Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Your 3 Favourite London Pubs

Your 3 Favourite London Pubs

Old Apr 5, 2013, 4:54 am

Should I be worried that I have been to a significant majority of the pubs mentioned in this thread?

Does this mean I have impeccable taste when choosing hostelries?
Or does it perhaps suggest I spend far too much time and money in the pub?

Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nobbyclark
Try Homer St, between Crawford St and Old Marylebone Road. Lots of boozers there, some with benches outside.
Thanks....^
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gulliver_UK
Should I be worried that I have been to a significant majority of the pubs mentioned in this thread?

Does this mean I have impeccable taste when choosing hostelries?
Or does it perhaps suggest I spend far too much time and money in the pub?

You can never spend too much time in the pub.
End of.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:09 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by lighting
The Ship in Wandsworth re-opened a week ago after being shut for a major refurb inside and out. Done a great job. The food is very good here but since the refurb the burger has got a lot better. One of the best in London now for sure (bar boulud is the best).

Glad someone else thinks so too;

http://shortlist.com/cool-stuff/shor...ks-best-burger
I think before you declare them to be the best, you'd best make a trip out east to visit The Sebright Arms - fantastic selection of ales from local breweries, plus burgers from Lucky Chip. Proper good messy burgers.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Draft House in Southwark on Tower Bridge Road. Great beer, great staff.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 1:20 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by visualAd
I have not managed to find a thread dedicated to the multitude of great drinking establishments in London. So I am going to create one. Will limit this to 3 of my favourite, favourites otherwise my list will be too long. I am biased towards the city as I work in the area:

- Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese (Fleet Street)
- Old Bank of England (Fleet Street)
- The Hoop and Grapes (Aldgate)
Two of my favourite pubs, as I work a few minutes walk from them
Old Apr 16, 2013, 6:08 pm

Programs: United and Delta.
Wow I'm so happy to have stumbled upon this thread. I'm going to stay with a friend in London this May and we usually just hang out at the Bag O'Nails.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pathompson
Wow I'm so happy to have stumbled upon this thread. I'm going to stay with a friend in London this May and we usually just hang out at the Bag O'Nails.
Or the Bag O'Shite as it's sometimes known.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Showbizguru
Or the Bag O'Shite as it's sometimes known.
The largest pub chain in Glasgow.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:50 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Bricklayers near Fulham football ground. They don't do food but they're serious about the beer
Old Apr 18, 2013, 4:36 am

Programs: U2(ha!), LH, BA, VS, BD(RIP)
Originally Posted by eartus
The Faltering Fullback in the back streets of Stroud Green in Finsbury Park.
^ Glad to hear the place is still going -- I spent far too much time in there in the mid-90s shooting pool.

My favourites:
The Anchor Bankside nice terrace by the river, a good stop off if you're visiting the South Bank (beats the trews off the Founders' Arms IMO)
The Cittie of Yorke on High Holborn near Chancery Lane, surprised nobody's mentioned it
The Duke of Wellington on Crawford St W1 is rather more upmarket but very pleasant
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Originally Posted by pedroQ
^ Glad to hear the place is still going -- I spent far too much time in there in the mid-90s shooting pool.

My favourites:
The Anchor Bankside nice terrace by the river, a good stop off if you're visiting the South Bank (beats the trews off the Founders' Arms IMO)
The Cittie of Yorke on High Holborn near Chancery Lane, surprised nobody's mentioned it
The Duke of Wellington on Crawford St W1 is rather more upmarket but very pleasant
Cittie of York is my place to stop when in the area. Only been a few times but it never seemed to be very crowded.

Cheers
Old Apr 20, 2013, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
There is a pub on High Holborn called the Bung Hole, I have never been in there for a drink but do find the name quite amusing.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by pathompson
Which part of town will you be in? As you'll see from this thread, there are a large number of recommendations, and it would be a shame to travel across town to a pub which is nice enough but not worth a schlep when there might be other good ones nearby.

One thing worth bearing in mind is whether you just want to drink or get a good meal as well. There are a lot of boozers around town which are great for a drink but I wouldn't eat there. Likewise, there are a number of pubs which are best known for their food and are really restaurants in a pub-like setting.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by visualAd
There is a pub on High Holborn called the Bung Hole, I have never been in there for a drink but do find the name quite amusing.
Can recommend it for a contemplative pint. Not in the Top 3, but worth a visit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.