Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Student Caught Smuggling Liquid Cocaine in Shampoo Bottle at DUB

Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:23 pm
Used to be 'FTcadence'
Original Poster

The 22-year-old student was sentenced to 5 years in prison with 3 of those years suspended. In addition to the cocaine that was found in the bottle, he'd swallowed 2 capsules which very likely would have burst had they not been pumped out of his stomach.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-29935797.html
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: UA
Pardon my ignorance...but what the hell is liquid cocaine? the article really doesn't suss that out and I can't say I've ever heard of that.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I would suspect it's cocaine dissolved in water.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by CPRich
I would suspect it's cocaine dissolved in water.
Yes, it could be very extremely dangerous. He will get sick. I think that he need to see his doctor immediately.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:38 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ing-helps.html let's move this to the appropriate destination forum while leaving a permanent re-direct in Travel News.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:03 am

Location: In the process of moving from Dubai back to Tokyo because I didn't like it there. Working in Melaka, Malaysia now.
Programs: No longer loyal to any airline.
Only 2 years behind bars?

No lesson learned there!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:17 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by InTokyo
Only 2 years behind bars?

No lesson learned there!
Please take any vindictive sentencing desires over to OMNI.

Personally I'm entirely content with that sentence in a civilised society.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Ditto.

His record will show a 5 year sentence and a ban on entering the RoI for 10 years.

The court took into account that he was vulnerable and 'remarkably immature' and had been exploited. That's what courts in many countries do - reflect the individual circumstances of the case rather than using grandstanding penal sentences.

This will have long term implications for him. He will have difficulty getting a job in future . He will also need to apply for a visa to visit many countries in future - never easy.

Plus given he was on remand since last April his jail time will be closer to 3 years than 2.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Ditto.

His record will show a 5 year sentence and a ban on entering the RoI for 10 years.

The court took into account that he was vulnerable and 'remarkably immature' and had been exploited. That's what courts in many countries do - reflect the individual circumstances of the case rather than using grandstanding penal sentences.

This will have long term implications for him. He will have difficulty getting a job in future . He will also need to apply for a visa to visit many countries in future - never easy.

Plus given he was on remand since last April his jail time will be closer to 3 years than 2.
^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.