Wiki Posts
Search

British words and accents

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 3:19 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Prospero
To me, one of the most endearing characteristics of flying BA is the multi-cultural, multi-national presence on board. Hey, we even had a 'Merkin* crew member on board last weekend's short LGW-EDI.
Ah, been a while since I've been up on an EDI flight. Do they still greet you with "you'll have had your tea, then"?

(Or do they just make foreigners wonder when they seem to think everybody is called 'Ken'?)
Old Aug 15, 2011, 3:21 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by will2288
'their custom': I don't know what that phrase means (I'm American). Perhaps someone can fill me in.
If someone says "thank you for your custom", it basically means "thank you for being our customer".
Old Aug 15, 2011, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If someone says "thank you for your custom", it basically means "thank you for being our customer".
Many thanks indeed.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott LTP/PE
Originally Posted by stut
Welcome over to UK & Ireland. We're lovely really.
No doubt. It was just unexpected. Like when you shown up at T5 and your flight is leaving from T3.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
ROFL... classic example... Can you imagine saying that almost anywhere in the US!
reporting on a bout of hysterics, my friend told her sister I was "laughing my fanny off"
Old Aug 15, 2011, 3:38 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Ah, been a while since I've been up on an EDI flight. Do they still greet you with "you'll have had your tea, then"?
Sadly very much a routine assumption now on BA Domestic no matter where you fly.

(Or do they just make foreigners wonder when they seem to think everybody is called 'Ken'?)
"Good afternoon. I am your captain today on this short flight to London Gatwick. The First Officer is in full command of the controls and is taking us on a southerly heading at a cruising speed of 750 kilometres per hour whilst muttering away at me at 70 kens per minute.

Meanwhile, those seated on the right hand side of the aircraft can now enjoy the wonderful view of Blackpool and Morecombe Bay below."
Old Aug 15, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by pinkcat
reporting on a bout of hysterics, my friend told her sister I was "laughing my fanny off"
Really? I've never heard that in the US. Where in the country was she from? That sounds like the kind of thing that a British person would make up to have a chuckle about funny expressions from elsewhere...
Old Aug 15, 2011, 3:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by buddman
Like when you shown up at T5 and your flight is leaving from T3.
I did just that a couple of months ago. Oh dear. I was lucky to have turned up very early or I'd have missed my flight to LIS. I now check the terminal a bit more carefully.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by ajax
Really? I've never heard that in the US. Where in the country was she from? That sounds like the kind of thing that a British person would make up to have a chuckle about funny expressions from elsewhere...
"Laughing my a** off" is pretty common American English. I think "working your fanny off" might be more common than laughing, but fanny definitely has a different meaning in the US and people are shocked when I tell them what it means over here. And then there's the whole fanny pack/bum bag divide.

As to OP's topic, "custom" is never used that way in American English. Sweet/savory is commonly known amongst foodies, but the general population I'm not so sure. AZ does phrase the question the same way to English-speaking passengers. I feel like I had a similar experience on KL, but I'm not certain.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 4:17 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by mtkeller
And then there's the whole fanny pack/bum bag divide.
I find myself on the "wouldn't be seen dead within 100 yards of one of the things" side of the divide, personally...
Old Aug 15, 2011, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Why do the N Americans call a courgette a zucchini?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Why do the N Americans call a courgette a zucchini?
For the same reason that the Italians do? (Though, actually, in Italian zucchini is plural, and zucchino is singular)
Old Aug 15, 2011, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
"Britain and America...two great nations divided by the same language." – Winston Churchill

"We have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language." – Oscar Wilde, The Canterville Ghost
Old Aug 15, 2011, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
For the same reason that the Italians do? (Though, actually, in Italian zucchini is plural, and zucchino is singular)
It's confusing.

After watching some American chef on the telly I once searched all the veg shops in Glasgow for zucchini without any success. None of them had even heard of it.......felt a right idiot when I found out what it was.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the past week I upset someone on here. I was in a rush and was talking about the problems in the stock market. I was explaining that the senior management go on holiday and therefore some people lower down dont have the experience to deal with certain amrket conditions.

I dont call older people senior people. However this person thought I was being very rude. It took me a little while to work out what the problem was.

In the UK I call them OAP's, I am not sure how this is going to change when the new retirement age starts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.