Reload this Page >

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BotB
The Registered Traveller Scheme is intended to allow easier entry for regular visitors to the UK.

The scheme is available for regular travelers to the UK who have a passport issued by

Africa
Botswana, Namibia, Seychelles.

Asia
Brunei, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region passports only), Japan, Macao Special Administrative Region, Malaysia, Maldives, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan (if your passport has a personal ID number on the photo page)

Europe
Andorra, Monaco, Vatican City State.

Middle East
Israel.

North America
Bahamas, Canada, Mexico, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, USA.

Oceania
Australia, Nauru, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga.

South and Central America
Argentina, Belize, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay.

* Visited the UK 4 times in the previous 24 months as a Business visitor, General visitor, Member of a diplomatic mission, Academic visitor, Entertainment or sports visitor, In transit - passing through the UK, Parent of a child in a UK school or Medical visitor. This generally includes tourists.

* Hold a valid visa in the categories Tiers 1, 2, 4 or 5 (excluding Creative/Sporting concession), Indefinite Leave to Remain, Naturalisation, UK Ancestry, Family member or spouse/partner. Note that EEA family permits, discretionary leave and leave outside the rules are excluded.

The application cost is £70 of which £50 is refunded if the application is rejected. Renewal costs £50 each year and changes of document details cost £20.

Registered Travellers are able to use the faster entry lanes (generally EU lines) when going through the UK Border at Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, East Midlands, Edinburgh, Gatwick (special registered traveller line), Glasgow, Heathrow, London City, Luton, Manchester, Southend and Stansted airports (or, alternatively, the ePassport gates if they have a biometric passport; while the ePassport gates at LHR T3 & T4 are being renovated the FastTrak lines can be used or the EU lines can be used). You will not have to fill in a landing card. (you do still need to carry your visa or BRP (biometric residence permit))

In addition, Registered Travellers are able to go through the UK Border at the Brussels, Lille and Paris Eurostar terminals without having to fill in a landing card.

Registered Travellers who hold a UK visa will not have their fingerprints checked at the UK Border.

Registration link: https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller
Some extra information from Gatwick Airport is here.
Older terms and conditions of the initial trial are recorded in post 78.
Print Wikipost

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Arsey00
And/or, why not make it valid for a longer period of time?
Because this way they can rake in more ££s more often.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:03 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am arriving at LHR on April 7, the last day of the pilot program. After a few emails, they assured me that as long as I do not apply to the regular program before April 7, I can use my pilot program membership to enter through the e-gates on that day.

Then today I get the email that says that beginning April 8, I will have to pay an extra 20 quid to apply.

Sigh.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: BA
I read it as £70 the first year, and £50 each year you renew. Either way, it's over triple the cost of US Global Entry. There's no good reason to make people renew every year or pay £20 simply to update their passport data.

I'll still pay for it since it saves a ton of time arriving in the UK. But it makes you wonder how the US can do it for just $100 every 5 years, and that includes an in-person interview and RFID card. I agree that the UK seems to view this as a revenue generator rather than just recovering the costs of the scheme.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
How much is your time worth to you? No-brainer for me, will gladly pay 50GBP yearly.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I am arriving at LHR on April 7, the last day of the pilot program. After a few emails, they assured me that as long as I do not apply to the regular program before April 7, I can use my pilot program membership to enter through the e-gates on that day.

Then today I get the email that says that beginning April 8, I will have to pay an extra 20 quid to apply.
My wife had been on the pilot scheme. She registered online for the paid scheme, paid her £50 and received confirmation within 48 hours. All very smooth in contrast to the hoops through which she had to jump when applying initially.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:06 pm

What if the regular lines are shorter during a time ? Do u get a refund?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cdn1
What if the regular lines are shorter during a time ? Do u get a refund?
Actually you might be better of applying for a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Creative and sporting) visa—just put "comedian" down on under the employment section.

[There are no refunds

In all seriousness, if the non-EEA line is shorter you can still use it. However the electronic passport line will be faster even if it is longer.]
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
How much is your time worth to you? No-brainer for me, will gladly pay 50GBP yearly.
How much time is lost compared to when you have fast track?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Depends on the length of the Fast Track queue. I've been behind 20+ people at times. My EU friends sail through.

And of course, Fast Track isn't always open.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
You really never know in advance. Many times I've seen the fast track as the better choice. It's good that we now have a choice. You can survey the queues and decide which one is best.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It's hard to know sometimes.

Fast track at LHR T5 passport control took me nearly 20 minutes a few weeks ago, and there were two stations staffed for it and only 3 people in the line in front of me when I got there, They seemed to be spending 2-8 minutes per person on that slow evening and coming up with excuses to slow the processing. While the line available for Registered Travelers was moving very fast it was also very long. In the end, I made a mistake by choosing the almost empty line rather than using the RT scheme.

By the way, thanks again for getting me into the program, stimpy. I've since picked up a bunch more codes -- for what else am I to do when hanging out in that very slow but very empty Fast Track passport control line.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:32 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Full Score
My wife had been on the pilot scheme. She registered online for the paid scheme, paid her £50 and received confirmation within 48 hours. All very smooth in contrast to the hoops through which she had to jump when applying initially.
I wrote them to ask the question I posted above and they responded with the following:

When you renew your membership for Registered Traveller Service, you will have to under go another credibility interview at the Border. You may wish to consider this for when you wish to renew your membership.
I am not exactly sure how this is responsive to my question, however!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
"Fast Track" has been anything but several times, especially at T5.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:53 pm

The new categories were opened up around 10am (GMT+1) on the 8th April. (website was down for maintenance from around 9.30am). I've now applied, and hopefully will have good news soon.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 2:29 pm

Have been given preliminary approval. Impressed that their turnaround continues to be around 2 days.

And, all sorted. Quick and painless process overall.

Last edited by Aus_Mal; Apr 19, 2015 at 6:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.