Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

VAT refund funny business at dublin airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:43 am
Original Poster

So- i've been shopping all around Europe and getting the global blue refund receipts. The receipts say that to be valid they need to be stamped. When i got to dublin airport- the global blue desk is airside (which makes no sense- since you're supposed to show the goods). I get there and the lady was just getting in, I asked her what to do- she simply states- stick it in the mailbox. ...?!?! I asked if i needed to get any stamps or anything- she simply said "no".

so- will i get my tax refund back!?!?! or was she being lazy!?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:35 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Global Blue says:

GET IT
Once you’ve found that perfect item, remember to ask the shop staff for a Tax Free Form when you’re paying for it.

STAMP IT
When you’re leaving the country, take your purchases, receipt and passport to the *customs desk to get your Tax Free Form stamped.

CASH IT
Finally, show your stamped Tax Free Form, passport and credit card to Global Blue Customer Services or one of our partner refund points for a cash or credit card refund.

Looks like you missed a step. The stamping is done by customs, and not the refund desk. Good luck with that refund, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Correct - if the items are in your checked baggage you have to go to the customs desk first before you check in your bags and get the form(s) stamped. This is one of the rare occasions you will ever encounter a customs agent in DUB!

You have a chance of getting the refund but what I would have done is insisted on having it processed by the woman at the desk. In my experience they never ask to actually see the items and I would trust their "processing" more than how it gets interpreted when someone opens the envelope.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Ireland is rather relaxed about all these things. Unless your refund is for a very substantial amount, you will probably get it soon enough.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

I sent an email a few days ago, and of course they only email me after i already got back to the states.

the email was a little confusing, but essentially stated:

"we only handle forums that have the irish global blue and fexco logo. if you have these forms you can drop in our drop box in dublin. any other forms got outside of ireland would need to be brought to customs".

...?!?! I'm a little annoyed that even when i tried to follow the rules, i was told that "just stick em in the box"...

it's not a substantial amount- probably around 150 euros in tax back i suppose? I probably wouldn't have bought all the items if i knew i wasn't getting tax back. regardless...the waiting game commences. perhaps i'll get lucky
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:52 pm

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...ravellers.html

It seems the complications comes from the "agencies" that handle the refunds for some merchants. If a merchant doesn't use one of these agencies then they have to process all the refunds themselves which does seem like it would be a pain.

I think the box you dropped it in was for a specific agency. You should get a refund from any receipts from merchants handled by that agency. They can process any refunds up to 635 Euro without a stamp.

Any receipts from *other* merchants had to be sent to their agencies which might not be the same as the one in Ireland. And any receipts from merchants that didn't use an agency would have to be stamped and sent back to the merchant.

In practice I think most merchants use agencies and I think there are actually only a small number of agencies across Europe so maybe you'll get lucky and most or all of your receipts will be processed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.