Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

British words and accents

British words and accents

Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Since this thread was brought to the head of the queue, a term I wouldn't have understood before my first UK trip in 1998, I felt this story was appropriate. On that trip, I flew into GLA, had some minor interactions with airline and car rental personnel, and then drove to St. Andrews. My hosts at the guest house I had booked were either university trained nearby or at some other prominent British institution. I understood them with no problems and figured I wasn't going to have any language adjustment problems.

Then, I drove down the road to play one of the courses at the Crail Golfing Society. I teed off alone but somewhere late in the front nine, I caught up with three locals who could either be described as artisans or laborers, depending on your viewpoint. Although I knew they were speaking English and that I should have understood what they were saying, it took me three or four holes to get into the rhythm, pattern, and accent of their speech. Plus, there were a few words that had American English meanings that clearly had a different meaning when used in the birthplace of the language.

I got knocked down a few pegs on how easy the transition would be. But I've enjoyed my many trips since. And I learned a valuable lesson about foreign travel--try to learn the language (even if you think it's your own) and celebrate the differences in language and culture that make the places you travel so interesting.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:40 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by andrewikl
Taps or faucets are the same. The main stopcock that you described would be called a valve.
For householders (and plumbers), you are spot on. For chemical engineers, any fitting that stops or regulated a flow (be it of a liquid or a gas) is a valve, including taps (British English) and faucets (American English). But although being a chemical engineer, I use 'taps' at home
Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Since this thread was brought to the head of the queue, a term I wouldn't have understood before my first UK trip in 1998, I felt this story was appropriate. On that trip, I flew into GLA, had some minor interactions with airline and car rental personnel, and then drove to St. Andrews. My hosts at the guest house I had booked were either university trained nearby or at some other prominent British institution. I understood them with no problems and figured I wasn't going to have any language adjustment problems.

Then, I drove down the road to play one of the courses at the Crail Golfing Society. I teed off alone but somewhere late in the front nine, I caught up with three locals who could either be described as artisans or laborers, depending on your viewpoint. Although I knew they were speaking English and that I should have understood what they were saying, it took me three or four holes to get into the rhythm, pattern, and accent of their speech. Plus, there were a few words that had American English meanings that clearly had a different meaning when used in the birthplace of the language.

I got knocked down a few pegs on how easy the transition would be. But I've enjoyed my many trips since. And I learned a valuable lesson about foreign travel--try to learn the language (even if you think it's your own) and celebrate the differences in language and culture that make the places you travel so interesting.
If it's any consolation many English people find some Scottish accents incomprehensible,particularly when they're uttered with whiskey on the breath late at night on Sauchiehall Street.

You may find this amusing ...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cz5eC-U0Cc
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:36 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Clint Bint
Scottish [...] whiskey
Careful, now!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stut
Careful, now!
Schoolboy error in fairness !
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver
If it's any consolation many English people find some Scottish accents incomprehensible
In fairness, even we can't understand Fifers or Aberdonians!
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
My son in law is Scottish - Girvan Ayrshire - and I sometimes struggle especially after he has had a wee dram.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
If it's any consolation many English people find some Scottish accents incomprehensible,particularly when they're uttered with whiskey on the breath late at night on Sauchiehall Street.

You may find this amusing ...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cz5eC-U0Cc
Sounds about right! On that same trip on the flight to Scotland, I remember listening to a Billy Connolly bit on one of the airplane's audio channels. He made a joke that Glasgow was the only city in Scotland that would run a ring road through the center of the city. Uproarious laughter from the audience to a joke that I didn't get, including understanding what a ring road was--until after arriving in Scotland and driving in Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Aberdeen.

Of course, for many years, we didn't think a thing about doing exactly that in just about every city in the US.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by andrewikl
Taps or faucets are the same. The main stopcock that you described would be called a valve.
The converse story here. I have a vacation home in the USA which we use for holiday lets. I phoned our Manager to say that the plug in the bathroom was broken. He summoned an electrician!
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The converse story here. I have a vacation home in the USA which we use for holiday lets. I phoned our Manager to say that the plug in the bathroom was broken. He summoned an electrician!
That's his fault, even in the U.S. The thing you need an electrician for would be an outlet, a socket, or something else. A plug, in an electrical context, is a thing with prongs on the end of a cord.

However, over here you'd use that home for vacation rentals.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Ya Ken fit am sayin ya loon?

Nothing wrong with moray/aberdonian etc when you've lived up here that long!

I have a smoggie accent but have toned it down a lot due to working with people from all over the UK. My mates always comment on how strong it is or can be even after only being on the phone to my brother for 2 or 3 minutes.

On the tea/brew bit I was on a U.S. Airways flight in F and asked if I could 'have my tea now' the cabin crew then brought me a cup of tea until I explained I wanted my food
Old Feb 20, 2016, 5:27 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Did they say "you'll have had your tea, then"?
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Breakfast, dinner and tea rather than breakfast lunch and dinner
Old Feb 20, 2016, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jamier45
Ya Ken fit am sayin ya loon?

Nothing wrong with moray/aberdonian etc when you've lived up here that long!

I have a smoggie accent but have toned it down a lot due to working with people from all over the UK. My mates always comment on how strong it is or can be even after only being on the phone to my brother for 2 or 3 minutes.

On the tea/brew bit I was on a U.S. Airways flight in F and asked if I could 'have my tea now' the cabin crew then brought me a cup of tea until I explained I wanted my food
I've been up your way on several occasions. Can you tell we're from America when you hear us call your home town "Loss--ee--MOUTH"?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 2:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Breakfast, dinner and tea rather than breakfast lunch and dinner
That's the only way isn't it?

Originally Posted by stut
Did they say "you'll have had your tea, then"?
She was a bit confused at first but then got my food for me after explaining she also asked if she could bring me another brew and if I would judge her tea making skills. I asked her if I could be brutally honest then proceeded to tell her it was pretty rubbish and showed her how to make a proper brew, I've never seen someone pay so much attention at how to make a cup of tea.

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I've been up your way on several occasions. Can you tell we're from America when you hear us call your home town "Loss--ee--MOUTH"?
I'm not a local just based up here for my sins we don't get many Americans until the Scottish open is on or a U.S. Squadron comes for an exercise, then they all come flooding in to fly or play the Moray course and the course at Inverness.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.