Wiki Posts
Search

Adult Passport trouble

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Adult Passport trouble

Hey,

I'm trying to get an Adult Passport. I use to be down on my mothers old passport (Never had my own)
However since then my Mum has gotten divorced and changed her name by Dpol from Jackson to Holmes.

Apparently I need, divorce papers, DPol papers for my mum and her old passport number (She's never had a passport since and this was 15ish years ago.

My mum got divorced about 12 years ago and the solicitors she used has shut down since and the registry place said they can't get documents over 10 years old.

Am I screwed?

What are my options?
Lie and say my parents never had a passport?
Or try to some how??? Get my parents old Passport numbers and my mums DPol paper? However divorce papers are 100% out of the question.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Welcome to FlyerTalk. I assume you are talking with reference to a British passport? (Not Irish - this is the UK and also Ireland section). I also assume you are currently in the UK.

As you have not had your own passport before, merely been included upon hers, then your application is essentially the same as an adult looking to get their first passport.
See page 2 here, under the section "First British Passport":
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload.../dg_184487.pdf
(This assumes you were on your mothers passport, then you did NOT have a Childs Passport - which is something else).

Therefore, this page lists the documents you require:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult...ur-application

To summarise that:
- Assuming you were born in the UK,
- Assuming your parents were British:

Born before 1 January 1983:
- You must send your birth certificate.

Born on or after 1 January 1983:
- your birth certificiate AND your mother’s UK birth certificate
OR
- your birth certificiate AND your father's UK birth certificate AND your parents’ marriage certificate

If you do not have birth certificates and/or marriage certificates, you can order them:
https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-...fore-you-start

While the passport office makes clear they will not accept 'certified copies' or photocopies, the 'copy' you can order from the government should be considered the same as an original.
You want to obtain a 'FULL' copy, not the short one.

Last edited by David-A; Jul 23, 2013 at 2:28 pm
Old Jul 23, 2013, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Hey thanks for the info.
When I went to my post office they said I needed my parents passport numbers which I can't get as they no longer have them. Haven't been outside the UK in around 15 years.
Do I not need them?

Also she mentioned I needed my mothers DPol name change documents, is this also not the case?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:22 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by KOLuke
When I went to my post office they said I needed my parents passport numbers which I can't get as they no longer have them. Haven't been outside the UK in around 15 years. Do I not need them?
Have another look at the gov.uk resource that David-A pointed you at. For On or after 1 January 1983. One of the options is your mother's passport number, but that's not the only one. You'll most likely want to go through that page carefully, and the official application form it links to, and compare that to what documents you can and can't easily get hold of!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Have another look at the gov.uk resource that David-A pointed you at. For On or after 1 January 1983. One of the options is your mother's passport number, but that's not the only one. You'll most likely want to go through that page carefully, and the official application form it links to, and compare that to what documents you can and can't easily get hold of!
Gone through it a few times now and looked through the application form.
I still have an unanswered question, sadly.

The lady at the post office said because my mums name is different to the one on her birth certificate ill need to provide the DPol paper proving this but the website doesn't go over this...
Does it matter if her last name has changed or must I get the Dpol paper?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Post office people don't know everything nor do FT members. Contact the passport issuing people and ask them. Best of luck with it anyway
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I would not worry too much about what the lady from the post office says at this stage, the advice given above by David-A and the web links show what you actually need to do if you were born in the UK, just answer one question:

Q1. were you born before 1 Jan 83?

If yes, just send your own birth certificate.
If no, you send your own and your mothers UK birth certificates.

Thats it.

You dont need to do anything about the fact that she has a different name now, they dont require it. You dont have to send all the items in the list - just one of them. If you can get your mothers passport number, that is one of the acceptable alternatives.

Last edited by antichef; Jul 25, 2013 at 10:32 am
Old Jul 25, 2013, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by KOLuke
Gone through it a few times now and looked through the application form.
I still have an unanswered question, sadly.

The lady at the post office said because my mums name is different to the one on her birth certificate ill need to provide the DPol paper proving this but the website doesn't go over this...
Does it matter if her last name has changed or must I get the Dpol paper?
You do not need them.

Her name now is irrelevant. Your entitlement comes from her at your birth. What happens subsequent is irrelevant.

Also, to repeat my self for clarity: You have NOT had a previous passport. You were simply included on your mothers, this is very different from a Childs Passport.

Because you have not had your own passport before, your application is the same as anyone else who has never had a passport.

Your mothers birth certificate, if you have that, is enough.

Other documents could be acceptable instead. I went for the simplest version, and documents which you should be able to obtain for a modest fee if you don't have them.

Again, if requesting copies, make sure they are the FULL version of birth certificates, NOT the short versions.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by exilencfc
Post office people don't know everything nor do FT members. Contact the passport issuing people and ask them. Best of luck with it anyway
There is NOTHING wrong with the guidance given in this thread.

Your post could suggest what has been said here is not correct.

What has been posted here is taken directly from the passport office guidance, which is authoritative.

With regard to the Post Office:
- They are indeed not authoritative.
- I would certainly not expect their counter staff to be good at this in anything but the most simple of cases. Their 'check and send' service is probably at its best for making sure people have put all the required info in the correct boxes, and their photos are compliant with requirements (but the requirements are very clear).

Personally, if you don't need the check and send service, I would not use it.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Go to a different post office or submit your application by ordinary post.

P.S. it's "deed poll", not DPol
Old Mar 19, 2017, 7:26 pm

Unhappy Help mum will not help me get a passport

i trying to get my passport done ,.. i got it all together however,. my mum .. will not show me her birth certificate of proof of her full name and birth and proof of her mum and dad ,.... my grand ma and grandpa,..

iam 26 years of age and want to travel to teh Sates ,.. however she will not support me on my travels ,.. i try asked her and pleased and she will not ,,.. '

is there anyway i can somehow by pass on getting my mothers full name and birth and grand parents info other ways in teh UK???

PLEASE HELP ME ,...
Old Mar 19, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Gabriella

Birth, death and marriage certificates are public records. As David A suggested up-thread, anyone can request an official copy of a full certificate from this link (England and Wales) or links within (Scotland, Northern Ireland): https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-...fore-you-start

Good luck.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by konagirl2
Gabriella

Birth, death and marriage certificates are public records. As David A suggested up-thread, anyone can request an official copy of a full certificate from this link (England and Wales) or links within (Scotland, Northern Ireland): https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-...fore-you-start

Good luck.
But you need to know the actual name(s) and/or some other details of the person/persons whose info you are requesting in order to make the search easier and useful. If the claimed parent isn't listed under the details provided/available to a child, then it can be a more complicated matter.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Gabriella,

Welcome to FT. ^

There could be a number of reasons why your mother might be reluctant. For example, her birth certificate might reveal to you something that she wishes to hide - for her own reasons.

When I first started a genealogy search I found my mother suffered a remarkable level of amnesia! However with more effort I was able to find the birth and marriage certificates through the public records agencies shown above. It transpired that her mother, my grandmother, was illegitimate and born in the workhouse. Granny was also pregnant when she married Granddad, and the actual date of birth of her eldest sister, my aunt, was "postponed" for a year so that it did not ruffle any feathers for family/religious etc reasons.

So you can ask for your mothers birth cert as a public record without her permission. But if you find that the name or birth date or fathers name etc you have been given don't match up with a certificate then bear in mind my comments above

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.