Wiki Posts
Search

which car transfer service do you recommend in LHR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Question which car transfer service do you recommend in LHR

Have used a variety but never been 100% satisfied. Some have been worst than others...

Would you all recommend Addison Lee? Seems to be one of the most popular amongst business travellers...

PM or post here appreciated.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Recommendations from the BA board (in no particular order)

Addison Lee (good but expensive apparently - the phrase I heard attached to them by a UK poster was "you'll never get fired for buying IBM") They do seem to have the best reputation.
http://www.thechauffeurgroup.com/
Simply Airports
http://www.247airporttransfer

Depending upon your circumstances, the best option might be the tube. Of course it depends upon the time of day and where you are going in London and how much luggage you have; but there can be many times that the tube is the fastest way into central London, and certainly the cheapest.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Depending upon your circumstances, the best option might be the tube. Of course it depends upon the time of day and where you are going in London and how much luggage you have; but there can be many times that the tube is the fastest way into central London, and certainly the cheapest.
Heathrow Express to Paddington -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathrow_Express

...First class if you are so inclined, then Taxi or Tube from Paddington to your destination.

(Or Heathrow Connect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathrow_Connect if you want to connect at a different station.)
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Problem is that there's three of us, so the train starts being not economical. And we're going to Liverpool St. station (Andaz) which doesn't have direct service to Heathrow...
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I used Boston Coach for a recent journey from LHR to Cambridge. Their basic sedan turned out to be a Mercedes. It was extremely expensive, but very comfortable. I'm a bit irritated that their web site doesn't provide a receipt for a full month after the trip for overseas bookings, so beware.

A few days later for a journey from a London hotel to LHR I used a minicab service recommended by a friend: http://www.fairwaykenwood.co.uk/ A ride that in the past has cost me around a hundred pounds in a black cab was only 34 pounds with this minicab service. Yes, 34 pounds to get from downtown London to LHR. I booked their basic "saloon" car which was a Mercedes in my case.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I've never seen the appeal of the HEX myself, but then I never go anywhere near Paddington. Safe bet looks like Addison Lee for you.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

So it seems like I'll use Addison Lee for the outbound as you don't get charged for parking and then the Fairway Kenwood guys look like an excellent deal on the return.

Thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
http://www.windsorcars.com/ they are great used them several times they were introduced to me by the Hilton T5
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, HH, IHG
To you LHR experts - can i get a fam of 4 with luggage from LHR to downtown London for under 100 pounds!? Flying coach over the pond so family will put daddy in doghouse if i propose the tube! Any advice appreciated
Old Mar 21, 2014, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Addison Lee have MPVs as the standard vehicle, so you should be able to sort that for under £100.

Otherwise, depending on the age of your kids (and how much luggage you have), you may be better off getting the Heathrow Express to Paddington and just taking a black cab from there.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 4:01 am

HEX with 4 people would be at least £63 one way, £102 return on the HEX - plus the cost of taxi to wherever. Car service would be cheaper than that - plus if people reach Paddington before 9:30am on weekdays they'll be competing with tens of thousands of commuters for taxis / buses / Tube
Old Mar 22, 2014, 12:19 pm

Ray Skinner used to be quite popular. Does anyone know whether he is still around?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanR
HEX with 4 people would be at least £63 one way, £102 return on the HEX - plus the cost of taxi to wherever. Car service would be cheaper than that - plus if people reach Paddington before 9:30am on weekdays they'll be competing with tens of thousands of commuters for taxis / buses / Tube
Do note that there's an offer code at the minute - KIDSFREE12 - which allows 2 kids under 15 per adult to travel free. That makes the round trip for a party of 4 come in at £68.

Point above remains valid re: taxis in the rush hour, but you could always book Addison Lee to collect you at Paddington & take you to your final destination, or download the taxi app Hailo onto your smartphone?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, HH, IHG
which car transfer service do you recommend in LHR

Thank you guys! Kids are 12 & 15 so HEX plus taxi may work ok since we get in round 12p. Heading to Paris via Eurostar afterwards so would be OW. Hotel is next to London Eye so probably end up roughly the same amount if Addison Lee -Thanks again
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, can't remember the one way price, but I think it's more than half. Plug that code into the hex website and it tells you.

I suspect you need to buy in advance too.

At midday I'd just get a cab from the rank at Paddington. Will be easier than trying to find the driver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.