Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Hotel at Heathrow??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Best Hotel at Heathrow??

I know there is no real luxury hotel but we'll be flying from IST to LHR staying over and flying LHR to MIA the next afternoon. Since we don't get in until 5 p.m. and fly out around 3 p.m. we thought we'd just stay at the airport. Anything decent with a fairly good restaurant? I see that the Hilton Terminal 5 has Mr. Todiwala's Kitchen which sounds good.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 9:52 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread in the UK Forum where there is much discussion about LHR.
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old Mar 3, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Stay in the Yotel and eat at any restaurant...?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
You really want to spend 24 hours in and around LHR?
You could also try doing a search, Google or otherwise.
"LHR hotel" generates multiple threads in this forum, including this one http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...endations.html with other links embedded in it.
Also "London layover" generates this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...ay-london.html among many others. The linked thread has multiple others embedded in it.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Mar 3, 2013 at 11:06 am Reason: added layover thread link
Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Linda VH
I know there is no real luxury hotel...
Erm, well there's the Sofitel that's connected directly to T5 and with some rooms running at over £1000 a night I suspect it's a step above your average holiday inn...
Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:19 am

Okay, I'll be the first to say it - take the Heathrow Express to Paddington, stay in the hotel of your choice and spend a night on the town.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 1:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lancebanyon
Okay, I'll be the first to say it - take the Heathrow Express to Paddington, stay in the hotel of your choice and spend a night on the town.
If you really do want "luxury" and money isn't an issue then that has to be the best answer. Take your pick of the 5* hotels and restaurants in town.

At the airport, the Sofitel T5 is very good. Personally, I really like the Crowne Plaza, especially if you can get a Club level room.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
The Heathrow express will have you in central LONDON in 20 mins.
In theory,you could stay at the very very good sofitel T5 and go out in London that evening.
That's what I'd advise and it means no faffing about with luggage into and out of town.
So dinner in Covent garden somewhere,a few drinks locally,the Piccadilly line or the Hex back to T5 and a night cap in the sofitel friendly bar.
Wake up next morning a short stroll from bag drop enabling a nice lingering breakfast.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Staying at LHR when you have 20 hours for London is like staying at JFK when you have 20 hours for New York City: a complete and total waste of some of the best that the world has to offer.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Jfk doesn't have a 30 min non stop express train in the airport to midtown Manhattan though iirc
Not a like for like comparison.

The Op would see or enjoy little of their central London expensive hotel except the bed and shower after a decent night out and lug all the luggage in and out aswell?

Doing a central London hotel at the price of them,deserves more than that in my humble opinion.
That's why,I'd stay in the Sofitel and take the Hex into town for the night out.
No hotel in JFK could hold a candle to it luxury wise.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: Miles&More, Hemköp kundkort
Agree completely with previous posters, don't waste your time at LHR.
However, with your timings I would get a room in central London. If you arrive at 5pm and use the HEX and a short cab ride you can be at your hotel at 6.30 or 7.00. Enjoy a great night in London, sleep late the next morning and you'll still have plenty of time to get back to LHR in time for your flight.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:10 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I had an excellent (and cheap) stay at the Premier Inn, Terminal 5 recently. Review is here - £39 pre-paid rate.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks all - flight has now been changed to fly out at noon so we'll definitely do an airport hotel. There is an Indian restaurant in the Hilton called Mr. Todiwala's Kitchen that looks good.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Are you flying into and out of T5? If so, I'd join in the recommendation for the Sofitel.
Last time I looked, the Hilton was in T4, and while it's certainly a shorter trip to get there from T5 than to go into town, I'd still join in the recommendation for a tube ride (or Hex and cab if you want to spend the money) to any of London's great restaurants.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I stayed at the Hilton T5 for a work conference. Very clean and modern rooms. You can pamper yourself at their spa if you fancy it.

Didn't try the resturant as everything was catered for us - Lunch, Dinner then Breakfast and all was good.

There is a shuttle bus that takes you from T5 to there - just make sure you board the right one back and not the one that goes to the other terminals. Buy your return at the same time to save £1 and hassle. If you take a taxi, make sure you ask what the cost will be as some people reported that as its outside the London Taxi area, they can charge what they want. It's less than 10 mins away and one person said they were charged £50!

If you can get a room facing Windsor, you can see the castle and also the planes on their approach into Heathrow, depending on runway useage and prevailing winds!

There is a local pub at the end of the road if you fancy escaping the confines of the hotel. Haven't tried it - why would we when work was supplying the drink!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.