Your 3 Favourite London Pubs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your 3 Favourite London Pubs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: MR Plat, HH Gold
The Grenadier in Belgravia. It is tucked away down a side street (Wilton Row).

Great food and service plus lots of old military memorabilia.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Good thread. ^

* The Harp on Chandos Street. Fabulous beer, a good buzz and pavement to loiter on and watch the world go by. CAMRA regional pub of the year 2011
I'll second that one, and add The Churchill Arms in Notting Hill Gate which is the best looking pub in the summer with all the flowers on the outside and a lovely staff.

And there is another one that I can't remember the name of.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:55 pm

The Blackbird - Earl's Court

The Albert - Victoria

The Gipsy Moth - Greenwich
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:50 am

Sadly my favourite central London pub closed a year or so ago. The Cove in Covent Garden. Ah well, times change.

Some favourites which I hope are still around:

Blue Posts - Soho. Small but friendly atmosphere. Reasonable selection of guest ales if you're into that.

Cork and Bottle - Leicester Sq (don't let that put you off - tourists never find it. It's difficult enough to find even if you know about it). For wine and a step back in time - it's been there since 1972 with the same owner. You'll forget you're in central london. http://thecorkandbottle.co.uk/?page_id=6

The Harp - near Trafalgar Square. Another shout for this but if it's too packed walk 20 yards around the corner and you'll see The Lemon Tree. It too is small, but doesn't get so packed and has good Thai curries.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by visualAd
I have not managed to find a thread dedicated to the multitude of great drinking establishments in London. So I am going to create one. Will limit this to 3 of my favourite, favourites otherwise my list will be too long. I am biased towards the city as I work in the area:

- Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese (Fleet Street)
- Old Bank of England (Fleet Street)
- The Hoop and Grapes (Aldgate)
The first two are some of my favorites as well love the Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese as it's a Sam Smith pub!
Cheers
Howie
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:27 pm

Hard to do just three but;

Atmosphere
The Ship, Wandsworth - Excellent food all year round, great atmosphere and lively and in the summer the outdoor BBQ's and bar is superb.

Food
The Harwood Arms, Fulham - Simply stunning food in a very relaxed environment.

Beer
Southampton Arms, Highgate - Serves beers from small independent UK Brewers only. Some superb stuff.

Mentions must go to;

Beer - White Horse, Parsons Green
Food - The Prince Albert, Battersea
Atmosphere + View - The Gun, Docklands
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I work with a few people who love their real ales (and I've started to aquire the taste if it!) and our team events regularly become pub crawls. I recognise most of the pubs mentioned here and a few stand out as being my personal favourites. The Harp, The Market Porter and the Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese in particular. Be mindful of the lack of headroom when going down the stairs in the latter though, I've given myself a heavy whack on the head going down the stairs a couple of times.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by plon
The Jerusalem Tavern (Clerkenwell) - Great St. Peter's Beers
The Euston Tap (Euston Square) - Tiny Place, but full of great microbrews and nice ales, also has sister pub the Cider Tap across the way
The Three Kings (Clerkenwell) - Good All around boozer.
+1
Old Aug 29, 2012, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lighting
Beer
Southampton Arms, Highgate - Serves beers from small independent UK Brewers only. Some superb stuff.
I think describing the location of the Southampton Arms as Highgate a little generous. Tufnell Park/Kentish Town/Gospel Oak is more like it...but still a superb boozer.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:33 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

The Old Bank of England on Fleet Street is a horrible pub with no redeeming features whatsoever. If you are looking for a unique pub with decent beer go to the Seven Stars in Carey Street nearby. Good food too. Sadly the cat that used to sit on the bar wearing a ruff is no more. The Edgar Wallace and the Deveraux nearby are OK and better than the Bank.

The Thomas Cubitt is pretty ordinary.

The Hawood Arms is excellent but bear in mind this is not ordinary pub grub (it has a Michelin star).

The Ship is great, although it gets busy in the garden in the summer, as does the White Horse. Both serve decent beer, with a large range at the White Horse.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
The Nightingale, Wandsworth: great atmosphere, food and beer. And they serve El Coto Rioja, which is nice. Used to be my local when I lived in London.

The Barley Mow, Duke Street: the only thing that used to get me through a shopping expedition was the prospect of a pint at the end (or in between).

Grouse and Claret, Belgravia: there are so many great pubs hidden away in this part of London, but the Grouse is the best. Used to spend far too many lunchtimes here.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:58 am

The Ship & Whale in Canada Water is a lovely little pub if you happen to find yourself in the area.
Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese is great for the history, even if its only the basement that is the really old bit.
Gordons Wine Bar in Embankment has a great wine selection and some good food.

Honourable mention to The Flying Scotsman in Kings Cross
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:34 am

My favorites are:

The Faltering Fullback in the back streets of Stroud Green in Finsbury Park.
06 St Chad's Place which used to be a Victorian warehouse.
Greenwich Union which offers a relax ambiance, a perfect place for young ale drinker like myself... :-)
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Ye Old Cheshire Cheese
Old Aug 31, 2012, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
[QUOTE=Disco Volante;19215977]
The Old Bank of England on Fleet Street is a horrible pub with no redeeming features whatsoever. /QUOTE]

I had a meeting in here this afternoon. Was perfectly acceptable and whilst it's not going to win any earthiness awards, i'd still be keen to recommend this place to others. It does seem to be developing a bit of a tourist bent, in which case the Counting House on Cornhill might be better, but all told it would seem a stretch to call this place 'horrible'.

Last edited by Swiss Tony; Sep 5, 2012 at 7:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.