Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Hotel Hoppa bus stops moved for Olympics

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't know the origin, but at MUC, there is a nontrivial charge for the airport hotel shuttles, IIRC 8 Euro per person. I think the same is true at certain other airports in Germany.
That might be because you don't often get anything for free in Germany - even the little sachets of ketchup at burger restaurants are chargeable, as is using the toilets.

I think that's just a cultural thing, that you shouldn't expect anything for nothing and should pay a fair price for the product/service consumed regardless of how small.

Neil
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:36 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SW, HH, MR, SPG, Choice
Originally Posted by stimpy
Do you not have any tickets for the Games? You are supposed to get a free all zone travel card with each ticket.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get tickets. Cosport did not have much to choose from.

[QUOTE=pacer142;19003827]How often will you travel? If every day for a week, yes.

I will be visiting for 10 nights and do plan to travel every day. I amy look at the train option at the end of the trip since the tube may take more time out of my day than I care. Thanks for advice.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:41 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by tommya
I am staying at a hotel near Heathrow for the Olympics. First time visiting London so need some transit help.

Hotel suggested I take public bus to terminal and take tube to downtown. I will staying for at least a week. Would a 7 day travelcard be my best option? I know there is the Heathrow Express, but I am trying to save some money.

Thanks for any help.
7 day travel card MIGHT be best option.

How many of you are there? Just you?
Which hotel is it?

What do you plan to do? [Any specific non-london places, etc? London everyday?]
How long is your stay (days) will you be travelling all of them?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
And will you be travelling before 0930 on weekdays?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SW, HH, MR, SPG, Choice
Originally Posted by David-A
7 day travel card MIGHT be best option.

How many of you are there? Just you?
Which hotel is it?

What do you plan to do? [Any specific non-london places, etc? London everyday?]
How long is your stay (days) will you be travelling all of them?
Traveling solo and staying at Sheraton Heathrow (not best hotel but at 3k spg/night before increase I can handle it). I plan to go to various Olympic sites (including Wimbledon) and maybe some of the tourist sites, so not too far from Central London. I will be there 10 days and I anticipate traveling every day to and from hotel and possibly from one Olympic site event to another (multiple trips/day).

Most days I will be traveling after 9:30 am, but there might be a day or two where I attend a morning session and leave prior to that.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:10 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pacer142
How often will you travel? If every day for a week, yes.

You can get some nice 2 for 1 offers if you're not doing Olympic stuff the whole time by buying it from a railway rather than Tube station. You will in either case need a passport-sized photograph for the associated photocard (I'm pretty sure LU reintroduced them, anyway).

Neil
I bought a 7 day zone 1/2 travelcard last month and didn't need a photocard.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I bought a 7 day zone 1/2 travelcard last month and didn't need a photocard.
You don't need one on an Oyster card. You do for a paper ticket. If you did not have one, your ticket was invalid.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:20 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Not for adult tickets inside the London fare zones, IIRC.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stut
Not for adult tickets inside the London fare zones, IIRC.
Changed in May, you do now.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:02 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stifle
Changed in May, you do now.
Well, a tube employee worked the ticket machine for me at the Hammersmith&City entrance at Paddington, he set it up for me to get the ticket, and made no mention about the need for a photocard. There was also no mention of such a requirement on the machine screen.

However, I did load it onto my Oyster, it wasn't a paper ticket.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As mentioned above, you do need one for a paper ticket, but not for an Oyster card.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by tommya
I will be visiting for 10 nights and do plan to travel every day. I amy look at the train option at the end of the trip since the tube may take more time out of my day than I care. Thanks for advice.
By that I meant "get a Travelcard from a railway station rather than from a Tube station", as you get extra offers.

It is *NOT* valid on Heathrow Express, nor on Heathrow Connect from LHR to Hayes inclusive.

Neil
Old Jul 27, 2012, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Well, a tube employee worked the ticket machine for me at the Hammersmith&City entrance at Paddington, he set it up for me to get the ticket, and made no mention about the need for a photocard. There was also no mention of such a requirement on the machine screen.
There was a poster at Euston a while ago mentioning the requirement - I think it did apply to Oyster as well.

Neil
Old Jul 27, 2012, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pacer142
There was a poster at Euston a while ago mentioning the requirement - I think it did apply to Oyster as well.

Neil
That is not correct.

So as to avoid confusion, a weekly, monthly, annual, or other period adult Travelcard issued on an Oyster card does not require a photocard. Such a Travelcard issued as a paper ticket does. London Underground will only issue such tickets onto an Oyster card, and National Rail will mostly only issue such tickets on paper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.