Search

What is Brighton like on a Sunday?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
What is Brighton like on a Sunday?

I get the sense that Brighton is an outdoor kind of place so it probably won't matter that most stores are either closed and or closes early on Sundays. Is that really the case? Can I have a decent time in Brighton on a Sunday? My time in the UK is running short and I want to squeeze Brighton in if I can.

Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:41 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Yes you will have a great time, all the places around The Lanes will be open, pubs open, beach open, pier open, Kemp Town open
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:08 am

Pretty much everything will be open and if it is a nice day it will be very busy!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:11 am

Agreed, Brighton's good fun, go!

At the weekend, First Capital Connect offer cheaper Super Off-peak Day Return tickets - from London Bridge to Brighton the fare is £10, or £6.60 with a Railcard. Note that you do have to travel with FCC from (and back to) London Bridge, you can't travel with Southern trains from/to Victoria station.

The Royal Pavilion is worth a visit too.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Mizter T
Agreed, Brighton's good fun, go!

At the weekend, First Capital Connect offer cheaper Super Off-peak Day Return tickets - from London Bridge to Brighton the fare is £10, or £6.60 with a Railcard. Note that you do have to travel with FCC from (and back to) London Bridge, you can't travel with Southern trains from/to Victoria station.

The Royal Pavilion is worth a visit too.
Thanks for the tip Mizter T!

Isn't FCC the same as National Rail's website? Will I get the same pricing for the weekend through National Rail's website or I'll have to use FCC's website?

I have absolutely no problem going to London Bridge!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Isn't FCC the same as National Rail's website? Will I get the same pricing for the weekend through National Rail's website or I'll have to use FCC's website?

I have absolutely no problem going to London Bridge!
First Capital Connect (FCC) is one of the many passenger train operating companies in Britain - 'National Rail' meanwhile is just an umbrella name or brand that encompasses all these train companies' services (some more info here).

As such, FCC services (and fares) will appear on the National Rail journey planner just the same as all the other train companies' services.

You don't need to buy the Super Off-Peak fare ahead of travel on any website though, it's a walk-up fare and so is available on the day from the ticket office or self-service ticket machines - though a word of warning regarding the ticket machines, this particular fare might not be shown immediately unless you coax the machine into displaying it, e.g. by typing in 'Brighton' as your destination then selecting the FCC-only Super Off-Peak Day Return fare from the menu of different tickets on offer (and remembering to add the Railcard discount too).

You can of course buy it ahead of travel should you wish from the FCC or any other rail ticketing website - as a walk-up ticket, you're not limited to travelling on a particular train (though with this particular ticket you are limited to travelling on FCC services, so don't get on a Southern service!).
Old Aug 23, 2011, 7:08 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
FCC also have a promotion on super off-peak tickets at the moment if you book online - use the code FCCSUMMER for a 10% discount.

Always worth checking http://www.southernrailway.co.uk/ for any current advance purchase promotions too.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
Would also recommend taking one of the buses from Brighton to the top of the South Downs if it's a nice day and you would also like some countryside - Devil's Dyke is usually the most popular route, and you can pick it from the Station or Seafront:

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/inde...quest=c1000976
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Originally Posted by lsquare
I get the sense that Brighton is an outdoor kind of place so it probably won't matter that most stores are either closed and or closes early on Sundays. Is that really the case? Can I have a decent time in Brighton on a Sunday? My time in the UK is running short and I want to squeeze Brighton in if I can.

Thanks!
All major shops will be open, either 10-4 or 11-5 due to the laws here, small shops and eateries can open all day.

If you are only here for a day, just walk straight down from the station to the seafront and most of the tourist attractions will be within walking distance of each other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.