IRIS is being replaced in the UK with Registered traveller scheme

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IRIS is being replaced in the UK with Registered traveller scheme

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
I think they need to fine tune the program a bit more, but it worked well for me. Applied, was approved for stage 1, and completed stage 2 3 weeks ago upon arrival at LHR. Received final enrollment 24 hours later. Just arrived back in LHR yesterday. At T3 both Fast Track and "other passports" line was easlily 1 hour waiting, UK/EU line took less than 10 minutes. Only problem is you must carry the approval letter (or printed card) with you to show to the agent. If you forget the card or letter, they may not allow you to use the line and you will need to fill out a landing card.

Otherwise, great program if the other lines are long
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:19 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was approved but the agent who took the approval letter didn't say anything about carrying a copy of the approval email I got the next day (and I didn't read it carefully, assuming it was more of the same)! So thanks for mentioning it.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by jib71
Do you have a source for that prediction? I think you could well be right, but I haven't seen any official statement on this.
After painful experiences with the UKBA, given that it would make logical sense to allow UK residents with ILR in the programme, the UKBA will *definitely* do the opposite.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Full Score
…we have received applications from applicants that have indefinite leave to remain, leave to remain or a visa. As this stage of the pilot, in its first weeks of operation, the scheme is only open to those travelling on ‘visitor’ status…
I have a visa (Tier 1) and I was approved, processed at LHR and have received my membership card.

Was this a mistake?

Haven't tried using it yet…
Old Dec 1, 2013, 3:48 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
I have a visa (Tier 1) and I was approved, processed at LHR and have received my membership card.

Was this a mistake?
Apparently so.

Did you apply online? How did you answer the question: "What has been the purpose of most of your visits to the UK?" Did you put NOTA (i.e. not a visitor) and still get approved?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 12:37 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by :D!
Did you apply online? How did you answer the question: "What has been the purpose of most of your visits to the UK?" Did you put NOTA (i.e. not a visitor) and still get approved?
Yes, I applied online. I'm trying to remember exactly what my answers were, but I intended to and attempted to answer every question completely truthfully. It was not until after I was approved that I realised that perhaps I shouldn't have been.

When I crossed the border at LHR and presented my registration letter along with my residence permit, the fellow at the desk was confused at first but then said something about how they must be opening the program up to more people now. This was in October I think.

I suppose I need to ring them and check on all of this. I'm working toward ILR and want to do everything 100% by the book.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
I suppose I need to ring them and check on all of this. I'm working toward ILR and want to do everything 100% by the book.
I doubt very much that erroneously registering for this will affect you getting ILR, but who knows what happens in the bowels of Lunar House.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:40 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by incognitius
I swear I don't know where my taxes go sometimes, whether home or abroad... Are the T&C restricting resident aliens only for the trial? In other words, will they open this program up to a wider pool come 1 April?
Has anyone heard anything from "official" channels about the opening up of this scheme from April 1? In particular, for those with Indefinite Leave to Remain?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:03 am

So I just got my letter saying I can proceed to step 2. It seems silly to go ahead with it now since I'll presumably only be able to use it once before April 1st. But I wonder if being in the trial scheme will make it easier to get into the full scheme? I haven't heard any news about the full scheme so I wonder if it'll be delayed and the trial scheme extended? I wonder if I bring my letter to the UK on April 1st if I'll just accidentally be let into the full scheme?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by zkzkz
So I just got my letter saying I can proceed to step 2. It seems silly to go ahead with it now since I'll presumably only be able to use it once before April 1st. But I wonder if being in the trial scheme will make it easier to get into the full scheme? I haven't heard any news about the full scheme so I wonder if it'll be delayed and the trial scheme extended? I wonder if I bring my letter to the UK on April 1st if I'll just accidentally be let into the full scheme?
The full scheme will begin on 1st April; you'll need to pay a joining fee and annual fee if you want to join
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
NOTE that there is an existing, and perhaps more active, thread covering this topic in the British Airways section, in case you want more info.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 3:41 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
People with ILR can now register for the registered traveller scheme - provided they have a passport from one of the eligible countries and they were registered for IRIS:
https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller

Trial period is free of charge. Fees will be payable later this year, apparently.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
This just in from our friends at Border Force:

As a person enrolled on to Border Force’s Registered Traveller service with a biometric passport you are hereby authorised to use automated gates to enter the United Kingdom (UK) at Gatwick and Heathrow airports rather than seeing a Border Forcer officer at immigration control.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
This just in from our friends at Border Force:
Not much use then. Every time I've been through LHR in the past year or so (always early morning) the E-gates have all been closed.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by phol
Not much use then. Every time I've been through LHR in the past year or so (always early morning) the E-gates have all been closed.
Doesn't seem to make sense not to register simply because the e-passport gates sometimes are closed. They were open when I flew through LHR two weeks ago, but even if they were not, registering still allows me to use any of the FastTrack, UK/EU, and other passports lines. And if they are open, I can choose among the e-passport gates and the FastTrack, UK/EU, and other passports lines. No downside that I can see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.