Search

The "Two Together" Railcard

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2011, 5:41 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The "Two Together" Railcard

Currently being trialled for residents of the West Midlands, but soon to be rolled out to the entire country. Full details here.

This railcard costs £28 and gives a 1/3rd discount on most rail fares (standard and 1st class) for two named people travelling together anywhere in the mainland UK. Could be rather handy for visitors, too, once rolled out nationwide.

Thought I'd give a heads-up here, and will update the FAQs in due course.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:08 am

Programs: HH Gold & bunch of mainly useless other bits of plastic
Thanks stut.

Hmm, it says no discounts for annual gold card holders. Wonder if that will change when it's rolled out nationwide. I currently get Mrs Cavman a Network Railcard for a quid rather than the 20 odd it should cost. OK, it's only the old Network South East but it still saves enough & means I don't have to be there for her to get the third off.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:11 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Interesting idea. Would far prefer it if they'd just create a proper National Railcard at a suitable price, though (I'm thinking quite a bit higher than the "standard" about-30-quid being talked about here - maybe 60 quid would be a sensible figure?).

I rather hope no plan to replace the Network Card with it...that'd be rather discriminatory...

Neil
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by pacer142
Interesting idea. Would far prefer it if they'd just create a proper National Railcard at a suitable price, though
+1.

Other countries have them, why not the UK?

I rather hope no plan to replace the Network Card with it...that'd be rather discriminatory...
Why discriminatory? Isn't it the Network Card itself that is discriminatory?

While I am glad the Network Card exists it has always struck me as rather odd that there is a discount card that is valid in one corner of the country while the rest of the country has to go without. I would have no problem with the Network Card being replaced by a national card - as long as it's not a "two travel together" card which would be of very little use to me.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 1:45 am
Original Poster

I would love to have a BahnCard100 equivalent available at German prices... My annual season from here to King's Cross (without Travelcard) is the same price!
Old Sep 14, 2011, 3:42 am

I'd certainly be interested in this. Unfortunately, it sounds like any decision to roll it out nationwide will be a long way off - 2013 is mentioned.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Wonder if they'd accept a PAYG PO Box address..?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
For cards purchased online, it will reject an invalid postcode. Staff are not required to check that the address given for railcards purchased at the station is valid, although I suspect questions might be asked of purchasers who were clearly foreign.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 4:43 am
Original Poster

So as long as you go up to the counter and say "awroit yow", you're fine?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:15 am
Suspended

And depart with a cheery 'tara-a-bit'.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:21 am
Original Poster

That's a plan, then. Bostin!
Old Feb 22, 2014, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
The Two Together Railcard was abruptly discontinued in May 2012 but will be relaunched nationwide early next month. With a fee of £30 it will be valid for one year and can be purchased by anyone at a staffed National Rail station (but not Heathrow Airport). Online sales will be available but only for posting to UK addresses.

If you aren't going outside the defined area the Network Railcard is clearly better on weekends. During the week the Two Together Railcard may be more useful for pairs as it's valid from 0930 rather than 1000, is allowed in first class, and has no minimum fare.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:39 am

Two Together Railcard to be (re)launched on Monday:

http://www.twotogether-railcard.co.uk

I've been looking forward to this, it's a great product!
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:32 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
And now available to buy. You can order one online (posted to you within five days) or at stations - both methods require a passport-type photo.

Maybe I'm being a little too keen, but the online booking sites don't seem to have added the new railcard, so you can't yet book tickets with one, other than (presumably) going to a station.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Most don't seem to have it yet - the Scotrail website is one that does (and, of course, will sell national tickets - won't give you the East Coast online discount, though...)

And there's an online discount code of 'LEAFLET3' which should get you £3 off the railcard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.