Wiki Posts
Search

tesco/asda near lhr

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2011, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
tesco/asda near lhr

can anyone suggest a big tesco /asda near lhr that i could reach easily from lhr using bus or/and walking?/

thanks
Old Jan 12, 2011, 6:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Tesco Express in Hounslow
Tesco in Feltham
Tesco Extra in Osterley/Isleworth.

None walkable per-se, but bus travel should be easy enough
Old Jan 12, 2011, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by colmc
Tesco Express in Hounslow
Tesco Express means it's a convenience store - not a large supermarket.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
There is an ASDA near Hounslow Central Underground, there is also a Tesco Express nearby. If you prefer to take a bus you could take #423 from T5 and get off at the Bell or the last stop (Hounslow Bus Termnial). I'm not certain if #423 also goes to T1/2/3 and T4.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: MUCCI
The 285 bus (24 hours a day) from Heathrow goes past a decent sized Tesco (called 'Dukes Green' IIRC) on the way to Feltham, the bus connects to Feltham railway station and there is an Asda right there. Think the Tesco is even an annouced stop on the bus displays, but it is hard to miss if you keep a look out.
(There is also a Lidl close to the station as well.)
Feltham station is zone 6, and the 285 is inside the London Busses area, so covered by normal ticket rates / travelcards / oyster price caps.

Both the Tesco and the Asda are open 24 hours a day (obviously only until midnight Sat with limited hours on Sundays due to trading laws, opening monday 6am, otherwise 24 hours).

EDITED TO ADD: The 90 and 490 go past the Tesco as well, the 90 doesn't come into the station at feltham but goes down the highstreet, this just as easy (or easier) for Asda, but less apparent when you have arrived.

Last edited by David-A; Jan 12, 2011 at 7:48 pm
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:27 am

There's the Tesco Extra just off The Parkway - Tesco call it the "Hayes Bull Bridge" branch

But have a look at the Store Locator - Asda have similar
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Tesco Express means it's a convenience store - not a large supermarket.
I know - hence I laid out the three size options, just in case
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

wow-thanks for the detailed responses-i am actually staying at the marriott.heathrow..would these still be easiest to get to on the bus-(i can see the store locator) but dont know anything bout the bus/subway routes..

thanks
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
wow-thanks for the detailed responses-i am actually staying at the marriott.heathrow..would these still be easiest to get to on the bus-(i can see the store locator) but dont know anything bout the bus/subway routes..

thanks
Yes. Very, very easy.

I'll describe how to get to the ones I mentioned as I could do it blindfolded.
[So that is the store that Tesco call "Feltham Dukes Green" and the Asda next to feltham station.

The 285 bus stops right outside your hotel.
To head to the stores I mentioned you want the stop on your side of the road.

- If you have a pay-as-you-go oyster card, then each journey will debit Ł1.30 unless you have already hit the daily maximum charge, in which case it will cost nothing.
- If paying cash, each journey will cost Ł2.20!
- If you have a paper 'travelcard', then these journeys stay within the covered area (some london busses do head outside the area covered by the travelcards). so if you have a travelcard it should cover it.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14415.aspx

Stick your arm out to stop the bus in plenty of time for the driver to see it.

You can get a timetable here:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/4867.aspx

Stick 285 into the route number box midway down the page.
Select "Towards Kingston" (The 285 runs between Kingston and Heathrow, you want to head away form heathrow)
Click on the stop you are starting from to get a timetable from there. Your stop should be "New Road / Bath Road"
This will give you a link to a PDF file showing the journey time in minutes to the later stops in the top half.
In the bottom half will be the departure times from that stop - when the bus should come by.

This is a 24 hour route, so the worst it should be is every 30 minutes in the dead of night. But, during peak traffic times the busses can get bunched up due to delays, and you might find a service supposed to run every 10-15 minutes has a gap of 40 minutes and then three buses within 5 minutes, etc.

If you go here, you can stick in the bus route 285 and see the route:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/

The bus takes a detour into Feltham station forecourt.
The ASDA is located close to the train station, you can see its sign from the station. (from the bus stops walk accross the level crossing to cross the train tracks (when the barriers are up) walk along the short road to the Mcdonalds, turn right onto Feltham high street, walk along the highstreet until the entrance to the asda is visble on a pathway to the right.

The Tesco is an earlier stop. I think the stop is called "Central Way" - the bus should have a display and automated voice announcing the stops, but not always and may be broken (occasionally it may be really broken and displaying incorrect info for another route, so check it seems to make sense as you go.)
The tesco will be on the right hand side, so sit where you can see out.

To stop the bus, you push one of the bell buttons in advance of your stop.
If you are not sure, tell the driver where you want to go, and they will often try to remember to stop.

[Generally you exit a bus through the doors on the side in the middle/towards the rear, but you board near the front. Espeically when there is a queue of people to board at the stop you are getting off.]

The tesco will be on the opposite side of the road from the bus stop, so cross at the crossing. The return bus stop is right outside Tesco.

Due to the big central reservation on bath road where your hotel is, coming back you will have to get off earlier to use the crossings at the big junction called "harlington corner". Because of this, you could just as easily get back the "90" bus, goes from the tesco to the same stop (but it then continues towards hayes and harlington station, not along bath road).

For the feltham asda, either take the 285 back from feltham station or the 90 from feltham high street (which will be apparant when you are there).
Note, at feltham station the two stops for the 285 in different directions (you want the one towards heathrow).

Last edited by David-A; Jan 15, 2011 at 4:19 am
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

wow again-cant you be on every forum?
thats incredibly detailed-youve made my trip to the uk very easy!!!!!!
thanks again
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

im sorry-looks like i made an error,its the sheraton heathrow not the marriott.
does thsat change the route much?

thanks again and sorry
Old Jan 15, 2011, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
im sorry-looks like i made an error,its the sheraton heathrow not the marriott.
does thsat change the route much?

thanks again and sorry
Which Sheraton? The "Sheraton Heathrow" or the "Sheraton Skyline Heathrow"?

If the skyline, not much difference at all, if the other one then it does make a difference, BUT it is still perfectly 'do able'.

Let me know if it is the "heathrow" or the "skyline heathrow", if the former I'll post a revised route I'd take. If the latter, it is so close to the marriott that it makes no difference.

Do you mind if I ask what the purpose of the trips is? [Stocking up on UK supplies etc?] - It's just there might be other places you can get what you want.... Also, how long is your UK trip and will you be going / staying anywhere else or just LHR stopover,etc?
[Again, there might be better ways to do things depending upon the answer.]
Old Jan 15, 2011, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by David-A
If the latter, it is so close to the marriott that it makes no difference.
About <.......................................> this far way. The width of a fence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.