Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British words and accents

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2011, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by stut
I find myself on the "wouldn't be seen dead within 100 yards of one of the things" side of the divide, personally...
I think that's a stance that most on both sides of the pond can get behind. I have noticed that certain nationalities have a propensity for wearing them. In particular, amongst mathematicians at least, Hungarians have a bizarre affinity for them.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 2:24 am

I must admit that I shouldn't have thought that "thank you for your custom" would be too difficult for the average native English speaker to understand (because customers give custom), although I own that it's perhaps a trifle quaint.

A "sweet" drink is obvious; I've never thought of drinks as "savoury" – snacks and food yes, but not drinks so much.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 2:40 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by origin
In the UK I call them OAP's, I am not sure how this is going to change when the new retirement age starts.
VOAPs?

I'm surprised there's been no mention yet of words which aren't used much outwith Scotland.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 2:53 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Christopher
A "sweet" drink is obvious; I've never thought of drinks as "savoury" – snacks and food yes, but not drinks so much.
Bovril?

<dry boaks>
Old Aug 16, 2011, 2:56 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by ajax
Really? I've never heard that in the US. Where in the country was she from? That sounds like the kind of thing that a British person would make up to have a chuckle about funny expressions from elsewhere...
New Jersey
Old Aug 16, 2011, 3:07 am

Programs: BD,Skyteam,QF
Originally Posted by teflon
VOAPs?

I'm surprised there's been no mention yet of words which aren't used much outwith Scotland.
and, having English as my first language, I still flinch when I hear 'outwith' used. I first heard it about 10 years ago, and never from anyone other than an English person. Is it in common use? What's wrong with 'outside'?, does it add anything to the meaning intended?
then again, I know other nationalities fall about laughing at the Irish usage of 'bring' and 'take', seeing us as applying them completely opposite to everyone else.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Originally Posted by will2288
(UK=flashlight, USA=flaming stick)
Did I miss a smiley? I thought it was: UK = torch, US = flashlight.
Originally Posted by origin
In the UK I call them OAP's, I am not sure how this is going to change when the new retirement age starts.
You could try 'pensioners'. Not all pensioners are old @:-) and 'old age' pensioners is so 20th century.

To the OP: at least a live person was there. I detest to the extreme the recorded nonsense pidgin German (grootsie) that BA inflict on their passengers to ZRH. It amuses the Swiss passengers, anyway.

BA have enhanced it recently. It is just as annoying. It's sometimes accompanied by a live person saying we have crew who speak Spanish and French (useful to ZRH?), though I haven't heard that recently. OTOH, occasionally the message from the flight deck is in German and is well received.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I think a native Australian speaker would understand "savoury" and "custom".
We native Australian speakers certainly do understand both phrases.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Roger
You could try 'pensioners'. Not all pensioners are old @:-) and 'old age' pensioners is so 20th century.
Thats the word pensioners. T8191 isnt old either.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teflon
VOAPs?

My memory isnt so good for that at the moment. Apart from Loch.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by buddman
"sweet or savoury" snack. Does anyone other than a British native speaker know what a "savory" snack is?
So, can someone please enligten us British native speakers, what is your word for 'savoury' snacks then ?
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by HIDDY
2. The captain thanked the passengers for "their custom". same as above
Dad blame it, why doan' he TALK like a man? You answer me DAT...
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
So, can someone please enligten us British native speakers, what is your word for 'savoury' snacks then ?
I'm surprised the expression isn't known in the USA - because I know that Canadians use it, and although there are some differences (like restroom/washroom) I thought that Canadian and US English generally tend to use the same words.

(I know about Canadian usage because there is always a choice of a sweet or savoury breakfast dish on the daytime AC flight from YYZ to LHR... which is my favourite flight home across the Atlantic)
Old Aug 16, 2011, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott LTP/PE
Return flight back from FRA tonight, French guy was the anouncing cc. What I heard was "we will begin our inflight service by coming down the aisle to give you a smack". don't think so mate!
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by measures
and, having English as my first language, I still flinch when I hear 'outwith' used. I first heard it about 10 years ago, and never from anyone other than an English person. Is it in common use? What's wrong with 'outside'?, does it add anything to the meaning intended?
then again, I know other nationalities fall about laughing at the Irish usage of 'bring' and 'take', seeing us as applying them completely opposite to everyone else.
"Outwith" is common in Scottish usage, and it seems to be used when others might use "outside" in the non-physical sense (i.e. not "outside the building" but "outside the regulations" or "outside the remit of the committee" or whatever).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.