Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Which Queue to Join at Airport Arrival in the U.K.?

Which Queue to Join at Airport Arrival in the U.K.?

Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:04 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by stifle
Her Italian ID card will be absolutely fine on its own in the EU queue.
Thanks everyone for the replies. It is good to have that confirmed.

For some reason I was getting paranoid that coming from North America would make the process/questions different.

I always enter on my Italian ID (as did she once) when flying from the EU but when flying eastbound I have just always shown my Italian or American passport out of habit. I might give the ID card a try next time just because I can LOL.

I got stopped at T4 once when they had the random exit controls working and showed my American passport, as I was flying to America, but my Italian ID card fell out of my wallet and the agent had a minor fit. My experiences entering (talking to you MAN) and exiting the UK have tended to involve the most "hassle" when it comes to the "western" countries so sometimes I just overthink it...so thanks again for the help!

*(Yes I know the USA is notorious for such things like hassle at entry but my Global Entry has helped with that. I enjoy the UK, lived there years ago, and am in no way casting aspersions.)
Old Jan 10, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
my country of origin does not allow dual nationality, and the Home Office does not lie if asked
I have - or had - ILR since 1982. 31 years. Now I have a biometric "residence permit" and have to do the fingerprints etc on arrival, having been caught up in The Great UKBA Cock-Up of 2012.

Anyway, years ago, an Immigration official asked me why I didn't just get a UK passport.
I said, "Well, it costs time and money, police reports etc, I spend more than 180 days a year out of the country (which would have made me ineligible at the time), and my country doesn't allow dual-passports"

"Ah", he said, "But who would tell your country? We wouldn't - it's our business who we issue passports to"
Old Jan 10, 2014, 6:06 am

And ... coming in to ABZ from abroad, I join the non-EU/Norway queue with my landing card and always get processed before most of the EU queue.

Not so lucky at LHR T5, which I avoid whenever possible.

Widerře/SAS don't bother handing out landing cards on their SVG-ABZ flight so filling one out at the desk can slow me down but I usually keep a few in my pocket for that reason.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by :D!
I expect the majority people with ILR will only hold it for 12 months before applying for British citizenship (which can take a few more months), so it isn't the end of the world.
I've had my ILR for 20+ years
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
For some reason I was getting paranoid that coming from North America would make the process/questions different.
If you're entering on an EU passport they are not allowed to ask you any questions about the purpose or duration of your visit (as you're entering as a matter of right, not privilege). And Immigration really have no way of knowing where someone has just flown in from, unless there have been no other arrivals... so as far as they are concerned it's just a case of an Italian entering the country, it doesn't matter where from.

(I've occasionally been asked where I've just arrived from, but that was usually when I was one of the first people off the aircraft and it seemed to be more a case of Immigration wanting to establish which flight they dealing with with rather than wanting to know where I had just been)
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by mandolino
"Ah", he said, "But who would tell your country? We wouldn't - it's our business who we issue passports to"
Yup, I've been told this as well. I know the Brits won't tell, but, equally, they won't lie if they are asked directly

My country of citizenship does (on occasion - e.g. if your passport has been lost , stolen or allowed to expire) request that you get written proof from the Home Office that you do not hold British citizenship. In fact, they have a standard form to this effect published on their London High Commission website, which they ask some citizens to get the Home Office to fill out
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:35 pm

My country of citizenship does (on occasion - e.g. if your passport has been lost , stolen or allowed to expire) request that you get written proof from the Home Office that you do not hold British citizenship
Well blow me down with a feather. That's the first time I've heard of that.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, LH Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Le Club Accorhotels, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
What is confusing?
It's all pretty clear: you can use the EU line. What makes you think you can't?
Sorry to resurrect an old thread...

Just some feedback re: what is quoted on the MAN website re: use of the EU queue at http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/m...ntent/Arriving

My wife (Canadian with ILR) tried to do this this morning at MAN T1 (she had a screenshot of the website on her phone just in case) but the guy at the EU desk - although pleasant - said he couldn't process her as he didn't have a stamp! She was, to be fair, allowed to the front of the non-EU queue and processed quickly after that. I know this is in essence a "perk" but why advertise if it cannot be delivered?! I am going to e-mail MAN Customer Services to clarify position as it can often be a nightmare at non-EU MAN T1, especially if you hit the same time as the EK/EY/TK and morning TATL arrivals...
Old Jun 28, 2014, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by SteelCityBoy
... I know this is in essence a "perk" but why advertise if it cannot be delivered?!...
I agree completely. I don't know why the full information can't be clearly displayed at ports of entry where there are separate queues and why "rules", once established, can't be applied consistently, at least within the one airport or port.

For example, holders of a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode in the UK are definitely entitled to use the UK/EU/EEA queue at ports of entry, but this information never appears at those ports of entry, and there are anecdotal reports of such people sometimes being required to use the non-UK queue at one or two smaller British airports. (It makes complete sense that these people should use the same entry queue as British citizens, since they have exactly the same entry rights as British citizens and are not subject to any form of immigration control.)

Family members of EU/EEA nationals always seem to be a point of contention here, and obviously holders of indefinite leave to remain can be too. In these cases, whatever system is decided upon should be properly publicised and adhered to, imo.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, LH Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Le Club Accorhotels, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by Christopher
I agree completely. I don't know why the full information can't be clearly displayed at ports of entry where there are separate queues and why "rules", once established, can't be applied consistently, at least within the one airport or port.

For example, holders of a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode in the UK are definitely entitled to use the UK/EU/EEA queue at ports of entry, but this information never appears at those ports of entry, and there are anecdotal reports of such people sometimes being required to use the non-UK queue at one or two smaller British airports. (It makes complete sense that these people should use the same entry queue as British citizens, since they have exactly the same entry rights as British citizens and are not subject to any form of immigration control.)

Family members of EU/EEA nationals always seem to be a point of contention here, and obviously holders of indefinite leave to remain can be too. In these cases, whatever system is decided upon should be properly publicised and adhered to, imo.
Agreed, I will see what MAN Customer Services come back with...

And don't get me started on landing cards for ILR holders - seems a total waste of time !
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:33 am

And don't get me started on landing cards for ILR holders - seems a total waste of time !
They are indeed.

Now I have the Biometric Residence Permit
, I have to use the non-EU/EEA queue anyway as they are they only ones at ABZ with the fingerprint scanner.

The whole rigmarole takes longer than before, and let's' not mention the five months the UKBA kept my new 2nd passport before issuing the card. I'd only sent it in to get the ILR stamp - I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!

As one UK Immigration officer said to me at ABZ, "It'd have been better if they would just let you come and go on this card, but now you have two things to lose!"

I did forget it the first time I went abroad, and on my return they just typed in my details from my passport, found my file, and took my prints.

Russia, previously one of the worst offenders at entry paperwork, now has little printers at the entry desk and they just print out an landing card with your details which you sign.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by kt74
Yup, I've been told this as well. I know the Brits won't tell, but, equally, they won't lie if they are asked directly
Not sure how outdated this info is, but please don't count on it. An acquaintance who had just naturalised as a British citizen flew to their home country (India) soon after the event on their Indian passport - and almost got denied entry. Apparently Indian authorities allow a grace period of three months to use the Indian passport and luckily for the acquaintance they were within that timeframe.

Moral of the story - (at least some) governments do share this info. Whether it's a pull or push, I can't say.

As an aside - nice to see folks have had their ILRs for ages. I thought I was in minority wanting to stick w/ my original nationality!
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:34 am

Moral of the story - (at least some) governments do share this info. Whether it's a pull or push, I can't say.
It depends on bilateral agreements. They are made and broken all the time. One of those things that keeps diplomats and foreign missions busy.

I'd be interested in more detail on how your friend almost got denied entry.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by enthusiastic flier
Not sure how outdated this info is, but please don't count on it. An acquaintance who had just naturalised as a British citizen flew to their home country (India) soon after the event on their Indian passport - and almost got denied entry. Apparently Indian authorities allow a grace period of three months to use the Indian passport and luckily for the acquaintance they were within that timeframe.
Slightly OT, although India doesn't allow dual nationality, it does allow OCI, which is basically Indian citizenship without the passport.

How could your acquaintance have been denied entry as an OCI individual?
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Christopher
I remember at Liverpool airport the immigration officer wanted me to fill out a landing card. I told him I didn't need to as a I had RoA. He was very insistent and so was I. Eventually I asked for his supervisor and that fixed the problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.