Reload this Page >

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BotB
The Registered Traveller Scheme is intended to allow easier entry for regular visitors to the UK.

The scheme is available for regular travelers to the UK who have a passport issued by

Africa
Botswana, Namibia, Seychelles.

Asia
Brunei, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region passports only), Japan, Macao Special Administrative Region, Malaysia, Maldives, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan (if your passport has a personal ID number on the photo page)

Europe
Andorra, Monaco, Vatican City State.

Middle East
Israel.

North America
Bahamas, Canada, Mexico, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, USA.

Oceania
Australia, Nauru, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga.

South and Central America
Argentina, Belize, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay.

* Visited the UK 4 times in the previous 24 months as a Business visitor, General visitor, Member of a diplomatic mission, Academic visitor, Entertainment or sports visitor, In transit - passing through the UK, Parent of a child in a UK school or Medical visitor. This generally includes tourists.

* Hold a valid visa in the categories Tiers 1, 2, 4 or 5 (excluding Creative/Sporting concession), Indefinite Leave to Remain, Naturalisation, UK Ancestry, Family member or spouse/partner. Note that EEA family permits, discretionary leave and leave outside the rules are excluded.

The application cost is £70 of which £50 is refunded if the application is rejected. Renewal costs £50 each year and changes of document details cost £20.

Registered Travellers are able to use the faster entry lanes (generally EU lines) when going through the UK Border at Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, East Midlands, Edinburgh, Gatwick (special registered traveller line), Glasgow, Heathrow, London City, Luton, Manchester, Southend and Stansted airports (or, alternatively, the ePassport gates if they have a biometric passport; while the ePassport gates at LHR T3 & T4 are being renovated the FastTrak lines can be used or the EU lines can be used). You will not have to fill in a landing card. (you do still need to carry your visa or BRP (biometric residence permit))

In addition, Registered Travellers are able to go through the UK Border at the Brussels, Lille and Paris Eurostar terminals without having to fill in a landing card.

Registered Travellers who hold a UK visa will not have their fingerprints checked at the UK Border.

Registration link: https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller
Some extra information from Gatwick Airport is here.
Older terms and conditions of the initial trial are recorded in post 78.
Print Wikipost

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by FrancisA
If you visit the UKBA site it says this:

Alternatives to IRIS

Alternatives are available to IRIS users who:
- possess an EEA or UK biometric passport, via self service e-passport gates located at all terminals where IRIS was used;
- are non EU Travellers and eligible to use the registered traveller scheme.

Thus the UKBA are absolutely clear that the Registered Travellers Scheme is only applicable to non-EU travellers
Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion!

The wording makes clear that some, but not all non-EU travellers are eligible to use the Registered Travellers Scheme. (And presumably they mean non-(EU & EEA & Switzerland)!!)

This text does not enable you to draw any conclusions whatsoever about the eligibility of any EU traveller to use the scheme.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
I literally cannot wait for this to launch!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
I literally cannot wait for this to launch!
I bet you 'literally' can … especially as you have no option!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by T8191
I bet you 'literally' can … especially as you have no option!
I'm fidgeting at my desk in anticipation!!!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
With hat tips to Microwave and rwoman, I think this had better have its own thread since after several weeks of interesting announcements, this is perhaps the most significant.

Current text of the UK Border Agency website:

Registered traveller scheme
The registered traveller scheme launches 24 September 2013 and will improve the way regular visitors can pass through the UK border. It will initially be available at Heathrow and Gatwick airports.

Passengers can apply for the scheme if they:
  • previously registered to use IRIS;
  • are from the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia or New Zealand;
  • have completed at least 4 trips to the UK in the last 52 weeks; or
  • are a short term visitor to the UK aged over 18.
Eligible travellers will be able to apply and register online. More information will be available from 24 September on this webpage.

Current URL is:
Registered Traveller Scheme

And many thanks for the budget cuts in the USA, which indirectly pushed this scheme on to the civil service fast track!
The or seems to be an and.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/cu...euk/usingiris/

• have completed at least 4 trips to the UK in the last 52 weeks; and
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
As an ex-pat GE holder, I thank all the Brit tax payers for this scheme effectively allowing GE to come into my grubby mitts. Luckily i am not concerned about the UK as i never 'get off' in London from an international flight, i think only once to watch Iron Maiden at the O2 last year, and due to being massively hung over from far too much bubbles on the plane, I cannot remember LHR at all. Is it really that much hassle for Brits to enter the UK (London that is) at LHR? No matter how rammed T5 seems to be, i have never taken more than a minute to get through (but that is connections and a very different and just as confusing story).
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HilFly
The or seems to be an and.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/cu...euk/usingiris/

• have completed at least 4 trips to the UK in the last 52 weeks; and
That does seem to be definitive ... Must meet all 4 criteria.

Where did CWS get his "or" from?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
IRIS was brilliant (when it worked). Since then there have been nothing but boards and cones out while they build something else at Gatwick which seems to work even less.

Big thumbs down for removing IRIS, they should have just removed the idiots that couldn't line their eyes up with the targets instead, or made it a 2-go thing and then had a side door where they were booted out and sent to the back of the regular queue for being stupid and making everyone else wait.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: QFF P1 LTG, lots of others
I wonder if this will apply to the non EU PP holders mentioned that have a work permit in the UK?

If it's just fast track access then would only make a huge difference to those non BA silver/gold ppl who dont travel business class - which I'd imagine isnt a huge number.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

I cut and pasted it, so someone has updated it since this afternoon. Here's another copy and here's another. Now this must be wrong, since it defeats the original purpose of Trusted Traveller as well as the Global Entry deal. So my very strong suspicion is that it should be:

- previously registered to use IRIS; or
- are from the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia or New Zealand; or
- have completed at least 4 trips to the UK in the last 52 weeks; and
- are a short term visitor to the UK aged over 18.

Someone looked at it and read it to meaning that all short term visitors can have it, hence the rapid correction.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
It makes no sense to have it only open to people who previously had IRIS. There has to be some way to enroll. Unfortunately we can't conjure conjunctions at this conjecture.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus

I can confirm that it did say "or" earlier today. It changed.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: ABBA
My interpretation of the semi colons and final Or statement means that it's either / or all the way down. That's usually how it works, at least. I understand that UK citizens cannot use this, since they have access to e-passports (which is fast everywhere but T5, but apparently some more gates are on their way).
Really. Has anyone timed it at a non-heathrow location? Even assuming it works, I'd be very interested if it's faster than a normal person.

If you have 6 border guards, you can run either 6 manual desks or 9 e-passport desks. The e-passport machines are slower, but as long as they aren't more than 50% slower overall it should be ok.

Of course, no queue jumping for premium EU passengers, just johnny foreigner.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apologies for any offence to c-w-s … it had me really quite confused!

Congratulations to The Border Agency, Home Office and/or any other culpable suits who seem incapable of communicating effectively.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
I cut and pasted it, so someone has updated it since this afternoon. Here's another copy and here's another. Now this must be wrong, since it defeats the original purpose of Trusted Traveller as well as the Global Entry deal. So my very strong suspicion is that it should be:

- previously registered to use IRIS; or
- are from the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia or New Zealand; or
- have completed at least 4 trips to the UK in the last 52 weeks; and
- are a short term visitor to the UK aged over 18.

Someone looked at it and read it to meaning that all short term visitors can have it, hence the rapid correction.
I don't doubt the rapid correction - probably caused by FT'ers overloading some system, somewhere, with their enquiries!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.