Reload this Page >

Connecting through LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting through LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Should be doable if all goes to plan.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: 2015 kettle
Tough call.....Is there a *G lounge there to hang out in if I change to an earlier flight I'd have like 3 hours to sit in LHR T1. Thanks for the insight.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Yes, there is a *G lounge in LHR T1. Near transfer security.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I am coming into LHR in CW on the "sleeper" flight from ORD at 10:00 and connecting to a flight to MAN at 13:20. I am considering making the connection land side and visiting the Arrivals Lounge. Discussion elsewhere suggests that the air-land-air side process would be no slower and might be faster than the connections route. My one visit suggests that the AL will be quieter and have a better breakfast than the GC. However I will have a checked bag and I have seen a comment elsewhere that going land side might create complications for baggage processing, though it should work out OK. I would be interested in any comments.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by MADPhil
I am coming into LHR in CW on the "sleeper" flight from ORD at 10:00 and connecting to a flight to MAN at 13:20. I am considering making the connection land side and visiting the Arrivals Lounge. Discussion elsewhere suggests that the air-land-air side process would be no slower and might be faster than the connections route. My one visit suggests that the AL will be quieter and have a better breakfast than the GC. However I will have a checked bag and I have seen a comment elsewhere that going land side might create complications for baggage processing, though it should work out OK. I would be interested in any comments.
I'm assuming your flight from ORD is on BA (by use of 'CW') but who is your onward flight with as that has implications for which terminal you need to get to and if your bags will be checked through or not.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:23 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I think you're right in your conclusion that the Arrivals Lounge breakfast will be better (it'll be the dregs in the GC lounges by that time) and that the lounge will be quieter (easier shower access, too...) but the transit speed will depend to a certain extent on your nationality - and the queue at immigration.

But... As this is mostly a BA question, I can happily split & move this over to the BA forum, where they'll know the answer a bit more readily. Just let me know.

stut
UK & Ireland
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I'm assuming your flight from ORD is on BA (by use of 'CW') but who is your onward flight with as that has implications for which terminal you need to get to and if your bags will be checked through or not.
Sorry, I should have made it clear that I am connecting BA to BA on the same ticket so the bag will be checked through. My impression is that going land side will result in my not being marked "ready to fly" on the MAN flight as soon as if I stay air side so that the bag may get pulled aside.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by MADPhil
My impression is that going land side will result in my not being marked "ready to fly" on the MAN flight as soon as if I stay air side so that the bag may get pulled aside.
The "ready to fly" box will be ticked when you go back airside through security after using the arrivals lounge so no issues there. Just make sure you get the boarding pass scanned at security before t-35 minutes.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by stewardo
The "ready to fly" box will be ticked when you go back airside through security after using the arrivals lounge so no issues there. Just make sure you get the boarding pass scanned at security before t-35 minutes.
Thanks. That is what I assumed but I wondered if, given T5's baggage handling problems, it posed more risk than it should. I assume that the same process is what happens when you go through security in connections so that it shouldn't make much difference anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.