FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   Stop over at LHR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/1359814-stop-over-lhr.html)

FAllWay Jun 23, 2012 7:02 pm

Stop over at LHR

I wasn't sure which forum section to post this question.

I am looking into booking F with AA from JFK to ORY with a stopover at LHR that arrives at the LHR airport at 9:30pm then continues on to ORY at 6:50am on BA.
Where do I sleep during the 10 hours? Does AA/BA/LHR provide free place for me to sleep? I'm booking this trip using AA miles. :confused:

clacko Jun 23, 2012 7:22 pm

there is a hotel at lhr airport & many close that have shuttles....

i think you are on your own for hotel & meals [except in the lounge maybe]..

mod alert sent for possible move...

klorenz Jun 23, 2012 7:27 pm

Stop over at LHR

I recently stayed at the yotel not cheap but convenient &easy

Guy Betsy Jun 23, 2012 7:28 pm

Don't book a flight that requires an overnight if you can fly through direct... For one thing, you're on your own for hotels and the way the airport is laid out, it's quite difficult to get around on the paid shuttles to various airport hotels.

You must also collect your bags at LHR.

FAllWay Jun 23, 2012 7:36 pm

Thank you guys

One additional question, since I'm flying F from NYC-LHR on AA then Business on BA to CDG (this is another option I'm looking at instead of arriving at ORY), which lounges can I access? I dont' have any FF status. I guess I get access to lounge @ JFK before departure, can I get access at LHR? Can I get access after arriving at CDG?

rwoman Jun 23, 2012 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k (Post 18809297)
Thank you guys

One additional question, since I'm flying F from NYC-LHR on AA then Business on BA to CDG (this is another option I'm looking at instead of arriving at ORY), which lounges can I access? I dont' have any FF status. I guess I get access to lounge @ JFK before departure, can I get access at LHR? Can I get access after arriving at CDG?

After transferring from T3 (AA) to T5 (BA) at LHR, you can use the BA Galleries Lounges without clearing customs/collecting baggage so long as you check your bags all the way through to CDG. They have showers, food, etc. and are pretty nice.

I do not know if AA/BA use an arrivals lounge at CDG.

stifle Jun 24, 2012 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k (Post 18809297)
Thank you guys

You can use the Flagship Lounge at JFK and the Galleries First at LHR (presenting your boarding pass from the AA flight as well as your onward boarding pass), in each case with one guest who must be departing on a oneworld flight (and in the LHR case, from the same terminal).

There is an Admirals Club at CDG but I don't know if the airport structure will physically allow you to access it without an onward flight.

Aviatrix Jun 24, 2012 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 18809275)
You must also collect your bags at LHR.

Are you sure about that?

I don't believe the UK has any restrictions on baggage being left at airports overnight. Some even airlines let you check your baggage the night before if your journey starts in London.

alanR Jun 24, 2012 9:00 am

Originally Posted by clacko (Post 18809260)
there is a hotel at lhr airport & many close that have shuttles....

AFAIK only one hotel has a shuttle - the Hilton at T4 which has a shuttle from T5.

Other hotels share the Hoppa Bus, but some hotels can be reached for free or for a small charge using the normal buses

http://www.londontoolkit.com/lhr/hotel_hoppa_bus.htm
http://www.londontoolkit.com/lhr/hot...pa_bus.htm#bus

45128 Jun 25, 2012 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k (Post 18809207)
I wasn't sure which forum section to post this question.

I am looking into booking F with AA from JFK to ORY with a stopover at LHR that arrives at the LHR airport at 9:30pm then continues on to ORY at 6:50am on BA.
Where do I sleep during the 10 hours? Does AA/BA/LHR provide free place for me to sleep? I'm booking this trip using AA miles. :confused:

Originally Posted by rwoman (Post 18810068)
After transferring from T3 (AA) to T5 (BA) at LHR, you can use the BA Galleries Lounges without clearing customs/collecting baggage so long as you check your bags all the way through to CDG. They have showers, food, etc. and are pretty nice.

I do not know if AA/BA use an arrivals lounge at CDG.

Sorry, but the BA Galleries Lounges close when the last flight of the day departs, as does the rest of the airport.

Like it or not, the OP will just have to enter the UK through immigration control and to doss down elsewhere - but not in any lounge - regrettably at his own expense.

Someone else will doubtless tell him whether or not he can sleep on one of the benches in the departure hall, but judging from the design of said benches that would be very uncomfortable.

As to his baggage I know not.