Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian (DY) to launch LGW to JFK, FLL, LAX in July14

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2013, 7:13 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by Roger
Premium fare of £1,409 return on dummy booking includes catering, seat reservation, 20kg baggage.
... or in other words £100 less than a Club or even CWLCY sale fare. You'd have to be beyond out of your mind to pay those prices for PE.

That said, I could probably put up with Economy on an eastbound day flight at these prices. And the flight back home could just well be a one-way redemption in BA F. Interesting!
Old Oct 17, 2013, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by csutter
... or in other words £100 less than a Club or even CWLCY sale fare. You'd have to be beyond out of your mind to pay those prices for PE.
But you don't need a Saturday night stay and that's a massive difference. What's BA WT+ if you don't want to be away for the weekend? £2500 or so?
Old Oct 17, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Please BA it's time to respond on longhaul at LGW.

A BA USA route with connection opportunities on AA would be nice.

cs
I understand your frustration, but there's nothing to respond to. BA's business model isn't twice weekly flights to attract the leisure market.

Good luck to Norwegian but I don't think that the flights will last long.

If the actions of a competitor drove you, BA would have flown the same outlandish routes that bmi started when the bong was passed around at Castle Donnington.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 7:34 am

Programs: BAEC Sludge
Does anyone see BA/Oneworld doing a spoiler? I recall American went into Stansted a few years back to kill off the competition (and then withdrew).

I can see that Norwegian is potentially a different market but...
Old Oct 17, 2013, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by csutter
... or in other words £100 less than a Club or even CWLCY sale fare.
Let me know where you can buy today at those prices - CW to LAX return for £1,509, I think not. A dummy booking for the same dates came to £3,298 in CW. Even out of my mind, I can see that that is more than double. @:-)
That said, I could probably put up with Economy on an eastbound day flight at these prices. And the flight back home could just well be a one-way redemption in BA F. Interesting!
Yes, but eastbound with DY is overnight. As for the one way redemption in F, try finding availability. I tried several dates over several months without success. And on the dates with availability, they were connections using flights with AA via BOS or AB via DUS, with interesting turboprop connections in Y to add to the BA F experience.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Roger
Premium 'taxes' round trip surcharge is £245, described as Airport Surcharge. Round trip YQ is £100 (surcharge on what, exactly, on a fare that wasn't available
yesterday? )
Er, those figures are for two.

'Taxes' are £122.50 p.p. and YQ is £50 p.p in premium to LAX.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Polomarc

Hiddy I guess we will have to see how much $$££NorskeKr backing they have
They'll need lots of it and be prepared to lose a lot of it as well. Setting the routes up is the easy part sustaining them at a level in order to make enough profit to claw back the money invested is the hard bit. Two of the three routes seem odd choices.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by baggageinhall
BA's business model isn't twice weekly flights to attract the leisure market.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21616682-post52.html

Old Oct 17, 2013, 8:05 am

Long-haul. I meant long-haul. I just didn't say it explicitly and relied on an inference (ie, yes, good point well made Kgmm77)

Old Oct 17, 2013, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Ryanair would already be doing it if it was viable.

It won't last.
Ryanair have been planning it for a long time now - maybe they'll start soon as well?

Not to mention that while Norweigan and Ryanair look similar, they don't have exactly the same business model. While it may not be a roaring success, I don't see why they can't tick along by charging less than the legacy carriers. It doesn't need to be that much cheaper to persuade a small percentage of people to use them - all they really need for a couple of flights a week.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
They'll need lots of it and be prepared to lose a lot of it as well. Setting the routes up is the easy part sustaining them at a level in order to make enough profit to claw back the money invested is the hard bit. Two of the three routes seem odd choices.
I'm guessing FLL is one of the two "odd choices" - but I can't decide which of New York or Los Angeles you think is an odd choice for British holidaymakers (not that FLL is a particularly odd choice for a holiday maker - it's just that it was never served directly from Europe until DY came along).

They will also serve OAK (Oakland, across from San Francisco) from Scandinavia so that's a potential future addition from LGW, too. And of course BKK too.

Originally Posted by CAPA
(Norwegian) expects the long-haul operation to achieve an efficient scale in 2014, but to be cash-positive from 2013. According to Norwegian’s projections, long-haul should grow to account for 4% of departures, 8% of passenger and 46% of ASKs in 2015, when the long-haul fleet will rise to eight aircraft.

Norwegian’s long-haul CASK target is NOK0.30-0.35 by 2015/2016, with a significant reduction from 2Q2013 to 3Q2013. Part of its strategy to lower long-haul unit costs is to base aircraft and crew locally in its long-haul destinations and a US base is now planned, in addition to a Bangkok base. It is also likely that it plans to add longer sectors in order to lower CASK.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by callum9999
Ryanair have been planning it for a long time now - maybe they'll start soon as well?

Not to mention that while Norweigan and Ryanair look similar, they don't have exactly the same business model. While it may not be a roaring success, I don't see why they can't tick along by charging less than the legacy carriers. It doesn't need to be that much cheaper to persuade a small percentage of people to use them - all they really need for a couple of flights a week.
Ryanair have been talking about it for a long time. O'Leary knows that hot air isn't just essential to airfield operations (the air, not the hotness necessarily) but to free marketing. How many times have we heard about standing room only or toilets that you have to pay for. All free marketing.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by callum9999
Ryanair are nowhere near starting long-haul/tranatlantic flights - they don't have any suitable aircraft on order.

A recent report said they would offer flights to the US for $10 "as soon as 2017".
Old Oct 17, 2013, 8:16 am

The 9 months until launch is plenty of time to be selling tickets, and by charging extra for luggage and food their base prices will be lower and therefore often first on internet search engines.
While many have failed to crack low cost long haul, sooner or later an airline with genuinely lower costs (BKK based crew, 787 etc) will do it.

I would be tempted to bet on Norwegian! Though I must admit, they only ordered 8 787's so I don't think they're willing to bet the house on longhaul, and could easily backtrack.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 8:31 am

Flew LGW-LPA on Norwegian for the first time on sunday and i have to say i was very pleased.

Paid £3 extra to choose an overwing exit seat, but when i checked in at the machine 1DEF were empty so bagged 1F. Tagged my own bag and dropped it off. No queue whatsoever.

Boarding was handled efficiently with the front half of the plane down the airbridge and the rear half of the plane walking across the tarmac to stairs. Departed 5 mins early.

Im sure there was more legroom in 1F than on BA. Empty seat next to me. Leather seats. Squint and it was almost CE...

Crew were very pleasant and i was addressed by name (read from my credit card!). Free wifi makes a huge difference and makes the flight go much quicker.

My only gripe was the BOB food offering was rubbish. Must take my own next time.

Overall though, it was the most pleasant non BA flight ive had for a long time.

Back to topic, LAX seems an odd choice. Surely SFO would be more leisure orientated?

Last edited by saintby; Oct 17, 2013 at 8:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.