British words and accents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British words and accents

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:39 am

"Supper was only used by those with affectations to grandness, Bucket style"
No - it's more complicated than that - depends on the context in which "supper" was said.
When I were a lad (longer ago than I care to admit) growing up in the industrial part (rather than the pretty part) of Cumbria, there was tea at about 6pm then supper (usually just a slice of toast and rum butter) at about 9.30pm. The bread was toasted on an iron fork in front of an open fire. Supper in that context was definitely working class!
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
No - it's more complicated than that - depends on the context in which "supper" was said.
When I were a lad (longer ago than I care to admit) growing up in the industrial part (rather than the pretty part) of Cumbria, there was tea at about 6pm then supper (usually just a slice of toast and rum butter) at about 9.30pm. The bread was toasted on an iron fork in front of an open fire. Supper in that context was definitely working class!
That's interestingly, not heard that usage before. Down South it certainly is an affectation.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by rcspeirs
My grandmother (working class Lancashire) also used "supper" in the same context. Maybe it's a North West thing?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:39 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by bibbju
My grandmother (working class Lancashire) also used "supper" in the same context. Maybe it's a North West thing?
West of Scotland too (see #294).
Old Mar 7, 2016, 12:40 pm

Speaking of accents...
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Luxury - we used to 'ave to get up and lick rrrorrrrdd cleeen wit tung
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Ran across this today and thought it was a concise survey of the evolution of our language:

Not entirely surprising, since I had to read Chaucer when I was in high school, but the central question posed as to how far back you would need to go before English stopped sounding and looking like English is fascinating.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by bibbju
Yorkshire too, supper was always something like a slice of toast or a couple of biscuits. In the posh sense I always think of Jennifer Saunders in AbFab inviting someone round for "kitchen sups"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.