Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Is it mad in london?

Is it mad in london?

Old Jul 28, 2012, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Is it mad in london?

For those of us thinking of FLYING BA and visiting is it mad or is it livable?

Can you pick up Tix?....3rd Party

Good areas of London to see....TS or PC maybe

Maybe those living in London can pitch in.....
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by bizorbetter

Things are going pretty much as usual in London, but parts of Central London are closed off because of the Olympics and the tube and road network are busier than normal.

I would think that someone coming to London to see London is probably better off coming after the Olympics when all sites and sights are available again.

If you don't have any tickets, then be prepared to be disappointed and to not get in... Don't buy from touts, you'll pay over the odds and could very well end up forking out a lot of money for fake tickets.

You do get to see things you don't see otherwise though. The other day, I ran into parts of the Russian team (in their rather, well, "special" design of kit) on Piccadilly, then shortly afterwards bumped (literally!) into what looked like Cuban boxers (again in their official gear) just off Park Lane.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Just returned from central London to see the cycling and it is really no worse than any other time in the summer. A few key railway stations are busy, but main streets are fine. Some areas closed because of event venues, but that's about it. A great buzz around the place. Come- you're most welcome!
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Silver
Commuting into London yesterday and travelling around during the day I'd agree no worse than normal. In fact, if you're not at the main Olympics venues it's actually a little quieter since a lot of people are staying away.

Use the underground to get around, rather than taxis, the streets *are* quite a lot more clogged due to the Games lanes.

You don't say what country you're based in, but check with your official distributor, there might be some tickets left for something, especially if you're prepared to pay for one of the more expensive seats.

My view - there's such a buzz in London right now I'd come if you can.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
The true test will be next week during the rush hour peaks.

To give the organisers and Transport for London credit, in terms of communication, they have done a lot, for both visitors and residents/businesses.

There is huge unmissable signage everywhere across the main railway and Tube stations to direct passengers to venues and residents have been given plenty of notice of the likely hotspots. Ticketholders have also been issued with Travelcards in advance.

Transport for London is also issuing daily updates to forewarn residents of likely hotspots for the following day and twice daily updates for businesses.

A lot of people have taken time off or planned to work from home. For those who are working, many will find out what it's like on Monday and adjust accordingly if they can.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Wished that I stayed in London, I think the buzz and spirit of the Olympics is incredible. I still remember it from when it was in LA and when the world cup was there as well.

Lucky who are there and enjoying the city. ^
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Last 3 days of last week my daily commute from SW6 to EC3 were actually noticably quieter.

Monday will probably be the litmus test as it's the first day of full Olympic events and a normal working day. I think a lot of people have taken time off to go on holiday (not necessarily abroad). I heard this morning that T5 Arrivals was a breeze.

Press reports are indicating that many hotels in central London have space available so it won't necessarily cost you an arm and a leg.

If it's your first time in London, I'd probably wait when it's a bit quieter but there is no sign yet of the predicted traffic and transport meltdown (and thank goodness it's got a bit cooler after last week's scorcher). If the weather stays dry and warm like now it should be lovely.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by bizorbetter

London is a very big city and even the Olympics only have a small effect.

Ticks are not endemic in urban Britain. If you visit our moorlands you may pick them up but no injections are required. (They nestle in your warm damp areas but you can remove them easily.)

Not sure what TS and PC are. There are KFCs all over if you fancy that.

Enjoy your visit.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Arienne du Rseau Courte Dure de British Airways
I'd say come on over. LHR T5 is working better than normal!

There are still tickets available for quite a few events on the official site and some hotels have deals where you get Olympic tickets and your hotel. ( just google it).

London is buzzing. It's a great time to be here. Go for it.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

"Not sure what TS and PC are. There are KFCs all over if you fancy that."

Sorry, Traf Square and Picc Circus.....i was led to believe they had Olympic related activities (not events)

Yes been to London dozens of times ....favorite city in the world pretty much

Thank you for the advice.....only issue sounds like getting tickets i will contact hotels as per Littlegirls advice

cheeers

PS...can someone tell me how to do the quote box thing, esp for multiple ones....cheers

Last edited by bizorbetter; Jul 28, 2012 at 12:34 pm Reason: add Post Script
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: BAEC, SAS EBS, Miles&More
We've just had a really nice day around town. Started with our 4 year old at the London Transport Museum in Covent Garden. Both the shops and the museum were very quiet by Saturday standards.

Had lunch in a theatre restaurant off Drury Lane which according to my aunt was the quietest that she's ever seen it. Walked down to the Embankment and queued about 20 minutes to catch a river boat down to Tower Bridge. Nice views of the rings hanging from the bridge. Finished with a walk past the Tower of London, then across Tower Bridge to sit in the field next to the GLA building. Free music and short films in a pretty relaxed atmosphere and there was room to sit on the grass. Plenty of people around on the South Bank as we headed towards London Bridge but no worse than any other Saturday. The bus we got back through Islington and Hackney didn't encounter any more traffic than a normal Saturday either.

If you've got kids then trying to locate the very individual Wenlock and Mandeville mascots is fun. I think we saw about 10 on our wanders with Somerset House and the Beefeater our favourites.

Off to the basketball tomorrow night so it will be interesting to see how busy Stratford is compared to when I work there. Guessing next week could be more manic once the athletics gets going. A cab company that I deal with for work is actually predicting that the highest levels of congestion will occur during the three days after the games finish as everyone will head off at the same time.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
We thought today was less crazy than during the Easter holidays. Although there are closures, Tube and buses have been okay and even Oxford St was not as bad as it often is on a Saturday evening.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Ticks are not endemic in urban Britain. If you visit our moorlands you may pick them up but no injections are required. (They nestle in your warm damp areas but you can remove them easily.)
However, be aware they can carry and transmit Lymes Disease, which is potentially pretty nasty. If you experience flu like symptoms up to 30 days after removal, or a rash around the bite site then please go to your doctor and explain you want antibiotics because you may have Lymes Disease.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Arienne du Rseau Courte Dure de British Airways
Originally Posted by Jenbel
However, be aware they can carry and transmit Lymes Disease, which is potentially pretty nasty. If you experience flu like symptoms up to 30 days after removal, or a rash around the bite site then please go to your doctor and explain you want antibiotics because you may have Lymes Disease.
He was talking about tickets not Tics surely!
Old Jul 28, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Is it mad in london?

Come to the UK but head to Cornwall and stay away from London

The Cornish economy needs the dosh far more !!

cs

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.