Wiki Posts
Search

Buying, registering and insuring a car in UK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Thanks guys.

I hadn't thought of the VAT refund. Although I'm not sure that would work now. I'll check to see if it's possible.

Am I right in assuming that the insurance is good throughout the EU?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bensyd
Thanks guys.

I hadn't thought of the VAT refund. Although I'm not sure that would work now. I'll check to see if it's possible.
The way this normally works is that the vehicle is purchased tax-free (assuming it is a new vehicle) and you have a certain period to export the vehicle. I might be wrong but I do not think that the rules contemplate a refund if the vehicle has been purchased with VAT included. In that respect, VAT works differently for (new) vehicles than for most other goods. If buying second-hand, the VAT will normally only be on the seller's margin (rather than the total price of the vehicle) so it is less of an issue if you cannot claim it back.

Am I right in assuming that the insurance is good throughout the EU?
UK-purchased insurance will typically give you third party cover in other EU Member States but not necessarily fire, theft or accidental damage cover although this can normally be extended by means of a simple declaration and possibly, for very cheap insurance contracts, a small supplement.
If you are not UK-resident, however, you do need to check what the story is regarding insurance as 99% of motor vehicle insurance contracts sold in the UK are premised on UK residence.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Thanks Nick. I'll be sure to double check on the residence requirement.

It never ceases to amaze me the depth of knowledge and helpfullness of people on FT. ^

Re VAT refund, I found this...
Exporting motor vehicles outside the EU - the Personal Export Scheme

The Personal Export Scheme is for visitors to the UK from outside the EU, and EU residents who intend to leave the EU and remain outside it for at least six months. Under the scheme, when you buy a motor vehicle in the UK and you're going to export it, you don't have to pay VAT.

When you buy a vehicle under the scheme, the supplier will give you an application form VAT 410.

You must:

read VAT notice 707
complete the form
sign it to say you have read Notice 707
hand it back to the supplier.

If it's a new car, your vehicle will then be issued with a pink registration book - VX 302 - which means the car has been bought tax-free. For both new and old cars, you'll get a special tax disc.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/c...l-vehicles.htm

It looks as though this needed to be done at the point the car was sold. Oh well.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 5:13 am

Help me! I am in the same situation as you were 4 years ago, wanting to buy a car.

Originally Posted by kukukajoo
I did buy the car- her name is Esmeralda, Esme for short. She was already named by the elderly lady I bought her from. Was a steal at 500 GBP as she is MOT until August (I will be gone by then) and road tax due late next month, and had a full tank of gas.

She is a 96 Neon LX with just 18,000 miles on her, and had been bought used in 2000 with 12,800 so has barely been broken in, perfect in every way and still looks new inside and out. She had all maintenance records and was very well maintained.

I got insurance (finally) through one of the offsellers on internet. Was 527 GBP for a year if I remember right. When I leave I will get about half back. Was very hard to find one who would insure reasonably a foreigner.

Some tips for others with insurance, as it really doesn't make sense how they cost out the policies here (is slightly backwards!)
1. Full comprehensive coverage was much less expensive than the bare minimum, so plug in different types of coverage before you settle.
2. If you have a friend who lives here and will drive it occasionally, it may be cheaper to add them on as an occasional driver than just have yourself listed.
Worth it to have my friend drive it for me sometimes!!
3. What we call deductible in the US is called excess here (I thought it meant extra coverage at first!). Lowering your excess may not affect the policy price at all, and in some instances may lower it! I have zero excess and is cheaper than 300 excess!
4. shop around. The quotes varied wildly in price
5. You can haggle with quotes....
6. If you are making montly payments, don't accept the first interest rate. When I clicked on pay full amount, it offered me a rate of 5% instead of the 28% it had listed before, trying to get me to take the loan. Could save you a good chunk of money if this is how you pay.
7. Insurance is fully obtainable online!
8. Don't fall for the bait and switch. The lowest company tried to tell me I had ticked the box that said UK resident since birth and wanted to nearly double the policy. I knew I didn't make an error and went with the second company (which ended up being 20 GBP less!).
9. Be very careful when making purchases- some options are pushed on you that you may not need or want. Some you have to tick the box to delete, others you have to untick, so go slow and pay attention. Also, read carefully- it seems common here that you are automatically opted in to the junk mailings and to opt out you have to tick another box.
10. They may not take a foreign card for payment so be prepared to settle in cash in person or have another alternative to pay.

I think that is all the adivce I have, can others add to it?

I am VERY pleased with the purchase and the freedom I now have. I am still getting used to drivng here, with the roundabouts and places where you crossover still a little scary to me. I am more used to the car now and locations of switches, knobs and all so that is helping me. I haven't gone far at all, and will never drive in London!

This has been a learning process for me, and a little stressful at times, but all worked out in the end and I am very thankful for all the advice on here, as you made it go much smoother had I been totally on my own. Actually, left to my own devices, I would never had attempted to buy a car here, so a huge thank you to all!!
Hello kukukajoo,

I am now in the same situation as you were 4 years ago.
I am from Atlanta, GA.
I am gonna stay 6 months as a visitor here in the UK and I want to buy a cheap car to commute here.
Your thread helped me understanding very much about insurance in the UK.
I saw a affordable car but I still struggle with insurances.
Do you remember what company and/or websites that you used in order to finally get that deal???
I look forward to hearing from you!!!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 7:12 am
formerly known as ravishah

Try looking on the moneysavingexpert website they have a whole section on car insurance and how to find the cheapest quote.

also note tax discs are no longer, you pay it online but don't get a paper disc so to say but you still need it to drive!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Not sure which insurance company the OP used, but Adrian Flux has a good reputation for dealing with 'difficult' (i.e. foreign) drivers.

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/foreign-ncb/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.