Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cover charge at restaurants in London?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2012, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Cover charge at restaurants in London?

I've been researching restaurants for an upcoming trip to London and am finding that many of them charge a "cover charge" of around £2.50 pp. on top of 20% VAT and "discretionary" 12.5% service charge. I, sort of, understand cover charges at bars etc. but at a restaurant, where we're buying drinks, appetizers, main courses, dessert and a bottle of wine, I don't understand. Can anyone shed some light on this practice? Many thanks.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...1114025AAI8YKx
Old Oct 28, 2012, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Palau, thank you for the link. So, the "cover charge" is going towards overhead? Really? I disagree with it on principle as it's being charged at restaurants where our tab would be in excess of £200 - £300 - for two of us. When paying that much (times 1 1/2 considering the exchange rate) I don't want to be "dinged" for a silly cover charge. Is there any way out of it?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
They charge these fees for the same reason that dogs lick themselves. Sorry to be so blunt, but the only way to not pay them is to not patronize these restaurants. As long as the tables are full, and people pay the sucker charges, they will charge them. I wouldn't want to be playing "let's make a deal" over a £5 charge on a £300 meal. It is really insulting because if they'd simply add another 50p for each menu item, it would all be about the same, but it wouldn't be an issue.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:20 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If you don't want to pay a cover charge, the only way is to not eat in places that charge it.

That's not going to be easy in some parts of the world since it's fairly common (though goes by many different names)
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:16 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Sunny 1
I've been researching restaurants for an upcoming trip to London ....
Since London is your destination, I'll move to the appropriate destination forum.

cblaisd
Moderator, Dining Buzz
Old Oct 29, 2012, 2:35 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
First of all, remember that VAT will be included in the prices - this is a legal requirement for all pricing in the UK, unless it is specifically aimed at a B2B market.

(There are several non-UK hotel sites that quote rates without VAT, but this is down to country selection. When you're in the UK, you can safely assume that all prices include VAT unless specifically stated otherwise).

In my own experience, cover charge is by far the exception, rather than the rule. That said, I don't generally eat at restaurants in the price range quoted above. 12.5% "optional service charge" is more commonly added for groups over 6 than across the board, but it's becoming more prevalent in London these days (less so in the rest of the country). Cheeky, really, as a standard restaurant tip is around 10%. Naturally, you are perfectly entitled to ask for it to be removed, but few do (hence its popularity among restaurateurs!)
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by stut
12.5% "optional service charge" is more commonly added for groups over 6 than across the board, but it's becoming more prevalent in London these days (less so in the rest of the country).
I think every place we ate in London the last week - Roka/Cantina Laredo/Spice Market/The Fellow, plus all the smaller places and even breakfast spots and our hotel bar - all added 12.5%. Seemingly the standard for everything.

PS - just checked my receipt for Roka and they actually upped it to 13.5%. I stand corrected.

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Oct 29, 2012 at 3:46 am
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I just get frustrated when being "nickeled and dimed" ("penced"?) when already spending a premium. I wouldn't ask for the charge to be removed, I just don't understand why it's there. What started this practice? I'm used to seeing cover charges charged when one gets something additional at the venue, a band playing for example. Eastbay1K makes a good point that the restauranteur could just increase prices.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:28 am

Any cover charge in a restaurant has to be given on the menu, and the purpose of it has to be declared if requested.

Cover charges had largely disappeared from the general restaurant scene in the UK and were kept on life support by such venerable and escapable restaurants as the Aberdeen Steak House. Sadly they have made a bit of a comeback recently, sometimes to cover what appears to be free water and bread and elsewhere for no real good reason at all apart from shaving fractions of the item prices.

Tell 'em to deduct them from the service charge, and they might go away.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
What you really want to watch out for is restaurants that charge you the 'discretionary service' then still leave the credit card slip open for tips. Just ignore the 20% VAT issue though - as noted above, all prices will include this anyway.

Must admit I can't recall the last time I was hit with a 'cover charge' in London and I eat out often enough in a range of places...
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

I saw the cover charge stated on "Green's" website link to their menu. Regarding the "discretionary service charge"... Do we just draw a line through the "tip line" on the credit card receipt?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Sunny 1
I saw the cover charge stated on "Green's" website link to their menu. Regarding the "discretionary service charge"... Do we just draw a line through the "tip line" on the credit card receipt?
Yes, or ust leave it blank - either way, fill in the total at the bottom as it stands without any extra tip. (I must say that I object strenuously to the practice of including a "service charge" in the cost (discretionary or otherwise), and even more so when the "tip line" is left blank as well!)
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: HHonnors Diamond, AA Gold, UA Silver
I don't recall a cover charge at any London restaurant, however we didn't eat at any of the high end spots in London (Paris was also on that itinerary, we saved the high end restaurants for Paris).
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Christopher
Yes, or ust leave it blank - either way, fill in the total at the bottom as it stands without any extra tip. (I must say that I object strenuously to the practice of including a "service charge" in the cost (discretionary or otherwise), and even more so when the "tip line" is left blank as well!)
Thank you, and I totally agree with you about establishments automatically adding a service charge. Let us be the judge of that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.