Best place for Afternoon tea in London, announced

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels

I have not done an afternoon tea in London...definitely curious on what other FT'ers thoughts are.

The best place to enjoy an afternoon tea in London has been revealed by The Tea Guild, who announced their annual ‘Top City and Country Hotel Afternoon Tea Awards 2012’ yesterday – otherwise known as the ‘Oscars’ of the tea world.

The Athenaeum Hotel scooped up first place in the prestigious awards, which have been running for 27 years. A team of expert inspectors judged the hotel anonymously on its variety, flavour and knowledge of the teas offered, together with the quality of food, service, décor, ambience, and presentation.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
There are a couple of threads on this. The Athenaeum may well be the best, since the main 'tourist trap' places like The Ritz tend to get bad reviews for afternoon tea, albeit the ambiance is stunning.

You need to remember that no English person for at least 50 years has actually taken 'afternoon tea' for a non-touristic reason in the style served to you in the grand hotels ....!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
You need to remember that no English person for at least 50 years has actually taken 'afternoon tea' for a non-touristic reason in the style served to you in the grand hotels ....!
So true! A bizarre throwback to a class-laden stuffy Britain I am very glad to have left behind.

Save your money and spend it on exploring London's world class dining scene instead. ^
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:59 am

There are a couple of threads on this. The Athenaeum may well be the best, since the main 'tourist trap' places like The Ritz tend to get bad reviews for afternoon tea, albeit the ambiance is stunning.

Well, sometimes for things like birthday parties – do they count as "non-touristic"?

Among the tourist-trap places, I rather like the Dorchester, I have to say. And the pianist will usually play requests if you ask discreetly.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:38 am
Community Director Emerita

I send friends to the Portrait at the top of the Portrait Gallery. You get a great view over the Thames, there's no chintz, and there are alternatives to a traditional tea for those in the party who don't take to scones and tea sandwiches. Food is very well done there; it's also great for lunch.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?

Actually, I quite often have afternoon tea in the Botanics in Edinburgh -while you are right I am not English it is amazingly good value (about £8) and the food is delicious. Ok, it might not be quite starched white table cloths, but you do get a proper cake stand
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:54 am

Ahem!

Completely untrue actually.

I often potter along for Afternoon Tea in one of London's smarter hotels either with friends, or even just to read the papers and watch the world potter by. Can't beat it!

Though I'd avoid The Ritz; far too busy and you have to wear a jacket and tie.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Actually, I quite often have afternoon tea in the Botanics in Edinburgh -while you are right I am not English it is amazingly good value (about £8) and the food is delicious. Ok, it might not be quite starched white table cloths, but you do get a proper cake stand
My sister and niece treated themselves to afternoon tea in the Balmoral a few weeks ago. They seemed to enjoy it and thought the price was decent enough even with the glass of Champagne.
They got what they couldn't eat boxed up to take away with them and found that the staff had put in some extra cakes for them. ^
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob

Some of the threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...=afternoon+tea
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Thanks for the list of threads. I only posted an independent thread since this was a place being recognized vice me looking for place to get afternoon tea.

Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used to have afternoon tea with friends quite often - if only because that was the time they picked up children from school / nursery and brought them home. We would have sandwiches, biscuits, cake and lots of cups of tea! I think part of the reason is that, certainly our group, ate supper much later, 8-9pm, so something to keep you going until then was a good plan! Plus it was a good excuse to get together for a gossip, and open a bottle of wine (after 5pm of course...) if required (it normally was required!)

Near my parents, the retirees all seem to go out for afternoon tea - the local garden centre is packed out between 3 and 5 each afternoon with the blue rinse brigade! And quite a few of the restaurants and upscale pubs have also cashed in on the market, during their slow period between lunch and after work drinks crowd, by offering things like fancy coffees (and the usual tea, but Brits are heathens who drink milky coffee in the afternoon!) and teacakes, scones etc.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:22 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Not in London obviously, but The Midland in Manchester offers a delightful afternoon tea. We quite enjoyed it last fall at the end of a wedding weekend.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Tea is still very much enjoyed by British people in the south either at weekends or amongst those who don't work. Even those who work will often get a cup of tea at tea time.

However, the tourist traps have created some Downton Abbey-esque parody of what happened 100 years ago in grand country estates. What actually happens in a private home is a cup of tea and one of a range of treats - perhaps a (very small) tomato sandwich, or a crumpet, or a scone or a slice of cake. And it won't happen before 4:15 or after 5:30.

Tourists, meanwhile, are led to believe that there is some sort of full meal served at 3 pm, when they are still full from their lunch. Then they can't understand why they shoudl eat so much when they will be full for their dinner at 7pm. Well, locals won't eat lunch until 1 at the earliest and won't eat dinner until 8pm at the earliest Nor will they have a drink until 6pm at the earliest.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Tourists, meanwhile, are led to believe that there is some sort of full meal served at 3 pm, when they are still full from their lunch. Then they can't understand why they shoudl eat so much when they will be full for their dinner at 7pm. Well, locals won't eat lunch until 1 at the earliest and won't eat dinner until 8pm at the earliest Nor will they have a drink until 6pm at the earliest.
Well, there is indeed some sort of full meal served at many of these places – sandwiches and sometimes other savouries, scones and jam and cream, pastries, cakes...

My advice to anyone partaking of this fare is to skip lunch (or have an early small lunch if lunch can't be avoided: e.g. if there are children involved), enjoy the offerings at afternoon tea to the full, and have a small and late dinner (or "supper" might be a better word) if one is even hungry again before bed-time.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Agree with that - if I go out for one in the Botanics, it acts as a late lunch for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.