LHR Hotel Hoppa bus stops moved for Olympics

Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques

FYI, the Hoppa buses have relocated to the central bus station during the games. At least that seems to be the case for T1 and T3. Not sure about the other terminals. So it's a long walk in store for you if you need the Hoppa. The bad news is that while they didn't have any problems deciding to inconvenience the traveling public, they apparently couldn't be bothered to change the signage that points you out to the normal Hoppa bus stop. Where you will wait forever wondering why no Hoppa buses are coming around.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels

Thankfully, I use the LHR Free Zone when staying near LHR...but I'm sure many will not realize this!

Originally Posted by stimpy
FYI, the Hoppa buses have relocated to the central bus station during the games. At least that seems to be the case for T1 and T3. Not sure about the other terminals. So it's a long walk in store for you if you need the Hoppa. The bad news is that while they didn't have any problems deciding to inconvenience the traveling public, they apparently couldn't be bothered to change the signage that points you out to the normal Hoppa bus stop. Where you will wait forever wondering why no Hoppa buses are coming around.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:58 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
http://www.heathrowairport.com/trans...es/hotel-buses

From the Hoppa web site:

If you are arriving into Terminal 1 or Terminal 3, please select the Heathrow Airport option in the jouney planner below.

I wonder if it's a permanent change.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by rwoman

Thankfully, I use the LHR Free Zone when staying near LHR...but I'm sure many will not realize this!
I have an annual Travelcard so don't even need to worry about the free zone.

Is there any other major airport that has caught onto the wheeze of banning courtesy shuttles like this?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by stifle
I have an annual Travelcard so don't even need to worry about the free zone.

Is there any other major airport that has caught onto the wheeze of banning courtesy shuttles like this?
The Hotel Hoppa isn't a "courtesy shuttle". It's a very expensive bus service.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I know. Hence my question — has any other airport banned courtesy shuttles like LHR has done?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:54 am

There was clear signage at T1 the other night to the new location; so clear in fact that I noticed it before starting to go my usual route.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exbayern
There was clear signage at T1 the other night to the new location; so clear in fact that I noticed it before starting to go my usual route.
They told me that later, however they failed to remove the old signage which is all I happened to see last night as I walked to the exit.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:00 am

They told me that later, however they failed to remove the old signage which is all I happened to see last night as I walked to the exit.
Ah, I didn't notice the 'old' signage (wouldn't have been looking for it though) I was actually quite bleary eyed and am a little surprised that I happened to notice the new signage as I would most likely have ended up at the old location and not been happy if I had not been paying attention.

They did I thought have the new stops well signaged with routes etc and it didn't feel very temporary to me.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by rwoman
Thankfully, I use the LHR Free Zone when staying near LHR...
^ +1.
And with the stops moved to Heathrow Central, there is no reason whatsoever anymore to use Hoppa, for all but a few hotels. (Secretly I'm hoping that the Hoppa rip-off loses tons of money during that period... )
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by Camflyer
The Hotel Hoppa isn't a "courtesy shuttle". It's a very expensive bus service.
There used to be courtesy shuttles. Indeed, I was travelling out of LHR with the car parked at a hotel when the switchover happened, hotel free shuttle on the outbound, Hotel Hoppa on the way back. June-ish 1997, I think.

Neil
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SW, HH, MR, SPG, Choice
I am staying at a hotel near Heathrow for the Olympics. First time visiting London so need some transit help.

Hotel suggested I take public bus to terminal and take tube to downtown. I will staying for at least a week. Would a 7 day travelcard be my best option? I know there is the Heathrow Express, but I am trying to save some money.

Thanks for any help.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:26 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by tommya
I am staying at a hotel near Heathrow for the Olympics. First time visiting London so need some transit help.

Hotel suggested I take public bus to terminal and take tube to downtown. I will staying for at least a week. Would a 7 day travelcard be my best option? I know there is the Heathrow Express, but I am trying to save some money.
How often will you travel? If every day for a week, yes.

You can get some nice 2 for 1 offers if you're not doing Olympic stuff the whole time by buying it from a railway rather than Tube station. You will in either case need a passport-sized photograph for the associated photocard (I'm pretty sure LU reintroduced them, anyway).

Neil
Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by stifle
I know. Hence my question — has any other airport banned courtesy shuttles like LHR has done?
I don't know the origin, but at MUC, there is a nontrivial charge for the airport hotel shuttles, IIRC 8 Euro per person. I think the same is true at certain other airports in Germany.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tommya
Do you not have any tickets for the Games? You are supposed to get a free all zone travel card with each ticket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.