Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer in LGW

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2013, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Transfer in LGW

Hi All,

I'm new here and looking for guidance. What is a safe amount of time to transfer at LGW on seperate tickets?

Thank you,
Vickie
Old Dec 19, 2013, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
There really isn't a safe time on separate tickets because the second airline will not have any obligation to help you out.

You will save some time by having your onward boarding pass with you and using Gatwick Connect, which is located in the baggage hall. This works whichever terminal you are departing from. Nevertheless, if you miss the flight, you miss the flight.

I wouldn't even consider it in less than 2 hours, 3 hours would be more sensible and 4 hours, whilst not safe, should cover most eventualities.

If, however, your onward connection is cancellable, it might be better not to check in but take a view as to whether you will need to cancel for a refund, at such time as you are able to do so and after you have an idea of whether the first flight is running on time or very late.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 6:39 am

If your second flight is on easyJet, then you might wish to consider adding their "Missed Flight Cover" at the time of booking (can't be done afterwards), which allows you to travel on the next available easyJet flight to the same destination (i.e. must be spare seats on the flight) or get a full refund.

It's a no quibble arrangement - you just have to arrive at the airport within 4 hours after your scheduled departure, and go to the easyJet sales desk to make your claim. (So it wouldn't work if your first flight was very late, re-scheduled for significantly later in the day, or cancelled.)
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:56 am

I think we need a LOT more information before we can even start to offer advice.

- Are you checking baggage?
- Are your flights from the same terminal?
- Where are you flying to and from?
- What airline(s)?
- If you're having to retrieve/recheck baggage, and your inbound flight is an international flight - what is your nationality?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.