily the best plan, but eventually they would have to let you through.
Well, quite. The only problem is when the UKBA agent pretends that the correct answer to their question determines whether or not he or she will deign to let you into the UK. As we all know, EU citizens have a right to enter all other EU member states and the job of the UKBA agent is to ascertain that you are the person in your passport and that your passport is not fake; that is it.

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I have only refused to answer a question once when re-entering the UK (as a British Citizen, so therefore I was on much stronger ground), which was the officer asking me where I'd arrived from. It was just after UK Border Force had removed the Iris machines, so my previous couple of times through had been somewhat longer than I thought necessary and I wasn't in the best of moods anyway. I told her three times I did not have to tell her and wasn't going to help given they had not helped me. She gave up and let me through.
Theoretically all EU citizens are on ground of the same strength. This is why I am appalled at this particular poster's treatment, if he/she is indeed a citizen of Sweden traveling on a Swedish passport or national ID card.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: Miles & More
Originally Posted by stimpy
Do you have a biometric passport? If so, the fastest choice is to use the E-gates. No lines and no questions. In my experience anyways.
I have one, but only ever carry my ID Card in Europe. So no, the e-gates are not an Option.

I have nothing against being asked questions; it's only good that they're diligent about protecting their borders. What does bother me is Standing in the Queue.

That's why I wonder if it is allowed for me as an EU national to stand in the non-EU line?

Originally Posted by NYTA
I don't remember how it is in the UK, but at least in many European countries the lanes are marked "EU Only" and "All Passports" - which would lead me to believe that it's ok to go to the non EU line if you're an EU national.
In Europe other than the UK/Ireland (even in non-EU/EFTA European countries such as Moldova and Ukraine), it is "EU/EEA/CH" vs. "ALL PASSPORTS".

In Ireland, it's EU vs. NON EU and in the UK, at least at Gatwick, it is "UK/EU passports/EU ID Cards" vs. "All other passports". That's why I ask myself whether using the "All other passports" line is allowed in case it is shorter

Last edited by Crazydre; Nov 27, 2015 at 5:51 pm
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello, I've heard that the non-EU lanes at British Immigration are often shorter than the EU lines.

Is it allowed for me as an EU national to use the non-EU line?
The queues can be shorter but each applicant can take a lot longer.

A friend of mine was once stuck at the non-EU desk for over an hour answering questions about her status (which in my view should not have happened).
Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:15 am

I have one, but only ever carry my ID Card in Europe. So no, the e-gates are not an Option.

I have nothing against being asked questions; it's only good that they're diligent about protecting their borders. What does bother me is Standing in the Queue.
Surely if standing in the queue bothers you, you should just start bringing your passport with you? It seems like doing this would solve your problems. Millions of other people do it.

That's why I wonder if it is allowed for me as an EU national to stand in the non-EU line?
Technically you should be at UK airports. Most people don't know this, but you can stand in whichever line you want and they will have to process you anyway. A non-EU citizen can go to an EU desk and be processed there. The agent may not be happy about it, but they cannto refuse you.

[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajax
Surely if standing in the queue bothers you, you should just start bringing your passport with you? It seems like doing this would solve your problems. Millions of other people do it.

Technically you should be at UK airports. Most people don't know this, but you can stand in whichever line you want and they will have to process you anyway. A non-EU citizen can go to an EU desk and be processed there. The agent may not be happy about it, but they cannto refuse you.
Why not? I saw an angry man get turned away from the EU desk once for not having an EU passport.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Why not? I saw an angry man get turned away from the EU desk once for not having an EU passport.
Interesting. Well if you saw it happen then I'm sure it did, but I have been told the contrary by border guards. I am sure it was posted here somewhere before as well.

Non-EEA people routinely enter with their EEA spouses, of course, and only the most churlish of border guards would turn them away. I would imagine it would be literally unheard of.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajax
Interesting. Well if you saw it happen then I'm sure it did, but I have been told the contrary by border guards. I am sure it was posted here somewhere before as well.

Non-EEA people routinely enter with their EEA spouses, of course, and only the most churlish of border guards would turn them away. I would imagine it would be literally unheard of.
I don't know about the UK, but in Central Europe non-EU's absolutely cannot enter the Euro line even with a European spouse. Not in Germany, NL, Belgium, etc. YMMV of course.

On the other hand entering the US, mixed US and EU families can use the US citizen queues.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question UK equivalent of Global Enrollment/NEXUS

I queued for more than an hour last week in the non EU lane at LHR. Lots of ads for the UK equivalent of NEXUS/Global Enrollment.

I looked into this and fees are outrageous! NEXUS is $50 US for 5 years, while the UK program is 70 GBP for one year.

Why do they need their own program? Why not join GOES/NEXUS?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I queued for more than an hour last week in the non EU lane at LHR. Lots of ads for the UK equivalent of NEXUS/Global Enrollment.

I looked into this and fees are outrageous! NEXUS is $50 US for 5 years, while the UK program is 70 GBP for one year.

Why do they need their own program? Why not join GOES/NEXUS?
Because they are their own country? Why would they hand over control of their immigration to the US?

We have a thread on the subject here. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...sitors-uk.html

And it's Ł50, not Ł70 per year.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They could have gone with the Australian approach of reciprocal fast track/egate entry for GE members at no extra charge.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
They could have gone with the Australian approach of reciprocal fast track/egate entry for GE members at no extra charge.
I suppose, but the general attitude of the UK government is "if you can't afford to come here, go somewhere else". London isn't exactly suffering from a lack of visitors.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: Miles & More
Originally Posted by JFSV
As mentioned above, it is very rare (in my experience) for the non-EU lines to be emptier than the EU lines. But if they are indeed emptier, then there is no rule or otherwise that I am aware of that would enable the immigration officer to turn you away or make you go to the EU line. If that happens, I would seriously raise this with the chief immigration officer.

hope this helps
Done this a number of times now, at Heathrow T2, Luton and Gatwick. No issues whatsoever. However, on my two most recent entries, both at Stansted (where the EU queue was packed, and the non-EU queue empty), I got scolded.

Last edited by Crazydre; Jan 24, 2017 at 2:33 am
Old Jan 24, 2017, 2:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Done this a number of times now, at Heathrow T2, Luton and Gatwick. No issues whatsoever. However, on my two most recent entries, both at Stansted (where the EU queue was packed, and the non-EU queue empty), I got scolded.

Here's what happened yesterday at Stansted
Did he mention Sweden/Swedish because of his confusing it with Switzerland/Swiss, or was it something else that prompted the Swedish thing from the UKBF guy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.