Car rental options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car rental options

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2012, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
Car rental options

We're hoping to rent a car out of London Sep 14 dropping off on the 22nd in time for our flight from Heathrow. We'll be driving around Wales and Scotland.

The prices we've found seem pretty high. Can anyone offer some ideas on how to keep the costs down to a dull roar?

Even a one way might work if there's a need for relocating vehicles, i.e. take a train to Edinburgh and pick up a car to be returned in London, etc.

I'm wondering if someplace outside London with easy access to Heathrow would be a better bet to rent a car? We're two adults with luggage.

Certainly open to ideas, and would be very grateful for any suggestions.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:28 am

Some thoughts.
- Driving from London to Scotland wipes out a day either end of your trip. And it's not a relaxing or enjoyable drive. Renting in London for a tour of Scotland is not going to make for a relaxing holiday, so fly or train to Scotland (though you've left it late to get good deals on internal flights)
- Trying to tour Wales and Scotland in one week is unrealistic. All you'll see is the inside of the rental car. Prioritise what you really want to see.
- For the best rental deals just keep trying every option you can. Sometimes deals with airlines offer better rates - I can never understand the logic of the pricing structures of the rental companies
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BA EC Silver, Hertz Presidents Circle
I would second the comments above.

It might worth trying:

www.carrentals.co.uk
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:40 am

Always use quidco.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
Thanks for the feedback folks, we're looking at those things.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:00 am

I would recommend renting the car in Scotland. Do you already have a tentative itinerary of what you will be seeing and doing...or your wish list for Scotland and Wales?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC
Agree driving to Scotland is not fun. A good way to get to Scotland is the sleeper train service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.