Reload this Page >

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BotB
The Registered Traveller Scheme is intended to allow easier entry for regular visitors to the UK.

The scheme is available for regular travelers to the UK who have a passport issued by

Africa
Botswana, Namibia, Seychelles.

Asia
Brunei, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region passports only), Japan, Macao Special Administrative Region, Malaysia, Maldives, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan (if your passport has a personal ID number on the photo page)

Europe
Andorra, Monaco, Vatican City State.

Middle East
Israel.

North America
Bahamas, Canada, Mexico, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, USA.

Oceania
Australia, Nauru, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga.

South and Central America
Argentina, Belize, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay.

* Visited the UK 4 times in the previous 24 months as a Business visitor, General visitor, Member of a diplomatic mission, Academic visitor, Entertainment or sports visitor, In transit - passing through the UK, Parent of a child in a UK school or Medical visitor. This generally includes tourists.

* Hold a valid visa in the categories Tiers 1, 2, 4 or 5 (excluding Creative/Sporting concession), Indefinite Leave to Remain, Naturalisation, UK Ancestry, Family member or spouse/partner. Note that EEA family permits, discretionary leave and leave outside the rules are excluded.

The application cost is £70 of which £50 is refunded if the application is rejected. Renewal costs £50 each year and changes of document details cost £20.

Registered Travellers are able to use the faster entry lanes (generally EU lines) when going through the UK Border at Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, East Midlands, Edinburgh, Gatwick (special registered traveller line), Glasgow, Heathrow, London City, Luton, Manchester, Southend and Stansted airports (or, alternatively, the ePassport gates if they have a biometric passport; while the ePassport gates at LHR T3 & T4 are being renovated the FastTrak lines can be used or the EU lines can be used). You will not have to fill in a landing card. (you do still need to carry your visa or BRP (biometric residence permit))

In addition, Registered Travellers are able to go through the UK Border at the Brussels, Lille and Paris Eurostar terminals without having to fill in a landing card.

Registered Travellers who hold a UK visa will not have their fingerprints checked at the UK Border.

Registration link: https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller
Some extra information from Gatwick Airport is here.
Older terms and conditions of the initial trial are recorded in post 78.
Print Wikipost

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I qualify for citizenship in more than one country; and if I so much as care to do so, I can get at least one of these EU citizenships and the related passport for under £225. Just need to mail in an application, pay a fee, get the certificate and stop by the passport-issuing authority near one of my homes and pay one more fee. Voila, then I'm egate enabled for a handful of years ahead for less than £230 in fees.
Then maybe you should proceed to obtain the said EU citizenship and stop confusing others reading this thread by continuing to put forward a comparison of cost which simply does not apply to the majority of them?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stargold
Then maybe you should proceed to obtain the said EU citizenship and stop confusing others reading this thread by continuing to put forward a comparison of cost which simply does not apply to the majority of them?
I think the mention of costs is relevant to the value of the program. And for those eligible for Fast Track passport control at LHR, the value of RT has dropped over the course of the past 12-18 months despite the costs for getting it and keeping it being relatively high and steady. That was the point, and it's not confusing.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:34 am

Mention of costs is certainly relevant to the value of the program, but comparison against your particular set of personal circumstances means nothing to the majority of the people reading this thread, and your repeated reference to a comparison between £230 and £50 per year serves no real purpose whatsoever. I would have thought it would be clear that's what I meant by "confusing".

Wait times for Fast Track passport control has always been highly variable, and often results in a longer wait time compared to the non-FT non-EU queue when a few problematic cases clog up the 1-2 officers manning the FT queue, let alone the UK/EU e-gates queue. It cannot be relied upon in such a manner as to say "For those eligible for Fast Track passport control at LHR, the value of RT has dropped over the course of the past 12-18 months."

With RT, you have the option of taking the fastest queue every time.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles

Indeed. I always have a peek at all the options when approaching the "corrals"
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Mention of costs is certainly relevant to the value of the program, but comparison against your particular set of personal circumstances means nothing to the majority of the people reading this thread, and your repeated reference to a comparison between £230 and £50 per year serves no real purpose whatsoever. I would have thought it would be clear that's what I meant by "confusing".

Wait times for Fast Track passport control has always been highly variable, and often results in a longer wait time compared to the non-FT non-EU queue when a few problematic cases clog up the 1-2 officers manning the FT queue, let alone the UK/EU e-gates queue. It cannot be relied upon in such a manner as to say "For those eligible for Fast Track passport control at LHR, the value of RT has dropped over the course of the past 12-18 months."

People can determine for themselves which set of circumstances are applicable to themselves. Other people's circumstances -- whether very common or less so -- are part of the picture for the overall value proposition of RT given its initial and recurring membership costs being as high as they are. After some UK airports launch pay for Fast Track passport control, the relative value of RT will also change. Informing people that looking for other alternatives to RT isn't a sin. It's additional info whether or not it's useful for a majority or for a minority.

Wait times for the egates (and even processing time at the egates) has increasingly become highly variable over the past 12-18 months while the same is not the case for Fast Track which is as it has been for more than 12-18 months.

The value of being able to use the egates has dropped for passengers over the past 12-18 months relative to the alternatives. This can be relied upon.

The egate lines used for RT becoming increasingly worse over the past 12-18 months are why stimpy saw the new machines he saw.

Even with RT or otherwise enabled for egate use, a person may not always have the option of taking the fastest line possible. For that, Fast Track availability and use of a non-EU/EEA passport may make a difference in how much choice a person has to choose the fastest lines at LHR.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 5, 2017 at 10:03 am
Old May 2, 2017, 11:49 am

Just to add some data points:

- Ended up on a business trip before my planned journey from Paris GdN, so I didn't get a chance to test whether it works there or not. I guess it should work just fine, in practice.
Has anyone managed to activate the membership from Paris? I sent an email enquiry but got no response so far...
Old May 3, 2017, 1:15 am

I was late renewing by nearly a month. Realised I'd forgotten to send payment, so chanced my luck and paid it anyway.

A few days am told it's been renewed, and the new expiry date is from that date, not my original expiry...

Not worth chancing £20 application fee if they refuse to renew, but still interesting.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:08 am
pH

Programs: AA EXP
Hello all,

If anyone has insight into a few observations/questions it would be most appreciated:

1) I recently renewed my membership for the Registered Traveller scheme and was accepted. However, they sent me an email asking me to go through the Non-EU queue the next time I come through passport control to show my documents. Considering I have not changed my passport or visa (tier 2) as a part of the renewal, what is the logic behind this? It is annoying as I am trying to avoid more entry stamps to save space in my passport...they frustratingly stamp me in when the e-gates fail as well.

2) After receiving the notice that my membership had been provisionally renewed, I received another email offering a chance to have my documents checked in person at Heathrow before my next trip. They asked me to send them a list of dates/times I could come to LHR to have the check done. Has anyone else used this new service?

Excerpt from the email:
"If you are currently in the United Kingdom and wish to validate/confirm your Registered Traveller Service membership before your next outward journey in order to enjoy the benefits of full membership [ i.e. using the UK/EEA passport lane or the ePassport Gates if you hold an ePassport] on your next arrival into the UK please reply to this email completing the information below."

Thanks so much for any insight!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Received an email that you will soon be able to add children to your Registered Traveler account. The details:

As a member who has recently renewed you can now apply to add your children to your Registered Traveller membership.

This is a new service and you can apply with this email invitation before it's available on the GOV.UK website.

The ‘Apply to add a child’ link in this email will only work with your Registered Traveller number.

How Registered Traveller child membership works

Children must travel with the parent that applied for them. A child’s membership is linked and dependent on this parent’s membership. You won't be able to use the ePassport gates when you travel with your children.

When you travel together, you and your children:
  • can use the UK/EEA passport lanes
  • don't have to fill in a landing card

Eligibility

Your child must:
  • be aged 17 or under
  • have a visa, entry clearance or have visited the UK at least 4 times in the last 24 months
  • have an eligible passport

Fee

For each child there is an administration fee of £20.00, plus £2.00 per month until the date your membership expires. A child membership will always expire when your membership does. After you log in and have entered your child's date of birth, the application will tell you how much you need to pay.

You will get the membership fee back if your application is unsuccessful. You will not get the £20.00 administration fee back.

How to apply

You have to make a separate application and payment for each of your children.

To apply you will need:
  • your Registered Traveller number
  • your child's passport
You will get a decision on your child's application within 10 working days.

If accepted, the first time you travel to the UK together you must:
  • go through the ‘other passports’ lane with your child
  • fill in a landing card for them
You may also need to prove the relationship between you and any children travelling with you, for example if you have a different surname. You can do this with:
  • a birth or adoption certificate showing your relationship with the child
  • divorce or marriage certificates if you’re the parent, but have a different surname to the child
The immigration officer will then confirm they have added your children to your membership and if so you will get a confirmation email within 48 hours.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:21 pm

Hi all,

I am aware that for the initial RTS application, one has to have entered the UK at least 4 times in the last 24 months.

Is this rule required for renewal? (i.e. 4 entries in the 24 months prior to renewal)

Also, does one have to attend an interview on renewal again?

P.S. I'm asking for my wife who is a non-EU national (US Citizen), entering for tourism/seeing family with me - she does not have a visa. I'm trying to assess the longer-term value beyond the first year, and how this value changes depending on if we make 2-4 trips to the UK from the US each year. I am a UK Citizen, so I've usually just taken my wife through the EU line with me in the past.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by dylanks
Received an email that you will soon be able to add children to your Registered Traveler account. The details:
Or not... received this follow-up today:

We recently sent you an email invitation to add children to your Registered Traveller membership.

This email was sent in error as the service is not currently available.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Simon Schus
Hi all,

I am aware that for the initial RTS application, one has to have entered the UK at least 4 times in the last 24 months.

Is this rule required for renewal? (i.e. 4 entries in the 24 months prior to renewal)

P.S. I'm asking for my wife who is a non-EU national (US Citizen), entering for tourism/seeing family with me - she does not have a visa. I'm trying to assess the longer-term value beyond the first year, and how this value changes depending on if we make 2-4 trips to the UK from the US each year. I am a UK Citizen, so I've usually just taken my wife through the EU line with me in the past.
I'm not sure of the requirement for a renewal. I don't think 4 entries are needed, but the only way to find out would be to try to renew it and see what happens. I had far more than 4 entries so I don't know.

Per some of the posts above, it sounds like there may need to re-enter the UK at least once through the non-UK queue, though I don't know yet as my renewal is being processed currently. I wouldn't really call than an interview so much as confirming details of the passport and updating any details.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

£2 a month? To maintain a database record?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:54 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Simon Schus
Hi all,

I did not have to go thru the non-UK line for an interview after renewal.

I do believe i had 4 UK trips in the last 24 months though. Given renewal is yearly, I would almost expect 2 UK trips in the last 12 months would be more rational. Also, FWIW, my 2 trips last year before my renewal were both thru the non-UK lines - the first was the initial interview and the second was with my (American) housemate who had been turned back in the past due to saying the wrong thing and now had a UK Visa - I went through the non-UK line to give her moral support and flash my registered traveler card at the Border Agent in case it helped.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:54 pm

Thanks dylanks and stc I think we decided not to bother with the RTS for now, just because I'll almost certainly be with her when she is travelling as we'll be heading to the UK together to visit friends and family - in those instances, she can come through the EU line with me. I don't see there being much value for our purpose/scenario right now. If we decide to move over to the UK then we might change our minds so she can pop home more easily and independently.

Hopefully those that have RTS are finding it a good use of money

Thank you for all of your insight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.