Conservative party admits wrong on Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conservative party admits wrong on Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by phol
What is to stop a 3rd/4th runway being built over/just to the West of the M25, lined up North to South?
Have a modified version of the CentreForum plan - build two runways just to the west of the M25 aligned with the existing runways, keeping the existing runways.

Would mean some long trundles for aircraft (perhaps it's now time to introduce those electric tugs) but it would give much of the advantages of the plans without having to pay all the costs in one go. Then as money permits build the additional runways ultimately shifting the whole airport to the west.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19935177

Now the 3 runway, is or will be bad for health.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by origin
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19935177

Fairly predictable, as will the eventual discovery of a rare weed or insect
Old Oct 13, 2012, 5:57 am

I've just waded through the Policy Exchange document which recommends a four runway airport to the west of LHR.

I can honestly say I have never read such a sensationalist, poorly written and sloppily researched, unbalanced, in places wholly inaccurate document.

It's mostly filler about how much the author (who is possibly chippy because he states he's never flown First Class..!) thinks air travel is a horrid experience.

Anyone would think that fantasy has just been created to drag out any enquiry into a Third Runway........
Old Oct 13, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by T8191
Fairly predictable, as will the eventual discovery of a rare weed or insect
You mean someone will come up with a 7 legged spider?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

More here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19934804
Old Oct 15, 2012, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by origin
I think it's already bad for my health. Every time I hear Heathrow planes droning overhead, it makes me think of the third runway debate, and my blood pressure rises!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 5:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oscietra
I've just waded through the Policy Exchange document which recommends a four runway airport to the west of LHR.

I can honestly say I have never read such a sensationalist, poorly written and sloppily researched, unbalanced, in places wholly inaccurate document.

It's mostly filler about how much the author (who is possibly chippy because he states he's never flown First Class..!) thinks air travel is a horrid experience.

Anyone would think that fantasy has just been created to drag out any enquiry into a Third Runway........
I was actually rather impressed by it....
Old Oct 20, 2012, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Really? That's surprising.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:09 am

Like the call to arms for the mass culling of birds at Boris Island?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Latest proposal is 4 runway mega-hub at Stansted, with an extension of Crossrail from Stratford to Stansted to provide a "25 minute connection" to London (though I think that is to Stratford, so probably a bit longer to Central London).

Pictures and text here and here, and from the Evening Standard this evening.

Seems better positioned geographically than Boris Island, in that at least it's north.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 2:00 pm

Now this Stansted idea has legs. I like it.

Sort out the links to London and it makes sense - how far away is it compared to the Isle of Grain? Would road and rail links cost more than would be the case opening up Northern Kent?

It does, however, lack the ability to incorporate a multimodal Port.

It's also in the wrong place for rail links to the Channel Tunnel, and is currently poorly linked by road (but that's fixable, just like it is for Thames Hub).

The main objection is whether there is enough cheap housing nearby to support the workforce; I've only visited friends' estates in Essex and it was rather a long walk to the edge so I've no idea what the rest of the county is like.

I think Stansted vs. Thames Hub is a sensible debate to have.

Can we please find a flock of Rough Faced Shags or Zitting Cisticola(e) to cull, then I think that would tick every box! I have a feeling neither would be in short supply in Essex.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The STN proposal actually looks workable. I gather the Buffoon in City Hall has realised it might be a more viable option and will blow with the breeze in the forthcoming weeks.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
An airport on the M11 is currently poorly linked by road?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jenbel
An airport on the M11 is currently poorly linked by road?
Indeed. I was thinking that too. And with respect to channel tunnel links, given that those trains go via Stratford, it surely would not be beyond the wit of man to extend the line from Stratford if interconnection to Channel trains was seen as a desirable proposition. There is at first sight a corridor North of Stratford broadly alongside the Lee and the existing line to Tottenham and beyond where there should be room for rail track extension if required (albeit with a few pinch points).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.