Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Barclay's ATM at Heathrow?

Barclay's ATM at Heathrow?

Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Custardthecat
I haven't seen a Barclays ATM in T1 arrivals. What I have seen (I think!) is an Amex ATM which is sort of blueish and could be mistaken for a Barclays one. There is a Travelex one at the exit doors and the Amex one is on the opposite side near WH Smith.

I have a suspicion that there might be a Barclays ATM in arrivals in T5 at the South end of the landside arrivals concourse. I think there is a group of about 3 including a Clydesdale Bank, possibly an HSBC and maybe something else (Barclays?). At the other end there is a Travelex ATM.

Will check next time I'm there.
Yes, there is a Barclay's ATM landside in T5. I just used it two weeks ago. When you walk out into the arrivals concourse, turn left... it will be down on the left-hand side, past the arcade. Right across from the Krispy Kreme.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by blase
Yes, there is a Barclay's ATM landside in T5. I just used it two weeks ago. When you walk out into the arrivals concourse, turn left... it will be down on the left-hand side, past the arcade. Right across from the Krispy Kreme.
Great to know!
Old Oct 7, 2011, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Virgin Flying Club Red, Swiss M&M Blue
I'm suprised that people are willing to transfer to other terminals/ caych buses etc to avoid the charge.

I dont like payijng to withdraw cash but am sure I couldnt be bothered with this amouhnt of effort for such a small fee.

(Yes I Know it may not be small to some but in the whole scehemof things when discussing international flights it's a samll amount)

Could always get some currency before you trtavel. You're going to have to pay some kind of exchange fees soimewhere along the line anyway hidden or not.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi all,

I landed at T5 today an planned to pull out ££ from the Barclays cash machine and found this:

It was still a Barclays machine when I flew out two weeks ago. All the cash machines in T5 Arrivals are now Travelex machines. They have signage that they are free for UK banks, but I needed £ from my BofA account, so chose to wait until I got home.

robin

Last edited by rwoman; Mar 10, 2012 at 12:03 pm
Old Mar 10, 2012, 8:15 am

Boo.

With the Travelex machines, it should be possible should it not to avoid the Dynamic Currency Conversion trap - i.e. to reject their 'kind offer' of a guaranteed exchange rate (a guaranteed bad exchange rate, more like), and just benefit from the standard Visa/Mastercard wholesale rate plus whatever charges your bank / credit card provider adds on for foreign transactions (and of course in the case of credit cards, cash advances) ?

Of course, that doesn't help those who are after a Barclays ATM in order to take advantage of the fee-free benefits of the Global ATM Alliance.

Are any of the ATMs within the confines of Paddington station Barclays machines?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are any of the ATMs within the confines of Paddington station Barclays machines?
I'm sure there are some nearby - I'll be there next weekend and will check.

There is also the Barclays branch across from Hatton Cross Tube Station.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 9:03 am

There's a Barclays Bank branch on Spring Street just outside Paddington station, but I was really thinking of the weary traveller who's just arrived bleary-eyed off a transatlantic flight and who might not be all that keen to go out on a hunt for an ATM.

I don't pay a great deal of attention as to who provides what ATMs where (UK cardholders don't need to), but I've a feeling that NatWest, Lloyds TSB and Santander are the more widespread providers at railway stations, so Barclays might not feature within the station.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Mizter T
Boo.

With the Travelex machines, it should be possible should it not to avoid the Dynamic Currency Conversion trap - i.e. to reject their 'kind offer' of a guaranteed exchange rate (a guaranteed bad exchange rate, more like), and just benefit from the standard Visa/Mastercard wholesale rate plus whatever charges your bank / credit card provider adds on for foreign transactions (and of course in the case of credit cards, cash advances) ?
Yes it is. You just have to press the right buttons. I have a fee-free MasterCard debit card so I always make sure to decline DCC.
Originally Posted by Mizter T
Of course, that doesn't help those who are after a Barclays ATM in order to take advantage of the fee-free benefits of the Global ATM Alliance.

I don't think so. There are Lloyds, NatWest, and Raphael Bank there, but not, as far as I know, any Barclays.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:10 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by stifle
I don't think so. There are Lloyds, NatWest, and Raphael Bank there, but not, as far as I know, any Barclays.
the ATM locator on www.link.co.uk shows that the nearest Barclays ATM is, indeed, across the road on Spring Street. (And none in LHR.)

I've found Travelex machines to be somewhat optimistic with what they expect you to withdraw:

(This particular one, in Westfield Stratford, only let me me withdraw multiples of £20, but did give me some tenners.)
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Some machines will present those choices if they think you're using a credit card for a cash advance. You can still choose "other".
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Be wary of reliability of Barclays ATMs. I've now seen 2 out of service (after hour) in my 4 recent visits to the UK. Anecdotal, I know, but not good if you have no UK currency. Of course, if you really need cash you can simply pay the ATM usage fee + forex that some US banks charge, which are conveniently detailed in the Wiki and a running thread in the Miles forum.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:35 am

Barclays has been selling its ATMs to Raphael`s Bank a small bank located in London which operates ATMs offering foreign currency. The ATMs retain a Barclays colour scheme and are taken by most people, including myself to belong to Barclays and therefore to be slightly more likely to be reputable than those of a bank, which most people have never heard of.

These machines are marked up in very small print as belonging to Raphael`s Bank and contain only a telephone number. They offer a very poor rate of exchange, which is quoted to you before you complete the transaction.

But my personal experience has been much worse, than being cheated on the exchange rate. I used a machine located at Ocean Village, Gibraltar, close to the marina. It billed my London account at Barclays with the equivalent of €800 which was £640 in sterling. It issued a receipt for this amount and my account was immediately debited.

However it issued no cash. The cash gate did not open and the sorting machine made no sound of sorting notes. I tried it again shortly afterwards with another card and it duly delivered €30.

I am personally convinced that this machine had been tampered with by someone in Gibraltar who had programmed it not to deliver on large requests for euro currency notes, but to permit small ones to proceed.

After 6 weeks and innumerable phone calls to awful call centres neither Barclays nor Raphael`s Bank has given me any answer let alone any money back. Neither has given any explanation Raphael`s bank even expressed annoyance that I was phoning them.

I would advise all air passengers through Heathrow to avoid Raphael`s machines. You will need to read very small print to see which bank operates the machine that you find. But if it is Raphael`s Bank, then I consider that there is a chance that you will encounter the same fate as I did.

If the organisation is incapable of controlling fraudulent tampering at Gibraltar then I consider it unlikely that it will be able to control it at Heathrow, where the takings will be so much greater. It also operates machines at other airports and in the London area.

Last edited by BryanMonroe; Sep 24, 2012 at 3:43 am
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BryanMonroe
Barclays has been selling its ATMs to Raphael`s Bank a small bank located in London which operates ATMs offering foreign currency. The ATMs retain a Barclays colour scheme and are taken by most people, including myself to belong to Barclays and therefore to be slightly more likely to be reputable than those of a bank, which most people have never heard of.

These machines are marked up in very small print as belonging to Raphael`s Bank and contain only a telephone number. They offer a very poor rate of exchange, which is quoted to you before you complete the transaction.

But my personal experience has been much worse, than being cheated on the exchange rate. I used a machine located at Ocean Village, Gibraltar, close to the marina. It billed my London account at Barclays with the equivalent of €800 which was £640 in sterling. It issued a receipt for this amount and my account was immediately debited.

However it issued no cash. The cash gate did not open and the sorting machine made no sound of sorting notes. I tried it again shortly afterwards with another card and it duly delivered €30.

I am personally convinced that this machine had been tampered with by someone in Gibraltar who had programmed it not to deliver on large requests for euro currency notes, but to permit small ones to proceed.

After 6 weeks and innumerable phone calls to awful call centres neither Barclays nor Raphael`s Bank has given me any answer let alone any money back. Neither has given any explanation Raphael`s bank even expressed annoyance that I was phoning them.

I would advise all air passengers through Heathrow to avoid Raphael`s machines. You will need to read very small print to see which bank operates the machine that you find. But if it is Raphael`s Bank, then I consider that there is a chance that you will encounter the same fate as I did.

If the organisation is incapable of controlling fraudulent tampering at Gibraltar then I consider it unlikely that it will be able to control it at Heathrow, where the takings will be so much greater. It also operates machines at other airports and in the London area.
Well, there are no Barclays machines at LHR anymore. I have not seen one here belonging to Raphael's, but it's good to keep in mind.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by rwoman
Well, there are no Barclays machines at LHR anymore. I have not seen one here belonging to Raphael's, but it's good to keep in mind.
There is a Raphaels one in Luton Airport, I have used it a number of times and never had a problem.

Neil
Old Sep 29, 2012, 5:51 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the absence of real major bank ATM machines at LHR is an absolute scandal. If they are still there, they are certainly well-hidden from this somewhat regular visitor. This never used to be the case.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.