Reload this Page >

Your 3 Favourite London Pubs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your 3 Favourite London Pubs

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2013, 9:14 am

Going to add the Marquess of Anglesey in Covent Garden to this list. Recently I had a great sandwich there; service was great, good ambience. On a side note at the next table were six apparent musicians (looked to be in their early 60's) reminiscing. I was trying to eavesdrop to get a clue who they were, but couldn't piece it together. They had some affiliation with Stephen Stills back in the day. Oh well, it'll remain a mystery.
Old May 23, 2013, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by exilencfc
Bricklayers near Fulham football ground. They don't do food but they're serious about the beer
It's in Putney, not Fulham!
Old May 23, 2013, 4:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Disco Volante
It's in Putney, not Fulham!
In fairness he didn't say it was in Fulham, just that it's near Fulham FC and it is very popular with fans of that club when games are on.

I've heard varying reports.
Old May 24, 2013, 4:04 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Yes I delibirately didn't say 'in Fulham' because, being on the other side of the river, I suspected it wasn't.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Wine & ale

How about a good pub for plonk (wife loves Rumpole of the Bailey on PBS) and ale (me) in the Mayfair/Westminster area?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by philemer
How about a good pub for plonk (wife loves Rumpole of the Bailey on PBS) and ale (me) in the Mayfair/Westminster area?
Decent wine and decent beer are no always compatible in many London pubs.
And I'm not sure if you'e doing the whole tourist thing but The Westminster Arms in Storeys Gate is not a bad option.
They serve Shepherd Neame beers and there's a wine bar downstairs for the missus.
It's just across from the Houses of Parliament so you'll find lots of MPs and journalists in there along with plenty of tourists.
They also have an extension of the House of Commons Division Bell, as do other pubs and restarants in the area.
Once rung it allows MPs exactly 8 minutes to get back to the House of Commons to vote.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Showbizguru
Decent wine and decent beer are no always compatible in many London pubs.
And I'm not sure if you'e doing the whole tourist thing but The Westminster Arms in Storeys Gate is not a bad option.
They serve Shepherd Neame beers and there's a wine bar downstairs for the missus.
It's just across from the Houses of Parliament so you'll find lots of MPs and journalists in there along with plenty of tourists.
They also have an extension of the House of Commons Division Bell, as do other pubs and restarants in the area.
Once rung it allows MPs exactly 8 minutes to get back to the House of Commons to vote.
Thanks. That's an interesting story about the Bell.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Interesting thread. The wife and I will be going to London in April. First time for both so I don't know the streets (without a lot of map research) where a lot of the pubs here are mentioned. We'll most likely be staying in the Wesminster area (St Ermins hotel near Scotland Yard and the St James tube stop). Can someone recommend a good pub or two in that area?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BMWMOT
Interesting thread. The wife and I will be going to London in April. First time for both so I don't know the streets (without a lot of map research) where a lot of the pubs here are mentioned. We'll most likely be staying in the Wesminster area (St Ermins hotel near Scotland Yard and the St James tube stop). Can someone recommend a good pub or two in that area?
The Westminster Arms is only a five minute walk from your hotel and is very much in the traditional mould of London pubs.

http://www.shepherdneame.co.uk/pubs/...stminster-arms

Likewwise the Buckingham Arms in Petty France, just around the corner from your hotel. A Youngs pub, with excellent beer and plenty of history.

www.youngs.co.uk/pubs/buckingham-arms

As mentioned previously The Harp in Chandos Place is a great pub. About 20 mins from your hotel walking past Big Ben,Number 10 and Trafalgar Square.

www.harpcoventgarden.com

A great example of the new wave of London pubs is the Cask - specilaises in craft beer and great food.Highly recommended. About a 15 minute walk.

www.caskpubandkitchen.com

Now THAT would make a good pub crawl !
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
A great example of the new wave of London pubs is the Cask - specilaises in craft beer and great food.Highly recommended. About a 15 minute walk.

A friend of mine recommended this place to me. Unfortunately, I never made it there. My regular touring never got me any where near Pimlico and I didn't make the effort to get over there just to visit. Next time, though. It really looks great.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver

Now THAT would make a good pub crawl !
I'll second the recommendation for The Cask. That place is great, both the food and the awesome beer selection. If you like beer it's worth a stop at their sister pubs, The Craft Beer Company. They have a bigger beer selection than The Cask but no food.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Great Info. Thank you.
I plan to make it to as many of these as the wife will allow.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI

I noticed at least one "pub crawl" company on TA plus I found this book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/185...=groasmabus-20

Also Pub Crawl apps for your Iphone/SmartPhones: http://thelondonpubcrawlco.com/londo...ws-mobile-app/

Last edited by philemer; Jan 6, 2014 at 10:14 pm
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by philemer
Barley Mow on Duke Street would get my vote.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:47 am

I walked past a very cool looking pub called "The Banker" near Cannon Street I would have liked to visit recently but it was closed. Maybe mentioned up-thread, too lazy to check. Excellent location

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.